Hobbs NX-Studio Build

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Hobbs NX-Studio Build
« Reply #200 on: 16 Apr 2021, 01:18 am »
I swapped out the Mills resistors in my Studios with Path Audios and yea, these are the way to go. Between these and the VCAP I have on the tweeter circuit, the speakers seem to have a more holographic soundstage and more resolution than stock.

Glad to hear! Im excited to hear the results once my kit comes in!   :thumb:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #201 on: 26 Apr 2021, 07:48 pm »
Finally time for some lacquer clear coats!  :thumb:
Then some sanding, and more clear coats & more sanding.

Beerbellydad

« Reply #202 on: 26 Apr 2021, 08:00 pm »
Stunning. That dyed veneer really pops!

Barryg443

« Reply #203 on: 27 Apr 2021, 03:14 am »
That really looks great.  Love the red, outstanding work! :D

Nick B

« Reply #204 on: 27 Apr 2021, 03:20 am »
That’s really beautiful work!

jonsk2514

« Reply #205 on: 27 Apr 2021, 11:25 am »
Stunning!   :thumb:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #206 on: 27 Apr 2021, 12:18 pm »
Thanks, y'all!  :thumb:
I'm pretty dang happy with them so far!
Probably gunna use another can or two of lacquer for each of these.
Cant wait for the woofers & rest of the kit to finally arrive!

RonP

« Reply #207 on: 27 Apr 2021, 01:03 pm »
Hobbs,

I'll PM you my address and you can ship 'em on over!  :lol:

Looking great!

jonsk2514

« Reply #208 on: 27 Apr 2021, 01:41 pm »
Thanks, y'all!  :thumb:
I'm pretty dang happy with them so far!
Probably gunna use another can or two of lacquer for each of these.
Cant wait for the woofers & rest of the kit to finally arrive!

Dang, that’s right.  Just a pretty piece of artwork for now...
 :popcorn:

Digi-G

« Reply #209 on: 27 Apr 2021, 05:08 pm »
Looking very nice.   :thumb:

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #210 on: 2 May 2021, 09:44 am »
Finally time for some lacquer clear coats!  :thumb:
Then some sanding, and more clear coats & more sanding.

So nice Hobbs. I wish I had not bought the Elac Unifi 52 when you said it and put the coin into these. I think I might be letting the Elacs go. I am just time poor atm.

Nice work Hobbs.

SC

Jmitchell3

« Reply #211 on: 2 May 2021, 04:43 pm »
Awesome!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #212 on: 2 May 2021, 07:12 pm »
Thanks, y'all! Im super happy with them so far! Jut a couple more coats to go, but I'm currently out of town, so it'll have to wait for now. :P

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #213 on: 3 May 2021, 08:55 pm »
So let me get you my address for shipping! Ha!
Awesome! They look great!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #214 on: 4 May 2021, 12:57 am »
LOL Thanks! They're certainly not perfect, but at 3ft, you'd be hard pressed to find any flaws.

I'm currently out of state, but they need a tad more sanding and a couple more fine coats. I'm still trying to figure out how to best use my spray gun, but I think ive just about got it figured out. Some of my first sprays were a bit textured and still are, but ive definitely gotten a better feel for it.

Here's how they looked before I left for my trip.

Fltguy

« Reply #215 on: 4 May 2021, 08:09 pm »
Will the artist be signing those to acknowledge his work?

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #216 on: 16 Jun 2021, 01:35 am »
Ha ha he better be singing them when he’s done. Some day they will get around. And see it.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #217 on: 20 Jun 2021, 05:25 pm »
After showing Danny my over-sized Miflex cap, he recommended that I go with an external crossover, since it would take up too much airspace within the cabinet.

So I spent about 30 min this morning laying out some possible design ideas that sould work for something I can place bedside the speaker, or on the floor, as needed.

Here's what I think will work best within a roughly 8.5x10x6 inch box:

Internal space will be roughly 7x8.5x4.5 inches. I left out the resistors cuz they're small and easy to place, even with 4 of them.
(They also dont make/sell the exact values I need, so they'll be run in series pairs to match what's needed).

They'll probably just be black boxes, each with 6 female tube connectors & a removable panel once theyre all finished. And a couple sets of wires for desk or stand use as needed. :P

The real trick will be drilling another pair of holes in the cabinets for the second pair of tube connectors, without damaging the veneer or blowing out the inside of the MDF.. lol

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #218 on: 21 Jun 2021, 10:15 pm »

You trying to compensate for something with that Miflex cap?  :lol:

I’m curious about the foil conductors you’re using there. What brand and who sells them?

Looking forward to seeing these finished and your impressions.

I’ll add that I ordered some Vcap ODAM’s for the tweeter to try in my Studios. Have used them in amps and they’re superb.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #219 on: 22 Jun 2021, 03:09 am »
You trying to compensate for something with that Miflex cap?  :lol:

I’m curious about the foil conductors you’re using there. What brand and who sells them?

Looking forward to seeing these finished and your impressions.

I’ll add that I ordered some Vcap ODAM’s for the tweeter to try in my Studios. Have used them in amps and they’re superb.

LMAO, Nah they're honestly just A LOT bigger than I expected them to be...  :lol:
But I wanted to take these as far as I "reasonbly" could afford, plus they were on sale, and had lots of great feedback from several others here.

Plus the foil inductors are going to be an available upgrade on the site fairly soon, and they were already part of the plan to push them that next step further. I'm excited to get these finished and have them.

I'm probably going to make the crossover boxes match the towers, tho probably using figured or curly maple, tho I'm planning ahead and going to use paper backed veneer this time.. (Raw, quilted maple, while beautiful, is not a good place for a noob like me to start... But I somehow managed... Lol

Red dyed & toned the same with a black top that can be removed for maintenance if needed. Theyll probably get finished in a satin or semi gloss.

I've seen a couple people recommend VCap ODAMs lately, but I'll probably save that for another project in the future.

The amount of copper in this box will be wild.. Probably 6-8 pounds per crossover? The tweeter cap alone is 3-4lb, easy.

It'll be interesting trying to design a mounting board for these like i did with my X-statik. Esp since they came out to be roughly 7"x8" when tightly packed like in the pic. Not to mention the cap being massive... It might end up as an L-shaped board that just fits around it. Or has a sort of "cradle" built into it... Hmmm

Once i get moved into my apartment this week, i can work on designing things again.. :P