M3S Amp/Source for “Rock” music

sockpit

Re: M3S Amp/Source for “Rock” music
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jun 2020, 03:23 am »
We’re dealing with M3 and M5 Sapphires, so different driver altogether.

morganc

« Reply #21 on: 28 Jun 2020, 04:58 am »
I didn't care for the M3TM, but the X Series are in a different league all together.

JackD

« Reply #22 on: 28 Jun 2020, 05:16 am »
As are the prices so they should be better.

morganc

« Reply #23 on: 28 Jun 2020, 05:28 am »
Agreed. 

paolocaminiti

« Reply #24 on: 2 Jul 2020, 01:01 pm »
I found that a schiit loki useful for bad recordings. Just turn down the upper mid knob to get a sort of BBC dip, completely change the caracther of my m3ts. I run the loki on rca - in parallel to the direct xlr for good recordings - from dac to pre. You can probably get there with roon dsp as well.

justinloving

« Reply #25 on: 2 Jul 2020, 03:02 pm »
I bought a minidisp shd studio with Dirac live, mainly to correct a massive 50hz issue but I hope it also helps with a dip in the lower mids. I’ve never used this type of technology so we will see how it sounds. It’s all digital so fingers crossed.

geerock

« Reply #26 on: 2 Jul 2020, 04:38 pm »
I'm running all tube components.
Musical Paradise MP D2 Mk3 is a great piece and a giant killer if there ever was one.  You can take the sound just about anywhere you like.  User changeable no solder capacitors.  And it will take both 6 and 12 volt signal tubes and 6.3 and 5 volt rectifiers.  If you decide to try it get it with the high end Crystek clocks.
Then I have the Don Sachs all in preamp with those luscious Dawning series 6sn7 tubes.  Another giant killer.  You're against LTA for some reason but that's my power amp with NOS el84 power tubes.  Stunning resolution and sound stage.

justinloving

« Reply #27 on: 2 Jul 2020, 06:14 pm »
I'm running all tube components.
Musical Paradise MP D2 Mk3 is a great piece and a giant killer if there ever was one.  You can take the sound just about anywhere you like.  User changeable no solder capacitors.  And it will take both 6 and 12 volt signal tubes and 6.3 and 5 volt rectifiers.  If you decide to try it get it with the high end Crystek clocks.
Then I have the Don Sachs all in preamp with those luscious Dawning series 6sn7 tubes.  Another giant killer.  You're against LTA for some reason but that's my power amp with NOS el84 power tubes.  Stunning resolution and sound stage.

Thanks for this! I have no doubt that LTA is a phenomenal product, but my listening habits tend to consume more than 10 watts per channel (closer to 20) and I’d be afraid the LTA just wouldn’t have enough juice especially for the price. Maybe I am mistaken.

geerock

« Reply #28 on: 2 Jul 2020, 08:02 pm »
Thanks for this! I have no doubt that LTA is a phenomenal product, but my listening habits tend to consume more than 10 watts per channel (closer to 20) and I’d be afraid the LTA just wouldn’t have enough juice especially for the price. Maybe I am mistaken.
I like listening loud too.  There is plenty of juice in this Berning circuit with plenty of headroom.  But I'm using the X5's and only have to worry about the LTA running the mids and highs.  Remember we are talking TUBE watts here.  Big difference.  Theres just more to this amp than watts.  It has that 3D immersive sound stage like nothing I've ever heard.  And absolutely a dead quiet background.  Perhaps the LTA Reference 40 could be considered?  I also was very happy using a Carver Crimson 275 with NOS signal tubes and 4 KT88's.  All kinds of juice with that thing and a real bargain to boot.  Maybe just start with that MP DAC and see if that gives you what you need.  Best of luck.

justinloving

« Reply #29 on: 6 Jul 2020, 09:51 pm »
I like listening loud too.  There is plenty of juice in this Berning circuit with plenty of headroom.  But I'm using the X5's and only have to worry about the LTA running the mids and highs.  Remember we are talking TUBE watts here.  Big difference.  Theres just more to this amp than watts.  It has that 3D immersive sound stage like nothing I've ever heard.  And absolutely a dead quiet background.  Perhaps the LTA Reference 40 could be considered?  I also was very happy using a Carver Crimson 275 with NOS signal tubes and 4 KT88's.  All kinds of juice with that thing and a real bargain to boot.  Maybe just start with that MP DAC and see if that gives you what you need.  Best of luck.
I ordered the Carver Crimson 275....🤞

justinloving

« Reply #30 on: 9 Jul 2020, 08:54 pm »
I know this will be slightly controversial ..but...I Installed the minidisp SHD Studio with Dirac live this week. I have to say it is pretty amazing. I’m still unsure if it has negatively effected image depth or if the flatter frequency response is now presenting a more accurate image. Hard to know what is more accurate. I was talking to GIK Acoustics and in order to fix the 50hz issue in this square room...something like $5k would need to be spent and the room would reduce by 20% due to the thick treatments. This just doesn’t seem doable even as a dedicated room, nonetheless the cost. The Crimson 275 will be here Saturday so I’ll get to compare that to the ma5200 this coming week. Overall things are coming together. I can listen with no fatigue now which is glorious.