M3 Turbo S/Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP 4 or 8 ohm tap?

Tarheel

I'm reading that some folks say the SQ is better using the 4 ohm hook up with Spatial speakers.  Which are you using?

bbybaudio

Re: M3 Turbo S/Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP 4 or 8 ohm tap?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2020, 05:29 pm »
I have only used the 8 ohm taps with my X5s so cannot state if 4 ohm sounds better. I should give it a try.

Lndryguru

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2020, 08:55 pm »
Good day,
I used the 4ohm, in my experience, the amp did not have synergy with the speakers. 
Recently, I moved to a Cherry Amp, the improvement was dramatic.  It is though I never heard the speaker's capabilities until now.

Tarheel

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2020, 01:20 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I'm using all stock tubes from Primaluna but will be changing out the 2 preamp tubes with RCA 12AU7 clear tops.  Not a lot of faith in tube rolling but we shall see.

rushfan71

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2020, 01:56 pm »
Tarheel, have faith my friend. I too have the HP and be live me rolling those two middle tubes V11 and V12 make a very noticeable difference. I use all NOS tubes. 1960s Mullard El34 power tubes 1950s RCA black plates to run the grids of the power tubes V9 V10 V13 V14 and I have a few sets for V11 and V12 1950s Mullard 12AU7 long plates, 1950sTelefunken ECC82 smooth plates, 1950s CBS/Hytron 5814A, 1950s RCA 12AU7 black plates, these all bring a little something different to the table. Andy at Vintage Tube Services and Brent at Brent Jesse Recording have been very helpful in guiding me and supplying my tubes. Very satisfied.

Have fun with

John

bbybaudio

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2020, 02:57 pm »
I replaced 4/6 12AU7 tubes with Brimars and sound change was dramatically improved for me. A colleague went with the Mullards and loved them also. I do think the Tungsol EL34bs are better than the stock primaluna tubes.

rushfan71

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2020, 03:21 pm »
The NOS Mullard ElL34s made a nice improvement as well. The music seems to have more weight and impact. It is also quite expensive for a matched octet of NOS tubes.

mick wolfe

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2020, 03:38 pm »
Good day,
I used the 4ohm, in my experience, the amp did not have synergy with the speakers. 
Recently, I moved to a Cherry Amp, the improvement was dramatic.  It is though I never heard the speaker's capabilities until now.

That pretty much reflects my experience with the original M2 Turbo. Indeed did better with solid state amplification.

Tarheel

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2020, 06:03 pm »
I appreciate all your comments and thanks for the tube suggestions.  A buddy on the Klipsch forums is loaning me a couple of the RCA clear tops to try and if I like them I will buy his. I think Brent Jesse likes them a bunch.

Not an apple to apple comparison since I have changed music rooms from my house to lady friend's house but this thought goes through my head every now and then that the 150 watt ATI 1502 sounded better to my ears than the PL :scratch:  I hope that doesn't turn out to be accurate as I only paid $400 for the ATI and almost 8 times that for the PL.  I was playing the ATI through a vintage Full Function Preamp (tubes) from Quicksilver Audio.

Tarheel

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jun 2020, 06:24 pm »
I bought the PL on Audiomart and the gentleman gave me an octet of the EL-34s and an octet of KT-120s.  I have not tried the KT-120s.  Worth a shot or should I change one thing at a time (the preamp tubes)?

Mr. Big

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jul 2020, 02:32 pm »
Try both the one that gives you more bottom end dynamics and slam is the correct tap to use. It won't be subtle when you hear. Dynaudio Confidence 5's for instance sounded like a new speaker on the 4-ohm tape on my McIntosh Amp. The tip came from head sales guy for McIntosh, this is the great thing about tube amps, and McIntosh amps even their solid-state has this ability to match speakers perfectly. My Quads the 8-ohm tap is the best by far go to 4 ohms and this just sounds blah.