BDP-3 advice asked

WildPhydeaux

BDP-3 advice asked
« on: 8 Feb 2020, 03:29 pm »
Hello all,

Hoping to get some feedback/sanity check from folks regarding a purchase.

I have a BDA-3.14 and am quite pleased with it. I have no external digital sources other than a basic CD player/transport which I use roughly never. So I'm really only using the internal Pi and controlling playback via Roon. Although I don't have much DSD material on my NAS, it would be nice if it could be streamed natively or at least DoP but I assume that will require Roon certification.

Here's the question finally, or at least the lead up to it: I have an opportunity to purchase a BDP-3 at an attractive price and by all accounts the BDP-3 is just that teensy bit better than the Pi-based streamer, if only by measurement. I'll only ever use Roon because I dislike the other options. Or rather, I strongly prefer Roon over other existing options available for the BDP - I would be all over a Bluesound-like interface.

Is this ridiculous? Shockingly, I note the BDP-3 isn't Roon certified yet either, several years into its availability.

Secondly, at the risk of being identified as massively OCD, is it possible/reasonable to change the green LED/display of the black face BDP-3 to blue in order to match my blackface/blue LED BDA-3.14?

Cheers,
Robert

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-3 advice asked
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2020, 03:48 pm »
Hello all,

I have a BDA-3.14 and am quite pleased with it. I have no external digital sources other than a basic CD player/transport which I use roughly never. So I'm really only using the internal Pi and controlling playback via Roon. Although I don't have much DSD material on my NAS, it would be nice if it could be streamed natively or at least DoP but I assume that will require Roon certification.

Here's the question finally, or at least the lead up to it: I have an opportunity to purchase a BDP-3 at an attractive price and by all accounts the BDP-3 is just that teensy bit better than the Pi-based streamer, if only by measurement. I'll only ever use Roon because I dislike the other options. Or rather, I strongly prefer Roon over other existing options available for the BDP - I would be all over a Bluesound-like interface.

Is this ridiculous? Shockingly, I note the BDP-3 isn't Roon certified yet either, several years into its availability.

Secondly, at the risk of being identified as massively OCD, is it possible/reasonable to change the green LED/display of the black face BDP-3 to blue in order to match my blackface/blue LED BDA-3.14?

Cheers,
Robert

Hi Robert

Yes you can order a blue OCD on the BDP-3.

I was not aware that the BDP-3 was not ROON Certified?

james

WildPhydeaux

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2020, 07:22 pm »
Thank you James, good to know the LEDs/Display could be made to match the DAC.

Re: Roon certification  - If you say it is, then it certainly must be. I made a poor assumption then, based mostly on the fact that Roon don't list it as such on the Bryston page under Partners on their website, although the BDP-1, BDP-2 and Pi are listed. I appreciate you setting me straight on that.

Cheers,
Robert

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2020, 11:50 pm »
Hello all,

Cheers,
Robert

I did the same thing... had my LED's changed to match. Bryston was speedy and great about getting it done.

WildPhydeaux

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2020, 02:04 am »
Well, as it's not individual LEDs and more of a single display board I'm hoping they can just sell me the board and let me install it. There is no warranty on the unit being second hand and I deal with modular electronics regularly, so am confident in my abilities. My risk of course.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know I'm not the only OCD afflicted audio enthusiast! Lol...

Cheers,
Robert

gbaby

« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2020, 02:39 pm »
Hello all,

Cheers,
Robert

Hello Robert, I am Robert too.  :lol: In any event, I own the BDP-3, and it has its own interface called Manic Moose. I know you paid good money for Roon, but with Manic Moose on the BDP3, Roon is unnecessary. Additionally, the BDP-3 has a better sound with Manic Moose.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2020, 12:48 am by gbaby »

WildPhydeaux

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2020, 03:31 pm »
Thanks Robert.

I'm aware of the Manic Moose interface since I have a BDA-3.14 but I find that it doesn't suit my needs. I AM curious to compare the sound, but 90 minutes invested and still not being able to simply play one track is 90 minutes I could have been enjoying music. It simply doesn't work even after I reset to Factory Defaults, rebooted and started fresh.

