What's Your Rock Out System?

Mag

What's Your Rock Out System?
« on: 30 Nov 2019, 03:38 pm »
On Youtube the question was asked on PS Audio, why Hi Fi systems fail to please, when comes to playing rock?

A few comments suggested a PA system for playing rock. Which IMO is not the way to go. I happen to have to listen to a PA system at work, to my ears the system is fatiguing to the ears because of distortion. I suspect class D powered speakers, as well as compressed music files stream through a laptop. Previous encounters with PA systems at a bar had were similar.

Being a Bryston Fanboy my system is pretty much all Bryston components, speakers Model T passives & Paradigm Studio 100 v2. I also use the best recordings, preferably concert blu ray. My system can Rock at high spl level with very little distortion or compression.

What's your Rock Out system?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: What's Your Rock Out System?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2019, 05:05 pm »
After being a Klipsch hater for years (decades), I finally heard a speaker of theirs that was refined AND could rock out - the Heresy III.  I have them in my living room (2nd) system and they are my rock out system.  My daughter also likes to put on some of her favorite music and rock out too.  Stuff with crazy bass like Billie Eilish, BTS and Halsey.  She also (thanks to her dad) loves The Police, Queen, The Beatles, The White Stripes and Guns & Roses.  The Forte's handle all of them with aplomb.  And they are refined enough for when I put on vocal jazz or acoustic classical music, it still sounds very nice. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2019, 06:06 pm »
  If I were building a Rock only based system it would be JBL speakers Fathom subs and Bryston electronics. Altec Lansing and Crown my second choice.

charles

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2019, 07:53 pm »
Legacy Focus SE, ICEedge 1200AS2, Auralic Vega, JPS cables, Sonos, Tidal.
The Focus are 4 way, 6 driver speakers. They have awesome power, scale, deep clear bass. I dont think there is better speaker for playing big and loud music near the Legacy's price.
I had Legacy Focus 2020s a decade ago and they also rocked very well. Not nearly the resolution of the new ones though.
Some AH on Agon back 15-20 years ago derisively called the Focus "the best rock speaker." He was right but its much better now and is just as great on symphonies, jazz combo and solo violin.
The amp compliments it very well w 600wpc.  Vega has awesome drive and avoids the hyperhype detail that I find distracting. Its not perfect but I like it.

syzygy

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2019, 11:14 pm »
Back in my bachelor days I had a system of double Large Advent speakers, Advent 300 used as a tuner/preamp, and 2 Carver 400 cube amps (monoblocks @ 500 wpc). Also a Dual 1257 tt with Supex cart. “Live at Leeds” never sounded so good.

mhconley

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2019, 11:47 pm »
My main system rocks!

Von Schweikert VR-4 GenIII HSE, ICEpower 1200AS1 & Tube Fantasy 300b PSET monoblocks, YS-Audio Audio Experience balanced A2, Volumio on a 2GB Raspberry Pi4 through a Topping DX7s DAC and an Opera Consonance LP-2.0 turntable with a Moech UP-4 tonearm and a Grado Reference Sonata cartridge through a Cambridge Audio Duo phono preamp.

Martin