Mod Potential?

modwright

Re: Mod Potential?
« Reply #100 on: 12 Mar 2021, 12:50 am »
Fair enough ;). Thanks!

dixi

« Reply #101 on: 12 Mar 2021, 01:05 am »
I have the modified CXN V2 for about 2 months and sound amazing,there is no competition with the stock unit,which was actually good but not great.The modification worth every penny,great work.

displayname

« Reply #102 on: 12 Mar 2021, 05:58 am »
I’ve owned my CXN since last may. It is a great all around streamer. I had been feeding it into a separate DAC to open the soundstage and provide better depth. I’ve since sold the DAC and this all in one solution appears to be what I need. I’ll be sure to provide my thoughts once all complete.
Good to know! I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback!

displayname

« Reply #103 on: 12 Mar 2021, 06:24 am »
I have the modified CXN V2 for about 2 months and sound amazing,there is no competition with the stock unit,which was actually good but not great.The modification worth every penny,great work.
That's great, but it shouldn't compete with stock as it's more than double the investment. It's more interesting to compare to solutions at the same total investment price point. So looking at near the $3K mark.

- Musical Paradise MP-D2 MK3 + Lumin U1 mini feels like a VERY robust and upgradable tube option for just over $3K.
- Auralic Altair G1 maintains a single box solution from a reputable established company at the same total cost as this investment.
- With the Volumio Primo now being sold in the US, that would leave nearly a $2K Dac budget. Pair that with LKS DA004, Denafrips, Holo Spring, fully loaded MP-D2 etc. Lots of options.

There aren't as many single box solutions, but there are a TON of really compelling combos at this price point. And not being able to hear or even see most options  makes it difficult. And the MWI CXN still has some key features the others don't, like Tidal Connect and a Class A output stage. It's a true paradox of choice situation.

Dan, any chance you have an affiliate/customer network of people who may be willing to meet up?

C4STR0

« Reply #104 on: 15 Mar 2021, 06:15 pm »
Dan, i've listened to your modded Oppo 105d years ago and was blown away, but i couldn't afford it at the time and recently as a few weeks ago had a chance to demo it again at  a great price including some great tubes, but i ultimately passed given its age and lack of 4kHDR which leaves it as a standalone DAC for my computer based source-no CDs-all digital. I have always used my HTPC to play or stream music, but as it gets older, and the HTPC heats up when i convert to DSD, i wonder if its time for a streamer that can be my dedicated all in one situation and still be a dedicated DAC for my HTPC while it keeps ticking.
While i am one of those weirdos who likes his entire system aesthetically matched and would prefer a McIntosh DAC tube modded by you, i understand you don't do one off work given your busy schedule and i am very intrigued by this Cambridge mod(Does it come in black?). 

-Have you compared it as a stand alone DAC compared to others in the same price range?

-My first experience with the Oppo 105d Mod was my first experience with tubes. As mentioned, i was blown away. This 2nd time around, demo'd directly after a hybrid Pathos integrated, the Oppo with solid state Mac had a very clean sound, but i didn't get that lush or bloom sound i like with tubes and was getting with tubes in the pre of the Pathos.  Is this Cambridge DAC also steering away from typical "old" Tube sound description traits?  Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Sonicjoy

« Reply #105 on: 17 Mar 2021, 02:15 pm »
I have been interested in the CXN-v2 for a while now for it's streaming capabilities. I really don't need the DAC portion as I just bought a Wyred 4 Sound DAC2v2SE ($3,800) and for the first time my digital side sounds as good or better than my vinyl side. It sounds like the modded version would not offer any improvement over stock for digital out only. Is this correct? Thanks.
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2021, 09:34 pm by Sonicjoy »

peabody

« Reply #106 on: 28 Mar 2021, 04:21 pm »
I've had the Modwright modified Cambridge CXN for a couple months and thought I'd share my thoughts.  I've been a long time Modwright customer, having previously owned the Sony 999ES, Oppo 83, 95, 105 and 205.  Each iteration offered a noticeable sonic improvement, with the UDP-205 being the pinnacle in digital sound (IMHO).  However, I found that I was rarely listening to disks and wanted to simplify my system so I purchased a stock CXN V2.  As a long time squeezebox touch owner, I really wanted a DAC/streamer that displayed album art and track info and the Cambridge is one of the few manufactures that supports this.

