New member new to Spatial

loki7177

Re: New member new to Spatial
« Reply #20 on: 25 Aug 2020, 01:21 pm »
I have M3's and a Rythmik F12.  I don't even use the sub anymore.  In my 14x14x8 room I have a really bad bass mode.  I had Paradigms, Totems, and Harbeth speakers before and they all excited the 50Hz mode.  These OB speakers have completely eliminated that problem.  I also did an in home demo of the Focal Sopra 2's.  In store I demoed the Sopra's against the Kanta's and it was no contest.  The Sopra line is so much better in every way.  To me Spatials are better than the Sopra 2's in every way except for looks.  Not that the Spatials look bad but the Sopra's are top notch in that category.  In my room with measurements with REW I get usable bass from the M3 down into the 20 hertz' range so no need to worry about blending in a sub.

I have similar taste in music.  I listen to most of the material you listed.  I also have a Mac preamp, the C2600.   I was torn between M3 and X3 when I made my purchase.  I emailed Clayton and he call me the same evening.  I explained to him my situation and he told me the M3 was the way to go.  I ordered them immediately after I got off the phone.  I received them in March and haven't looked back.  The best audio purchase I have ever made and that is saying something since there have been many audio purchases.

sockpit

« Reply #21 on: 25 Aug 2020, 03:56 pm »
I use my m5s with a rythmik 15 inch sealed sub. I think it is a  fantastic pairing.

I have the M5s in a small 11 by 14 inch office.  I find them a little bass poor, but suspect this is a room acoustics problem.  Were my room larger, I would have gotten the M3s or even X5s. I have GIK bass traps on order to try to enhance bass quality and quantity (counterintuitive, but Clayton said it would help and GIK said this was a no brainer).

In the meantime, I've added back my trusty REL T1 sub, crossed over as low as it can go to give me the foundation that REL's "sub-bass" product are famous for.  It has helped, but will need to reassess everything once I get the treatments installed in early October. I'd like to be able to do without the REL.  One less thing to fuss with!  At that point I just want to enjoy the music and quit analyzing the sound.

JTF

« Reply #22 on: 25 Aug 2020, 04:30 pm »
I have the M5s in a small 11 by 14 inch office.  I find them a little bass poor, but suspect this is a room acoustics problem.

The room definitely plays a role. I have bass problems with X5s in my room. They fall off sharply at 50hz and I had a large dip between 100-200hz. I posted about this with some measurements after adding bass traps on another thread, I'll link it below. I'm going to build a few more traps and see where I stand at that point, but ultimately I may add subs into the mix.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=171547.msg1818968#msg1818968

Rushca01

« Reply #23 on: 25 Aug 2020, 05:25 pm »
I have M3's and a Rythmik F12.  I don't even use the sub anymore.  In my 14x14x8 room I have a really bad bass mode.  I had Paradigms, Totems, and Harbeth speakers before and they all excited the 50Hz mode.  These OB speakers have completely eliminated that problem.  I also did an in home demo of the Focal Sopra 2's.  In store I demoed the Sopra's against the Kanta's and it was no contest.  The Sopra line is so much better in every way.  To me Spatials are better than the Sopra 2's in every way except for looks.  Not that the Spatials look bad but the Sopra's are top notch in that category.  In my room with measurements with REW I get usable bass from the M3 down into the 20 hertz' range so no need to worry about blending in a sub.

I have similar taste in music.  I listen to most of the material you listed.  I also have a Mac preamp, the C2600.   I was torn between M3 and X3 when I made my purchase.  I emailed Clayton and he call me the same evening.  I explained to him my situation and he told me the M3 was the way to go.  I ordered them immediately after I got off the phone.  I received them in March and haven't looked back.  The best audio purchase I have ever made and that is saying something since there have been many audio purchases.

WOW, thank you for the awesome review.  We must be about the same age (due to music taste).  It’s also nice to see you are running similar gear (Mac preamp) and were considering Focals as well.  Did you look at any other OB speaker companies?  Based on your other posts I noticed we have the same taste in home theater receivers.  I have an anthem AVM60. 
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2020, 10:13 pm by Rushca01 »

morganc

« Reply #24 on: 25 Aug 2020, 05:58 pm »
I have the X-5's and though I have not heard the M Series, I would suggest that you talk to Clayton or listen to them both if possible before deciding so that you know you made the right choice!  I love the tweeter and the bass on my X-5's.  They are quite sublime. 

sockpit

« Reply #25 on: 25 Aug 2020, 06:22 pm »
The room definitely plays a role. I have bass problems with X5s in my room. They fall off sharply at 50hz and I had a large dip between 100-200hz. I posted about this with some measurements after adding bass traps on another thread, I'll link it below. I'm going to build a few more traps and see where I stand at that point, but ultimately I may add subs into the mix.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=171547.msg1818968#msg1818968

Thanks. I had seen that and it heartened me to see that you're getting results!  I'm too lazy to build my own, so am relying on GIK and they've been great to work with.

loki7177

« Reply #26 on: 26 Aug 2020, 02:24 am »
I did hear the Pure Audio Project speakers at the NY audio show in 2018.  However, I didn't know what OB speakers offered then and wasn't paying too much attention to them.  I wish I did now.  They are priced a little higher than Spatial's though.  I also love Magnepans.  If I could have fit 3.7i's in my room I may have never discovered Spatial.  I have LRS in my second system and love the Magnepan sound.  The 3.7i would have required a sub though.  The best system I have ever listened to are GT Audioworks ribbon speakers with open baffle subwoofers.  It is about a 30K+ speaker setup but it had it all.  Maybe one day for me.

WOW, thank you for the awesome review.  We must be about the same age (due to music taste).  It’s also nice to see you are running similar gear (Mac preamp) and were considering Focals as well.  Did you look at any other OB speaker companies?  Based on your other posts I noticed we have the same taste in home theater receivers.  I have an anthem AVM60.

Rushca01

« Reply #27 on: 5 Sep 2020, 12:07 pm »
Has anyone ever used the 60 day money back guarantee ie..ever returned a pair? 

Jprod

« Reply #28 on: 5 Sep 2020, 12:59 pm »
Has anyone ever used the 60 day money back guarantee ie..ever returned a pair?
I did - to upgrade. 
I originally had the m3 turbo s.  Once the new m series came out I exchanged them for the m5s.  My basement is large so the m5s were not quite cutting it in the bass department. After talking to Clayton , he recommended the x5 and I have never looked back. They sound incredible and I have finally reached audio nirvana!
If your question is return rate only Clayton can answer.  If your question is ease of return , Clayton is more than generous with his trial window and returns are easy.

I’m not into superlatives generally but when you upgrade audio equipment most enhance your listening pleasure.  A few times you stumble across something that’s transformative.  The x5s for me fall into the latter category. 

Mr. Big

« Reply #29 on: 5 Sep 2020, 07:18 pm »
Lots of good info here. Yes, you can use subs with the M or X series, subs do more then add lows, they impact imaging and openness, as long as you don't set the volume too high and the crossover put. With any Spatial I not go higher than the crossover at 40Hz.