Mod Potential?

modwright

Mod Potential?
« on: 21 Apr 2020, 10:36 pm »
Cambridge Audio CXN V2 has a lot of features that are very attractive! It reminds me a lot of the venerable Logitech Transporter that we had great success modifying as a one box digital solution.

Please let me know if there is interest in such a mod.

Thanks,

Dan W.

RonP

Re: Mod Potential?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2020, 04:00 pm »
Yes please. The exact unit I was looking at for down the road when doing system upgrades.

modwright

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2020, 04:46 pm »
Thanks for that. This unit does appear to check all the boxes!

Not expensive.
Does everything that you would want it to do: streaming, dig. in and out, analog out and can handle all hi-rez files with a good screen/interface.
There is room inside for us to install our mod boards and in so doing, keep the cost down.
Cambridge Audio is a good and respected name.

The question that remains for me now, is what is the level of interest? As many of you know, I don't have time for one-off mods and I am looking for a small number of products that I can invest time in developing a Reference Grade modification for and continue to offer it for some time.

Dan Wright

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2020, 05:20 pm »
Dan,

I don't own one of these, but after reading through Cambridge Audio's website description, it looks appealing. What would your mods bring an owner of this product? Would tubes be added?

Thanks,

Michael

mr_bill

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2020, 05:34 pm »
I like the idea,

modwright

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2020, 06:08 pm »
Tubes would be added, replacing the stock analog stage, after the DAC. It would allow for balanced and SE outputs and would also ideally provide dedicated analog and digital power supplies for the DAC and audio circuits, of our own design.

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2020, 06:10 pm »
Agree, it appears to be an excellent platform for your mods. I like it.

rclanger

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2020, 05:34 pm »
Interesting.

I've been running a Cambridge 851C balanced into an Atma-Sphere preamp. I'm wondering if the 851C might work well as a transport to a tube-modded CXN? Hmmm.....

GregC

« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2020, 12:45 am »
Hi Dan,

Would your intended mod work for a CXU first generation as well?

Greg

modwright

« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2020, 01:37 am »
I would expect that if we modify this unit, we can do it for first Gen units also. It really depends on the changes made.

Thanks,

Dan

jtsnead

« Reply #10 on: 27 Apr 2020, 08:47 pm »
Probably better than my Node2i

modwright

« Reply #11 on: 27 Apr 2020, 11:02 pm »
Yes! ;)

HT cOz

« Reply #12 on: 3 May 2020, 12:59 pm »
I think it would fill a gap in the lineup from the Transporter.  :thumb:  It’s a nice entry into the MW family.

How about a trade in program?  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: 3 May 2020, 06:34 pm by HT cOz »

modwright

« Reply #13 on: 5 May 2020, 10:50 pm »
Thanks, as for a trade in program, I am really not interested in taking old digital in trade I am afraid. I just don't have time to re-sell used gear.

I do appreciate the input!

Dan

Sailorboy

« Reply #14 on: 6 May 2020, 02:53 am »
I have an alternative view to those that have posted so far.
Most people that are interested in MW gear are likely to be beyond entry level in their HIFI walk IMHO.  If they are also streaming Digital then they probably already have or are interested in using Roon in their system.  The feature thats missing in this device is the lack of support for RAAT (Roon native protocol).  Yes, it has Chromecast which you can use as a Roon end point, but I suspect that will not be good enough for most audiophiles.
Unfortunately CambridgeAudio also does not have a good history of updating older products with new software features, so the product may not have a long life.

I hope this alternative view provides some useful info.

Cheers

Sailorboy

« Reply #15 on: 6 May 2020, 06:49 am »
Woops, I have just seen that there has been a recent update to the CXN that adds support for RAAT.  I'll have eat my words  :duh:
Just shows how quickly things change in the technology world, particularly for devices that are very "soft".

Colin

nature boy

« Reply #16 on: 6 May 2020, 11:09 am »
I am interested and willing to commit to the mods Dan!  Thoroughly enjoying my Modwright PH 9.0. This offers a great streaming one box solution.

NB

jtsnead

« Reply #17 on: 6 May 2020, 12:32 pm »
MQA?

nature boy

« Reply #18 on: 6 May 2020, 01:47 pm »
No MQA with the Cambridge Audio CXN V2.

NB

modwright

« Reply #19 on: 6 May 2020, 05:55 pm »
Thank you all. The Roon endpoint ability is important. The jury is out for me on MQA.

While I know that many of our customers have high end systems, the idea is to take this relatively inexpensive product and turn it into a High End digital solution! The technology is the hard bit and they have it all locked down it looks like. I don't have history with Cambridge Audio as to their upgrade-ability, etc., but it sounds like they have included a way to update firmware which is important!

I am certainly willing at this point to develop a mod for the product and see how it goes!

Historically, I have either bought a unit to develop the mod or offered a VERY good price to a custom who is willing to send me a unit to develop the mod. The offer is typically a 50% discount based on the retail price of the mod as well as the option to fully update it in the future at no cost, if the mod design evolves past what was done to the first article.

I do believe that these units are available. Does anyone have experience with the stock sound?

Thank you all in advance!

We are safe and well here and I do sincerely hope the same for all of you too!

Dan W.