Listening Impressions of DMC Digital Music Console streamer

Ron F.

Re: Listening Impressions of DMC Digital Music Console streamer
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jan 2021, 09:43 am »
If I may, I wish to explain what I have learned since my previous post above:

I found that squeeze2upnp can definitely run independently of the LMS server. To support their own high-end streaming DAC, iFiAudio has created a "RoonBridge" to enable Roon to stream to UPnp/DLNA renderers. It draws upon the squeeze2upnp project, and provides a very simple Win32 GUI to use it. See: https://github.com/iFiAudio/iFiBridge. I downloaded, installed, and ran the .exe file. The GUI has just two buttons: one to look for UPnP devices, and the other to then start the bridge; that's it. Searching for devices creates a config file so once that has been done, I don't think it has to be done again unless new UPnP renderers are added to the user's LAN.

Although I don't have a Roon server, my LMS server indicates a stand-alone copy of squeeze2upnp (running on my laptop) works nicely, streaming to my Android phone running BubbleUPnP. I believe all this GUI is doing is providing some command-line options for the underlying squeeze2upnp executable.

I find using this bridge to stream FLAC appears to be very efficient, vanishingly little CPU resource is required while streaming. So Squeeze2upnp can apparently be thrown onto any machine on the LAN that includes both the server (Roon or LMS) and the renderer. Once the bridge is running, I find that the name identifying the renderer, comes from the renderer itself, but the IP addr being reported to the server is that of the machine running the bridge, otherwise the bridge is transparent.

Anyway, I hope anyone who has spent a small fortune purchasing a Roon license might find this information useful, but your mileage might vary significantly.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #21 on: 25 Feb 2021, 10:39 pm »
Can the DMC-1 run from a MacBook Air?  And what iPhone versions/operating systems?

jd3

« Reply #22 on: 26 Feb 2021, 12:25 am »
I run mine off an iPad.  Not sure if it will run from a MacBook.  I’ve never tried it from my iMac.  I just checked and it does run off my iPhone 11.  I’ve got 14.4 on my phone.

MikeInAustin

« Reply #23 on: 26 Feb 2021, 01:15 am »
I run mine off a 2015 MacBook Pro, an iPhone 6S, and an iPod Touch.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #24 on: 26 Feb 2021, 02:06 am »
I can run mine from any of the iOS devices in our household - MacBook Pro, Air, iPhone, iPad.

CIAudio

« Reply #25 on: 26 Feb 2021, 03:49 am »
Can the DMC-1 run from a MacBook Air?  And what iPhone versions/operating systems?

DMC-1 runs in a local browser window, so most any device connected to your network that contains a web browser will work.
No software/apps are required as the player software is built-in to our OS.
Best performance is with newer (faster) control devices. Apple are preferred but Android can also be used (with direct IP address input).

JLM

« Reply #26 on: 26 Feb 2021, 12:16 pm »
Thanks for the all the quick replies.  I'm guilty of surfing while listening via my MacBook Air.  Using the iPhone is cute but frustratingly small/slow for everyday streaming use. 

So Dusty, how's the operating system coming.  There's been mention of teething pains associated with the new system.  As a computer dunce would hate to be the first kid on the block to be a beta tester.  (And you'd hate it too.) 

CIAudio

« Reply #27 on: 26 Feb 2021, 01:21 pm »
The OS works great and DMC is easy to set up and use.
Software is continually updated for new features etc. and will continue to evolve.

MttBsh

« Reply #28 on: 26 Feb 2021, 03:32 pm »
As a computer dunce would hate to be the first kid on the block to be a beta tester.  (And you'd hate it too.)

Maybe the first kid on your block to use it but there are a number of us that have been listening the DMC-1 since it came out last July. I have found it to be extremely reliable, easy to use, and incredibly musical. I use it to stream Qobuz and have a 5TB external drive of music plugged into it.

Craig B

« Reply #29 on: 27 Feb 2021, 10:12 pm »
Maybe the first kid on your block to use it but there are a number of us that have been listening the DMC-1 since it came out last July. I have found it to be extremely reliable, easy to use, and incredibly musical. I use it to stream Qobuz and have a 5TB external drive of music plugged into it.

How’s the navigation/file management of your external drive library? Fairly easy and intuitive? Since I almost never listen at my computer anymore, it might be time for me to give up on iTunes and go to storage local to the stereo system.

MttBsh

« Reply #30 on: 27 Feb 2021, 11:01 pm »
The DMC-1 CI AudioFile Player allows you to search by artist /album/song and the results are categorized by Web radio, external drive contents and Qobuz (or any other supported subscription service). Qobuz contents show up perfectly, may take a moment or two to display all of the albums of artists who've released lots of albums. I have had limited success in getting album artwork from music on my hard drive to display, originally setup in JRiver, but because I don't care that much about album artwork I haven't tried very hard. Maybe Dusty can provide more information on how the DMC-1 AudioFile Player is designed to display music stored on hard drives, or how best to load music on our hard drives and USB sticks for the Player to read and display it. I have never had issues finding and playing the music I want to hear on the DMC-1, and it has never sounded better, that's what's most important to me. 