The stock CXN is not a bad sounding unit, but it's no comparison to a Modwright UDP-205.  I had it for a few months before sending it in for upgrade so I was familiar with its sound, and when I received the modded player I was a little underwhelmed.  It was better, but not great.  I emailed Dan and he said give it some time to fully burn in, and sure enough after about 50 hours it opened up and after 100 or so it really sounded special.  (I'm surprised no one else has mentioned burn in.). I still think the UDP-205 sounds better (and it should be given a dedicated power supply and an additional $1000 in upgrade cost), but the modded CXN is very close.  It has a very clean, musical sound.  It's a keeper for me.  :D

Pete

Sonicjoy

« Reply #107 on: 30 Mar 2021, 01:42 am »
Peabody have you tried it using the digital out into an outboard DAC? Curious if the upgrades improve the digital output sound or just the DAC.

displayname

« Reply #108 on: 30 Mar 2021, 04:13 am »
I've had the Modwright modified Cambridge CXN for a couple months and thought I'd share my thoughts.  I've been a long time Modwright customer, having previously owned the Sony 999ES, Oppo 83, 95, 105 and 205.  Each iteration offered a noticeable sonic improvement, with the UDP-205 being the pinnacle in digital sound (IMHO).  However, I found that I was rarely listening to disks and wanted to simplify my system so I purchased a stock CXN V2.  As a long time squeezebox touch owner, I really wanted a DAC/streamer that displayed album art and track info and the Cambridge is one of the few manufactures that supports this.

The stock CXN is not a bad sounding unit, but it's no comparison to a Modwright UDP-205.  I had it for a few months before sending it in for upgrade so I was familiar with its sound, and when I received the modded player I was a little underwhelmed.  It was better, but not great.  I emailed Dan and he said give it some time to fully burn in, and sure enough after about 50 hours it opened up and after 100 or so it really sounded special.  (I'm surprised no one else has mentioned burn in.). I still think the UDP-205 sounds better (and it should be given a dedicated power supply and an additional $1000 in upgrade cost), but the modded CXN is very close.  It has a very clean, musical sound.  It's a keeper for me.  :D

Pete
Thank you for the feedback! That's exactly the type of review I've been hoping to hear.

RonP

« Reply #109 on: 2 Apr 2021, 08:13 pm »
I'm taking the plunge! My unit is in flight to WA. :popcorn:

Ok it's being sent Ground, but .. whatever...  :lol:

nature boy

« Reply #110 on: 2 Apr 2021, 09:53 pm »
Pete,

Try a nice matched set of 1974-75 Reflector 6n23p (substitute 6922 tubes) in the modified CXN V2. You'll be in sonic heaven.

NB

nature boy

« Reply #111 on: 4 Apr 2021, 02:38 pm »
Dan is having a 10% off Spring Sale on CXN and Oppo 205 modifications. Free return shipping too. Don't miss out.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4044768012254179&id=100001630611649

NB

displayname

« Reply #112 on: 5 Apr 2021, 04:21 am »
Not a bad deal, especially with return shipping.

RonP

« Reply #113 on: 25 Apr 2021, 02:09 am »
Got my mod'd CXN back into the stereo system a few hours ago. I skipped thru some tracks for about 30-40mins, but I had other plans tonight. Gathering my thoughts. I'll give it more listening time soon. I'll report back later.

GregC

« Reply #114 on: 25 Apr 2021, 04:58 am »
I had it for a few months before sending it in for upgrade so I was familiar with its sound, and when I received the modded player I was a little underwhelmed.  It was better, but not great.  I emailed Dan and he said give it some time to fully burn in, and sure enough after about 50 hours it opened up and after 100 or so it really sounded special.

Pete

I sent my PH 9.0 back to get it upgraded to 9.0X spec (with the upgraded transformers and XLR outputs).  When it came back it was not broken in and I did not hear the improvements I was hoping for.  I hooked up a reverse RIAA to speed up the burn in process for 100 hours and that did the trick, and with more hours on it now, I am in sonic heaven.   

RonP

« Reply #115 on: 3 May 2021, 01:28 pm »
It happened!

I have about 30hrs of burn in on the unit. Fired up an AC/DC album and wasn't expecting much. (From a production/mixing standpoint it's not gonna be a Floyd album, etc.)

However.. It surprised me. I was listening to a song I've heard many times (Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution) and I heard a new voice at the beginning. Before this I thought it was just a brief pause, but NOPE. There's actually a very quiet voice there in the mix.

It cannot be unheard. I can even hear it now on the laptop speakers! Moments like these make the price of admission worthwhile.

oh yes!!
 :thumb:

nature boy

« Reply #116 on: 3 May 2021, 02:18 pm »
CXN V2 mods sound decent out if the box. About 75% at 50 hours. Then nirvana after 125 hours based on my experience.

NB

modwright

« Reply #117 on: 3 May 2021, 06:19 pm »
Thank you all for your feedback! Our customers say it better than any reviewer!

Dan

titanic1912

« Reply #118 on: 11 Jun 2021, 09:59 pm »
Hello folks

Any European users of Cambridge CXN V2, I seek for option to get 230 volts mods  from ModWright, we need to approach to Dan?

jwes

« Reply #119 on: 14 Jul 2021, 04:19 pm »
What is the significance of this Cambridge unit having “dual” DACs?  What does the second one do?

Other good and even more expensive Dacs or Dac / streamers have one good chip and then focus on the integration/implementation to differentiate the sound.

Thanks!