Fun With Speaker Design

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Fun With Speaker Design
« Reply #60 on: 30 Jan 2021, 05:21 pm »
Here's a full ranger. What about an NX Otica in WWMTMWW form sitting on top of a 14" cube with open back containing opposing servo 12s on each side of the box crossed over around 50Hz. Servo amp will have to be in it's own box.
Chris Hoff

Wouldn't that be the NX-Treme with the servo subs built into the bottom of them?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #61 on: 30 Jan 2021, 06:08 pm »
Wouldn't that be the NX-Treme with the servo subs built into the bottom of them?
Its more of a hybrid design between the Otica and Xtreme, like ones Ive drawn/designed previously, tho pics have disappeared thanks to a site-wide issue or something.
Tho i think they're talking about dual opposing subs in a single unit rather than most of my designs that were single servo sub units.

Tho that gives me an idea for a dual servo MTM tower...  :lol:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #62 on: 30 Jan 2021, 06:46 pm »
How about an NX-Treme with one sub at the bottom and one at the top?  You'd need a pretty damn big/tall room for it though.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #63 on: 30 Jan 2021, 06:57 pm »
How about an NX-Treme with one sub at the bottom and one at the top?  You'd need a pretty damn big/tall room for it though.

Yeah, you'd need roughly 10ft ceilings at a minimum and some serious bracing to support the upper sub.

VinceT

« Reply #64 on: 30 Jan 2021, 08:33 pm »
Hobbsmeerkat,

I have been following your NX-Studio build.

Since your NX-Studios are still under construction, it would be nothing for you to extent the front baffle to accommodate two NQ drivers and whip up another crossover to try my idea of a mini 3 way
NX-Static...lol

Another configuration would be MM(sealed)TMM

Stack it on top of two opposed 12's like you suggested, that would truly be a small footprint full range speaker. I would live to hear how that sealed driver sounds with that open baffle top.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #65 on: 30 Jan 2021, 11:53 pm »
Thats an interesting idea, tho i think it would be better suited to using 2 165NQ/16 and then two M160 woofers in the lower cabinet.

But here's a few designs that ive done in the past that have been lost thanks to the current glitch..

NX-STUDIO MTM tower:

NX-STUDIO "Center" with a rotatable waveguide:

Some various tower + sub combos:

Creative cut designs

« Reply #66 on: 31 Jan 2021, 12:14 am »
Hobbs i really like these wonder what they would sound like very nice work!

VinceT

« Reply #67 on: 31 Jan 2021, 02:57 am »
Thats an interesting idea, tho i think it would be better suited to using 2 165NQ/16 and then two M160 woofers in the lower cabinet.

The Studios do go down to what 55hz? X-static will dig a little deeper down the mid 40s.

You would be trading 10hz in low end but also would be having the issue of potentially 4 speaker positions once you add the subs. It would be interesting to compare 1 vs 2 sealed drivers and see how they blend with OB configurations. My objective would be just give the NX-MTM some more bottom and punch while keeping the speaker profile as small as possible.

Those designs you do are just fantastic.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #68 on: 31 Jan 2021, 03:25 am »
The Studios do go down to what 55hz? X-static will dig a little deeper down the mid 40s.

I think its actually a bit higher than that, the -3 dB is around 70Hz, but has a smoother roll-off thanks to its sealed cabinet.

I also designed a version that is the same as the MTM tower, but is essentially the center channel design with the lower section containing a servo sub, but it requires a side mounted or external sub amp. Otherwise the shape of the cabinet would need to change to more of a wedge design, like the majority of the NX line,

Edgar77

« Reply #69 on: 31 Jan 2021, 03:32 am »
It's great to see all these drawings.

I like to see drawings with measurements for the NX-Otica. Do they exist anywhere? I looked at Danny's website and the forum here but I didn't find any drawings.
CAD files would be even better.
Currently I learn Fusion 360. It's a great program. I "created" already the sub H-Frame in that program.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #70 on: 31 Jan 2021, 03:50 am »
I dont, sadly. Unfortunately, when Danny moved away from his old site & email server, it also took all his pictures and measurements with them.

But I really have enjoyed working on these over the past year! Hopefully once I'm done with my current projects, I can focus on them again, including more ideas for the deep cup mod, and some other ideas I've had since then.  :thumb:

Sajgre

« Reply #71 on: 31 Jan 2021, 08:49 am »

Some various tower + sub combos:

Now THAT I would build in a heartbeat if I knew it would sound almost as good as separate subs. Because I could live with that tower in my living room.
GREAT drawings!

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #72 on: 31 Jan 2021, 11:44 am »
Sajgre
Using DSP it would be awesome.
Chris Hoff

Edgar77

« Reply #73 on: 31 Jan 2021, 12:39 pm »

There is definitely a design flaw with the sub at the top.
Crank it up and the cabinets will start to dance to one side. ;)

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #74 on: 4 Feb 2021, 05:49 am »
Had the day off today, so I spend some time modeling out an idea i recently sketched up for the GRS-10. (Parts Experess Neo10 clone)

It's still pretty early in the design phase, but i thought it would be neat to create a laminated cabinet that uses a the sidewalls as diffusers to reduce back pressure on the driver by allowing a delay and diffraction of the back wave within the cabinet, but still playing around with it.

The plan is to make it a fully-planar monitor kinda like the SuperMini, but cheaper, with a sealed mid-range. Im curious how low it can play, I'm hoping for 150-200hz vs the 300Hz found in previous OB tests.

Should be 8" wide and about 9" deep, once i design the front baffle.
And likely 14-15" tall once the crossover base and tweeter section are designed.

One step at a time tho~

VinceT

« Reply #75 on: 4 Feb 2021, 02:17 pm »
Your cad skills are off the charts. There will be no resonances from that enclosure, very nice.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #76 on: 4 Feb 2021, 04:09 pm »
Your cad skills are off the charts. There will be no resonances from that enclosure, very nice.

Haha I dunno if I'd call what i do "CAD skills", considering i have no actual skill with proper 3D/CAD software.. (Or the money to afford the software/hardware that are often required) but I do enjoy the process of learning new skills, esp for stuff like this.
Thanks for the compliments tho! :thumb:

That's certainly the hope! Tho one thing ill probably work on is adding an extra set of nodes, which will allow the walls to be a little thicker since the narrow spots are about 9mm which is well under half an inch thick. So hopefully i can manage to get hose spots closer to 12-15mm at the narrowest.

The plan will also be to run the wiring under the base for the mid, and either inside the frame, or behind the baffle for the tweeter.

MarvinTheMartian

« Reply #77 on: 4 Feb 2021, 06:06 pm »

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #78 on: 4 Feb 2021, 06:15 pm »
Take a look Mayfly , diffusor interior walls.

https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/1515-mayfly-audio-systems-mf-201a-loudspeakers

Shawn

Yeah! that speaker was partially the inspiration for the design, but with a little less math/science involved :P

Edit:
This video was also part of the inspiration for this build:
https://youtu.be/VTvzyw6-iAQ

Edgar77

« Reply #79 on: 5 Feb 2021, 01:25 am »
Haha I dunno if I'd call what i do "CAD skills", considering i have no actual skill with proper 3D/CAD software.. (Or the money to afford the software/hardware that are often required) but I do enjoy the process of learning new skills, esp for stuff like this.
Thanks for the compliments tho! :thumb:

Which software do you use? SketchUp?
I tried a little in SketchUp and then I watched some videos about Fusion 360 and now I am learning that one. I think it's a great program.
This is my first "construction" in Fusion 360 according to Danny's plans.