CIAudio

« Reply #31 on: 28 Feb 2021, 04:19 am »
Choose "Albums" from the Browse Menu and you should see album art if your source files have proper meta data. I just took the shot below from my studio at home as an example.
Audio files are stored on a NAS but works similarly on USB sources (may load a little slower).

The speed at which they load (and how many) is largely dependent on your browser cache... If not loading, try clearing your browser cache.
If no album art shows in the main playback window, try refreshing your browser page.

CIAudio

« Reply #32 on: 28 Feb 2021, 06:23 am »
If you need to update/edit the meta data for your files, you can use something like this...

https://www.wideanglesoftware.com/musictag/

MttBsh

« Reply #33 on: 28 Feb 2021, 03:10 pm »
If you need to update/edit the meta data for your files, you can use something like this...

https://www.wideanglesoftware.com/musictag/

Very helpful, thank you

JLM

Anyone find any measurements or "professional" reviews of the DMC-1 (other than Hans Beekhuyzen's very positive one)?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=channel+island+audio+DMC-1+reviews&view=detail&mid=0E00545197CF730343FA0E00545197CF730343FA&FORM=VIRE

JLM

« Reply #35 on: 13 Sep 2021, 04:07 pm »
Bought a slightly used DMC-1 from an early purchaser who come to find out couldn't use it.  Struggled not being able to get many radio stations or my Tidal account to work for 4 months.  In the middle of which I had open heart surgery and a month's worth of anesthesia "fog".  Spoke with Dusty a number of times with little success.  Bought a new pair of mono-blocks and power supplies in the meantime.  Finally in frustration I swapped out my ethernet cable and whoa, it works!  And works so good, sound is clear, soundstage and treble are well presented!  My system consists of:

Bob Brines FTA-2000 floor standing transmission line single driver loudspeakers using Bud Purvine EnABL's (clarified mids/treble) Fostex F200a 8 inch (whizzerless) AlNiCo drivers (rated 30-20,000 Hz, 90 dB/w/m at 8 ohms, $575 each when last available) with Duke LeJeune recommended "Late Ceiling Splash" 1 1/8 inch Dayton Audio soft dome ambience tweeters that sit on the floor directly behind the cabinets;

Basement dedicated listening room is well insulated 8ft x 13ft x 21ft, dedicated electrical audio circuits, (10) GIK 244 absorption panels on front, side, and rear walls, setup is mid-field across the narrow wall (5.5 ft from front wall) spread very wide thanks to the ambience tweeters;

Power amps are Temple Audio 70 watt mono-blocks with matching Supercharger power supplies;

Subwoofers are (2) PreSonus T10 10 inch ported (professional) and (1) CSS SDX10 10 inch (XBL^2) sealed driver with SD300 amp spread around the room ala Floyd Toole to minimize bass peaks/dips.

jd3

« Reply #36 on: 13 Sep 2021, 10:51 pm »
Glad you got it working Jeff!   Sometimes it’s the last thing that you’d think of that makes all the difference.

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #37 on: 14 Sep 2021, 02:58 am »
Looking for a streamer to be used for the sole purpose of listening to hi-res (24-bit) Internet-based streaming, i.e. Quboz, Tidal, Amazon Ultra HD.  No plans to use Roon, have no digital music saved on a server, disk, or USB (still play my CDs).  No current plans to purchase high resolution music to save to a server.  Might consider ripping some of my CDs to a USB drive. 

I'm assuming the DMC-1 can stream Quboz & Amazon UHD up to 24/192K.  As there is no mention of MQA, I assume it cannot perform the second unfold of a MQA file.  Is this correct?

CIAudio

« Reply #38 on: 14 Sep 2021, 01:04 pm »
Looking for a streamer to be used for the sole purpose of listening to hi-res (24-bit) Internet-based streaming, i.e. Quboz, Tidal, Amazon Ultra HD.  No plans to use Roon, have no digital music saved on a server, disk, or USB (still play my CDs).  No current plans to purchase high resolution music to save to a server.  Might consider ripping some of my CDs to a USB drive. 

I'm assuming the DMC-1 can stream Quboz & Amazon UHD up to 24/192K.  As there is no mention of MQA, I assume it cannot perform the second unfold of a MQA file.  Is this correct?

DMC•1 can stream Qobuz, Tidal, and Spotify. Amazon HD is not supported as they do not provide an API, however you can stream it to DMC from your control device using airplay.
We do not support MQA but Tidal tracks can be internally upsampled up to 32 bit/768k by our AudioFile player software.