NX Studio Monitor Flat Packs

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: NX Studio Monitor Flat Packs
« Reply #140 on: 26 Mar 2021, 02:45 pm »
Peter,

I took your advice and installed these press-fit inserts from McMaster-Carr. These are zinc-plated steel inserts, 4-40 thread size, were originally designed for soft metal.

Using a 7/32" drill bit, I drilled a 7/16" deep hole. Some epoxy and gentle coercion I got eight of these installed without a volcano.

That's cool. I have everything to do it but haven't yet.  Seems like a solid idea, would you agree now that you've done it? Even though it's not exactly how they're intended to be used, I imagined with the helix and epoxy the withdrawal strength would be more than enough for the task at hand. Is that your impression now that it's behind you?

chenson

« Reply #141 on: 3 May 2021, 09:40 pm »
Hello everyone. My name is Colin - I'm new here. I've been very slowly planning and working on my NX Studio build. I'm taking my time to do it right. I'm not in any hurry plus I have to wait for parts anyway.

I finally got around to gluing up the flat pack and thanks largely to Peter's video it came out nicely. As a side bonus I now own as many clamps as I'll probably ever need for the rest of my life.  :icon_lol:

I plan on applying a walnut veneer around the sides and back and then I'll paint the baffle. That seems like a common approach. So, my question for you is how do you handle the transition from the baffle to the veneered sides? On my build the baffle is at best, flush with with the sides (without veneer), and at worst a hair below the level of the sides. I was thinking of maybe trying to apply some Bondo to bring out the width of the baffle so that it is flush with the veneer once it is applied. Has anyone tried anything like this or do you have a better solution? I've never even worked with Bondo before so I'm not sure if this is a good solution or if I'm just asking for trouble.

JWCoffman

« Reply #142 on: 4 May 2021, 02:59 am »
Others here might have different thoughts, but I've used bondo under veneer with good results.  However, there are real limitations to bondo as the all-purpose stuff doesn't have much structural integrity and the glass infused stuff is a PITA to sand.  In your situation it would probably be fine and would be my first choice since it cures in just a few minutes, sands easily and readily accepts both paint and glue. In large quantities or over a large area I'd be worried about delamination of the bondo from the wood since they will react differently to thermal or humidity changes (as in, the wood will react but the bondo won't).  You would then end up with some bubbling under the veneer.  I've run into that issue with boat repairs where I got impatient and used too much bondo in place of epoxy.
Make sure to rough up the surface of the baffle before applying if it's not already rough.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #143 on: 4 May 2021, 03:13 am »
Use a table saw to cut shallow kerfs at the dividing line between the baffle and veneer. Gives a nice clean line. Only needs to be 1/16 inch deep. Maybe use a thin kerf blade. This is what I did on my NX Studio build.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #144 on: 4 May 2021, 02:00 pm »
Also, if you want the sides to be flush with the edge of the baffle, a better way than bondo is to just sand it flush with a sander (not a belt sander). The saw kerf technique makes this unnecessary.

JWCoffman

« Reply #145 on: 4 May 2021, 02:26 pm »
Also, if you want the sides to be flush with the edge of the baffle, a better way than bondo is to just sand it flush with a sander (not a belt sander). The saw kerf technique makes this unnecessary.
This would be the simplest solution, and would probably look great.

chenson

« Reply #146 on: 4 May 2021, 04:39 pm »
Oh, I like the idea of a shallow cut to create a nice line. I'll probably try that when I get to it. Thanks!

Fltguy

« Reply #147 on: 4 May 2021, 07:58 pm »
Chenson,

Greetings.

Interesting that you asked that question about veneered sides and the front baffle. Yesterday, I finished veneering my Studios. Today, I routed the forward edge of the veneer as it meets up with the baffle. I used a router with a straight bit. The cutter diameter is 1/16". I cut a shallow groove, I believe this is called a furniture cut. Literally, I borrowed the idea in hopes that visually, it would minimize the veneer standing proud of the baffle. The look is okay and I am going with it.

