What exactly do I need to use opticalRendu

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
What exactly do I need to use opticalRendu
« on: 5 Dec 2019, 06:29 pm »
Recent reviews of opticalRendu have me interested in using it.  I have a NAS connected to a router and various lengths of wired ethernet cable.  Do I just need the optical Rendu, some fiber optic cable and the optical module to set this up?  Does length of optical ethernet cable matter?  I want to continue to use JRiver.
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2019, 07:21 am by glynnw »

lokie

Re: What exactly do I need to use opticalRendu
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2019, 07:05 pm »
I am no expert but maybe that's a good thing cause I wont confuse you with technical speak.
I have had my share of problems with a microRendu based system and I can say that every time it was not the microRendus fault.

I also have a NAS and router (cisco 8 port terminal) set up and had to wrestle with different settings in those systems.

One little thing that took me a while to figure out was that my DAC was cycling on and off without me knowing and that would cause connection problems with the micrRendu.

The Sonore guys are awesome and worth contacting, but beware, its not fair to expect them to solve all the problems in your network.
Whats your NAS and Router?

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2019, 08:14 pm »
Sorry if I wasn't clear - I am not asking to have my network problem diagnosed.  The microRendu I had worked as advertised - I always assumed any network issues were due to my ignorance.  I simply am asking if the three items I listed are what is necessary to set up the opticalRendu properly.  If so, I'll deal with any network problems - I do not hold Sonore responsible for any issue I have had in the past.  Just the opposite, they have always been great.

vortecjr

• Facilitator
  • the sound has to be in concert with the music....
    • Sonore by Simple Design
« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2019, 10:15 pm »
Recent reviews of opticalRendu have me interested in using it.  I have a NAS connected to a router and various lengths of wired ethernet cable.  Do I just need the optical Rendu, some fiber optic cable and the optical module to set this up?  Does length of optical ethernet cable matter?  I want to continue to use JRiver.
If you buy the opticalRendu and the opticalModule they will include the basic network components needed. Both units will need their own power supply. You can use JRiver to stream to the Rendu because it supports UPnP/DLNA.