I'm certain I can get excellent support here to troubleshoot the issue, but Roon worked after 10 seconds of configuration. I WILL try it out one day though.

Cheers,
Robert

gbaby

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2020, 12:53 am »
Thanks Robert.

I'm aware of the Manic Moose interface since I have a BDA-3.14 but I find that it doesn't suit my needs. I AM curious to compare the sound, but 90 minutes invested and still not being able to simply play one track is 90 minutes I could have been enjoying music. It simply doesn't work even after I reset to Factory Defaults, rebooted and started fresh.

I'm certain I can get excellent support here to troubleshoot the issue, but Roon worked after 10 seconds of configuration. I WILL try it out one day though.

Cheers,
Robert

Read the following review and you'll understand what I mean regarding the sonic differences between Roon and Manic Moose:

https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/digital-reviews/network-player-reviews/bryston-bdp-3-digital-media-player/

WildPhydeaux

« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2020, 01:25 am »
I've read a variety of real people reports to know that there are those that favour MM and those that favour Roon. I accept there may be differences but also that it will depend on which output is being used and where the music files reside. In that review he was comparing Roon streaming the files to MM pulling from a USB thumb drive. Tough to make an apple's to apples comparison when one approach isn't streaming.

This isn't me saying audible differences don't exist - by all accounts they do. But it depends whose ears are doing the listening. As I say, I do want to do my own comparison and I'll have to decide then.

Thanks for the link and the encouragement to experiment!

Cheers,
Robert

vonnie123

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2020, 07:26 am »
Hi Robert.  I'm Robert too.  I responded to your post and weighed in on the Roon forum.....(I'm the guy with two BDP-1s).  I love Roon as well, but Manic Moose MPD really does sound good.  I'm rolling a CD through my BDP-1 right now via USB and an external computer CD drive.  Kind of a primitive BOT-1.  Super sweet.

Good to have multiple ways to play music.....

WildPhydeaux

« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2020, 12:07 pm »
Wow, seems this is where the Bob's congregate!

So here's the plan: I have a BDA-3.14 which has the internal Pi and just purchased an used BDP-3 which I'm waiting for delivery of. So the Pi can keep streaming via Roon and I can set up the BDP-3 to use Manic Moose streaming from the same network share that Roon uses. The BDP-3 will output to the BDA-3.14 so I think that would be a fair comparison.

I'll be open minded in my listening but I have to say that it's going to have to be wildly better with MM before I'll consider using that interface.

Cheers,
Robert

gbaby

« Reply #11 on: 12 Feb 2020, 02:12 pm »

So here's the plan: I have a BDA-3.14 which has the internal Pi and just purchased an used BDP-3 which I'm waiting for delivery of. So the Pi can keep streaming via Roon and I can set up the BDP-3 to use Manic Moose streaming from the same network share that Roon uses. The BDP-3 will output to the BDA-3.14 so I think that would be a fair comparison.

I'll be open minded in my listening but I have to say that it's going to have to be wildly better with MM before I'll consider using that interface.

Cheers,
Robert

There is no need to reinvent the wheel. Listen to me and Vonnie/Rob. :lol: In fact, you may want to re-read the article I posted. I had to read it at least three times before I could get the gist of it. It is quite comprehensive, and I had to look up some of the equipment referred to therein to understand the caliber of equipment the author was comparing the sound of the BDP-3. Manic Moose is the way to go. In using Roon, its like a slight veil over the music.
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2020, 01:21 am by gbaby »

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #12 on: 12 Feb 2020, 02:54 pm »
I third that opinion -- MM > Roon for SQ.   :thumb:

vonnie123

« Reply #13 on: 13 Feb 2020, 08:34 am »

Cheers,
Robert

You will be able to compare them.  Leave the pi to Roon, and the BDP-3 to MM MPD.  Then swap ‘em.  I’d be interested in your feedback.  I think you’ll find MM is superior, but YMMV.  It’s an individual thing.  Roon has a lot of features to make it sound great as well.  I use both, and Audirvana too.

zoom25

« Reply #14 on: 13 Feb 2020, 08:47 pm »
Yes, Manic Moose for SQ over Roon. :thumb:

That HFA reviewer only writes about the BDP-3 as a wired networked Roon endpoint and Manic Moose via USB thumb drives. There are lots of ways (Roon vs. MPD vs. DLNA) and inputs (USB vs. internal vs. NAS) to access and play audio through BDP-x.

