Can you recommend one living jazz muscian that I should know about

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
   Christian McBride would be my first recommendation.  One of my favorite musicians alive today

Beat me to it.

charles

jimbop54

Gonzalo Rubalcaba

Miguel Zenon

richidoo

Bird Lives! Now and forever. His 100th birthday on Saturday, WKCR streaming all known recordings.

Among the living, I have great respect for Bill Evans (sax.) I heard him play as featured sideman with a really great jazz trio in 1983 when he was 25yo. After his solo on The Way You Look Tonight, the great drummer Alan Dawson stopped playing, put down his sticks stood up and clapped while the rest of the band kept playing the tune. That was very out of character for Alan, but he knew it was a great moment in jazz and he recognized it.  I have not heard anything since then to surpass Bill's performance playing straight ahead bop. But he plays rock on his own records and gigs so it's moot. In my mind he is the greatest living jazz musician, even though he doesn't play jazz anymore.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
I cant praise enough Sax Gordon
a most favorite show man.

Jeff_From_Michigan

Brian Blade, drummer extraordinaire.

gonefishin

What a great list, keep'em coming!

Some of the people mentioned I feel lucky enough to have seen them play.  Some of these others I'll certainly put on my list to listen to, and keep an eye open when they're coming in my area.  It was some while ago when I was listening to some music thinking about all the great musicians I didn't get to see while they were alive.  Then it struck me that I need to make it a point to see some of the many greats that are still alive.

thanks so much for the suggestions!

avta

Wynton Marsalis.

vilding

• Musician. Audiophile on a budget.
+1 for Brian Blade! He has also played for a long time with Wayne Shorter, who turned 87 yesterday, and is very much alive.
Danilo Perez on Piano and John Patitucci on bass are also part of that combo. Insane musicianship! Check out the albums "Without a net" and "Alegria".

Other contemporary favourites of mine (That I didn't find posted) include Robert Glasper (piano), Chris Potter (sax), Gretchen Parlato (vocals) and  Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah (trumpet). This is really just scratching the surface of the incredible contemporaray jazz scene.

Also! In this thread Brad Meldhau, Cristian Mcbride and Joshua Redman were metioned. Add Brian Blade and you'll have the first edition of the Joshua Redman quartet from 94´, who came toghether and recorded an album for the first time since then this year, titled "Roundagain". Check it out!

Now I'm gonna stop myself. Must. Hold. back... ....jaaaazzzzz....

Photon46

Carla Bley doesn't get nearly enough credit for her inventive composition IMO, she's incredible.

harry71

Guitarist Jeff Parker

I've been really enjoying his is latest album, "Suite for Max Brown". Makaya McCraven, who was already mentioned in this thread, plays drums on a few of the tracks.

Bob Stark

Bass player Marcus Miller--started out playing with Miles Davis in the 60's.

Jeff_From_Michigan

Trumpeter Ron Miles is another great one to check out.

gonefishin

I wish this forum had the ability to "like" a post, like a lot of other forums.  There are so many of these posts that I want to acknowledge what great suggestions but I don't necessarily want to clog up the thread with a quote and saying that I agree.

Awesome, awesome suggestions.
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2020, 10:11 pm by gonefishin »

JDoyle

I wish this forum had the ability to "like" a post, like a lot of other forums.  There are so many of these posts that I want to acknowledge what great suggestions but I don't necessarily want to clog up the thread with a quote and saying that I agree.

Awesome, awesome suggestions.

Like!

JDoyle

I’ve been struggling with a name for you, I decided to go with one that you probably never heard of... hope you enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/LfX5sZCW6qI

JD

gonefishin

I’ve been struggling with a name for you, I decided to go with one that you probably never heard of... hope you enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/LfX5sZCW6qI

JD

I would definitely look him up if I was up north!  The Pond, at Blue Frog Studios looks real nice too!

Thanks!

I cant praise enough Sax Gordon
a most favorite show man.

Yep, nice pick!  Thanks

Trumpeter Ron Miles is another great one to check out.

real nice.  Looks like he plays at a variety of places.  I would be looking for something smaller, but I'll definitely keep my eyes open.  I seen a couple of shows in the DC area, Blues Alley would be nice

dburna

Bill Frisell.

misterclean

David Murray, Rudresh Mahanthappa, Joe Lovano, and James Carter

Larkston Zinaspic

Philip Catherine