As I think about your dilemma, I wonder if gluing a veneer edge banding along the flat portion of the front baffle and then routing with a 1/2" round over would accomplish the look you seek. Ultimately, you will to paint the baffle black. It does not really matter what kind of wood is used for raising the edge.

The last picture is a magnified photo of the mahogany veneer proud of the baffle.

dbog

« Reply #148 on: 27 May 2021, 05:56 pm »
Does it make sense to do the veneering and furniture cut along with whatever paint/process on the baffle before the assembly.  I'm thinking of ordering the NX kit in the next few months and am gathering the info necessary to get them build with the least number of issues along the way.  Thanks

J@ck

« Reply #149 on: 27 May 2021, 08:54 pm »
It may be a long shot but I gotta ask.
Is it possible to have the flat pack made in Baltic Birch plywood?
The wave guide would look really good in BB plywood.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #150 on: 10 Jun 2021, 03:21 pm »
A little inspiration for those who are soon to receive parts to complete their NX Studios.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #151 on: 10 Jun 2021, 06:01 pm »
More gorgeous work, Peter!  :thumb:

hawkeyejw

« Reply #152 on: 10 Jun 2021, 07:02 pm »
Ohhh very nice, what kind of paint and process did you use for those? I like the sea foam interior, they going in a garage next to a boat?  :D

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #153 on: 10 Jun 2021, 07:04 pm »
Those look fantastic!  I want a pair like that but perhaps a different color.  Can you do orange? 

Then again I'm currently in no position to add speakers.  Too many other things need to happen before I can even consider new speakers.

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #154 on: 10 Jun 2021, 09:42 pm »
As always, i'm envious of your chops Sir Peter!!

Cheers,

Don

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #155 on: 11 Jun 2021, 01:23 am »
I should clarify. My work ended with raw sealed cabinets and grills shown earlier in this thread. They then went to Florida where the plan was to wrap. It's my understanding that the wrappers had some difficulty getting the material to stay put in waveguide so they painted the baffle and the rest is wrapped. Client sent me photos which I subsequently posted here.

I think he was inspired by the dramatic look of the "GR" pair, also earlier in this thread. I thought it was kinda fun to have an eye popping color that could be exposed as desired via the grill.

Party on Wayne!

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #156 on: 17 Jun 2021, 09:55 pm »
Well I finally got around to building my NX Studio kit. Bought the kit over a year ago before the flat packs were available and had a hard time getting help to cut and glue the cabinets. Eventually bought the flat packs here from Jay and had my buddy Robert glue them up for me and apply some Ebony veneer. The flat packs went together perfectly!

Was originally going to paint the baffle black like many others have done but liked the contrast of the bare mdf with the Ebony so I just applied several coats of minwax satin wipe-on poly. The wife said she really liked the look but I might paint them down the line, no rush. Fired them up early this morning and they sound pretty damn good out the gate.

Just wanted to say thanks to Sonicjoy and others who have provided valuable build threads to help me understand how to put the crossover together and little tidbits of info that really make a difference. Thanks to Danny and Hobbs for responding quickly to my questions too! This is my first speaker build and even the wife was like...”Wow! They actually work!”  Thanks babe...

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #157 on: 18 Jun 2021, 12:50 am »
They look amazing! The ebony veneer is especially nice too! :thumb:
Hope you get lots of enjoyment out of them for a long time to come!

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #158 on: 18 Jun 2021, 03:04 pm »
They look amazing! The ebony veneer is especially nice too! :thumb:
Hope you get lots of enjoyment out of them for a long time to come!

Thanks!

I got ahead of myself when putting the crossover inside the first cabinet and screwed the mid driver on without stuffing any polyfil but did do it on the second. Listened for a couple of hours and thought maybe the drivers needed more time on them as I felt things sounded a little tinny or even hollow. Took the driver off the first cabinet and put in the polyfil and everything sounded much better!  So in case anybody was wondering the polyfil does work and makes a positive difference.

Max7

« Reply #159 on: 30 Jun 2021, 05:38 am »
Can we still order flat packs?