WildPhydeaux

« Reply #15 on: 14 Feb 2020, 12:26 pm »
I was able to get the BDA-3.14 to see my NAS finally and I tried Manic Moose last night vs. Roon. My impression of the sound differences is.. meh... There may or may not be very slight differences to my ear but I doubt I could say one is better than the other. I only tried 6 or 7 tracks that I know very well and I'll continue to play with it a bit but I seriously don't know what the fuss is about. The output sounds fantastic either way but I can't support the notion that it's better either way, or even different really.

So no veils removed, no cork removed from the bottle or any other silly saying for the impressionable. Just darned fine Bryston conversion from digital to analog which, what a surprise, is exactly what it's meant to do.

Incidentally, the Magic Moose interface itself would be enough to put me off Bryston entirely if there weren't other ways to use the product. Compared to today's mobile interfaces, MM is stuck firmly in 1985. And I don't just mean compared to Roon, I'm not at all a Roon snob. Volumio, Bluesound or even the venerable Bubble Upnp are so far superior. With its internal Pi, it would be awesome to be able to put Volumio on the BDA-3.14...

Cheers,
Robert

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 14 Feb 2020, 12:53 pm »
I was able to get the BDA-3.14 to see my NAS finally and I tried Manic Moose last night vs. Roon. My impression of the sound differences is.. meh...

So no veils removed, no cork removed from the bottle or any other silly saying for the impressionable. Just darned fine Bryston conversion from digital to analog which, what a surprise, is exactly what it's meant to do.

Cheers,
Robert

Robert,

A lot of audio is system-specific. A lot goes into the final output, incl speakers, room dynamics, amps, and other factors. So, "impressionable" doesn't explain why many people here attest to better SQ for MM than for other UIs.

cheers

WildPhydeaux

« Reply #17 on: 14 Feb 2020, 03:14 pm »
Robert,

A lot of audio is system-specific. A lot goes into the final output, incl speakers, room dynamics, amps, and other factors. So, "impressionable" doesn't explain why many people here attest to better SQ for MM than for other UIs.

cheers

Oh for certain the whole system, the room, the quality of the source file and the listeners ears all play varying degrees of factors. What I wrote is entirely subjective in the same way as every other opinion. I'm happy to admit that MM is king if others say so and my system, room and ears are crap. All good. I'll even allow that others may love it's interface after all there is no accounting for taste.

I'm pleased that folks here strongly suggested I give MM a listen and compare it to Roon. Done that and don't have a Sonic opinion... yet. But first impressions suggest that, for me, there seems little difference and if any, not enough to be encumbered with the interface. But I'll keep playing around with it on the BDA-3.14 Pi. My used BDP-3 arrives today and I'll configure it for Roon, so I'll have reasonably easy way to switch back and forth for more comparison.

Cheers,
Robert

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 14 Feb 2020, 03:43 pm »
^ Do whatever works for you. To each his own. Enjoy the BDP-3.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #19 on: 14 Feb 2020, 05:45 pm »
Incidentally, the Magic Moose interface itself would be enough to put me off Bryston entirely if there weren't other ways to use the product. Compared to today's mobile interfaces, MM is stuck firmly in 1985. And I don't just mean compared to Roon, I'm not at all a Roon snob. Volumio, Bluesound or even the venerable Bubble Upnp are so far superior. With its internal Pi, it would be awesome to be able to put Volumio on the BDA-3.14...

Cheers,
Robert
[/quote]

Hi Robert

What do you find so problematic with MM.  I have been using it and it certainly has evolved over time but I am interested in what about the interface turns you off?
I for example prefer MM because ROON does not allow you to place your music in Folders whereas MM does.

thanks
james
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2020, 09:55 pm by James Tanner »