Klipsch RP-600M Upgrade

maty

Re: Klipsch RP-600M Upgrade
« Reply #100 on: 30 Jan 2020, 08:47 am »
https://www.google.com/search?q=Klipsch+RF-7+III+crossover+filter

Go to Google Images: other Klipsch with horn + 2 woofers, 2-ways:

K-67 RF-7 Tweeter
https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/79523-k-67-rf-7-tweeter/&do=findComment&comment=844082

Now, the RF-5 used a smaller driver on a bit smaller horn and they took that one down to 1500Hz...

Hit_Apex

« Reply #102 on: 30 Jan 2020, 07:57 pm »
Any chance of moving out the 8000 content to a new thread?  I'm interested in the topic - it should benefit from better visibility.

bigdirty

« Reply #103 on: 4 Feb 2020, 10:52 pm »

Probably some series of floorstanding loudspeakers made by Klipsch have the same wrong configuration: 2-ways and not 2.5 ways. Then, the BIG hole at 1 m. And they have other problems too, even the most expensive  :duh: :duh: :duh:

I comment too in the YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isMTHfjF_zA  [better -> order: more recents]

I just picked up a set of Klipsch R620-F. I feel like I'm experiencing some of the issues mentioned in the 8000 video.

Have you looked at these?

Anyways, the videos gave me some inspiration to open up mine. Covered the tweeter horn with soundcoat, lined some walls with acoustic foam, and looked with dismay at the electrolytics in the crossover.

Danny Richie

« Reply #104 on: 5 Feb 2020, 03:25 am »
I just picked up a set of Klipsch R620-F. I feel like I'm experiencing some of the issues mentioned in the 8000 video.

Have you looked at these?

I have not looked at that model.

Homer2

« Reply #105 on: 6 Feb 2020, 04:28 am »
The RP600M upgrade made my pair sound much smoother, accurate with more present mids.  Thanks Danny for the kit.

Homer2

« Reply #106 on: 6 Feb 2020, 04:37 am »
I made a "cut sheet" for the no-res sheet I used on the RP600M kit.  I thought I'd post it here to save others the time who may be assembling the same kit.

Homer2

« Reply #107 on: 6 Feb 2020, 04:46 am »
Something I noticed when applying the nores in my RP600M was that the internal corner braces were not consistently installed across both speakers.  So I recommend verifying your cut sheet dimensions and dry fitting before applying.  I really like the Klipsch RP600M speakers.  But was surprised that such a high volume product wouldn't be more consistently manufactured.

Homer2

Re: Klipsch RP-8000F Upgrade
« Reply #108 on: 6 Feb 2020, 10:46 pm »
I'm getting my kit next week.  I'll post some pics of the Klipsch RP-8000F upgrade kit aka repair.  I suspect they are going to match the my 504C center channel much better afterwards.  The Klipsch RP-504C is already a 2.5 crossover design and has much better mid range than the 8000.

Greg L

« Reply #109 on: 6 Feb 2020, 11:31 pm »
Thanks for the posts on your RP 600M upgrade.  I had the same issue with the corner braces- one side has them, one side did not, inconsistent placement of the braces as well.  A lot of glue to scrape up too.  I ended up notching the damping layer out a bit to get the norez to press flat against the cabinet walls at the brace locations.  Then I took the scrap pieces of norez and cut them into narrow strips, removed the foam layer and stuck the strips on the stamped woofer frames to dampen them from any potential resonances also.   We're you able to hear any difference between the tube connectors and the binding posts??

JTF

« Reply #110 on: 7 Feb 2020, 05:52 pm »
Saw this last night, thought I'd pass it along. He specifically calls out this Klipsch upgrade at the 11:30 mark.

https://youtu.be/jN2DCNsHusQ?list=PL3XRie2Nc6cgv--IgpXPjYWLEJJcot8S1&t=692

WGH

« Reply #111 on: 7 Feb 2020, 06:19 pm »
Nice rant for someone who probably never heard the original 600M and definitely never heard the modified version. What I like about AC is members generally refrain from commenting on products they have never heard. Reminds me of some comments regarding the latest best selling book "American Dirt", which I am reading now (and it's pretty good), in which it is obvious the person criticizing never reads or listens.

Thanks for the links below, seems like he has heard and likes the 600M.
« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2020, 09:38 pm by WGH »

maxima95

jmpsmash

« Reply #113 on: 7 Feb 2020, 08:33 pm »
Nice rant for someone who probably never heard the original 600M and definitely never heard the modified version. What I like about AC is members generally refrain from commenting on products they have never heard. Reminds me of some comments regarding the latest best selling book "American Dirt", which I am reading now (and it's pretty good), in which it is obvious the person criticizing never reads or listens.

he admitted in the comments he never heard the modified 600M. his rant on the 600M upgrades contradicts his first rant.

maty

« Reply #114 on: 7 Feb 2020, 10:11 pm »
Tube connectors test

Begins at 17' 33". Link -> https://youtu.be/9JP4OINiQ14?t=1053

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?44316-Purifi-class-D-amplifiers&p=635018&viewfull=1#post635018

by ergo

BTW there was an interesting offline tip from Purifi. They have found that magnetic speaker terminals can influence the performance of this amp quite a bit - "Just a single magnetic washer increased the 6kHz distortion by 15dB. Removing it made wonders to the sound." We checked ours - My amp had Hypex branded clear speaker terminals - those turned out to be non magnetic. My friends amp had other terminals where both washers and nuts were magnetic. So that could have been a partial influence in our 'cap upgraded Purifi vs stock Purifi' listening test too...

Jon L

« Reply #115 on: 7 Feb 2020, 10:28 pm »

Thanks for the links below, seems like he has heard and likes the 600M.

To play devils' advocate, he never claimed to have heard the modified 600M, and his rant was never regarding modified 600M's sound quality.  His rant was about how the modified 600M is no longer "a Klispsh 600M" after such extensive mods including the crossover design and that it becomes the modifier's speaker at this point.   

sonof12

« Reply #116 on: 8 Feb 2020, 05:15 am »
He said he has a problem with “modders” and further repeated that he had a problem with taking advice from anyone that stands to make a profit off said advice. 🤦‍♂️ That rant was literally the most stupid thing I have heard in, well, my whole life. I sure hope someone can convince him to start listening to his Doctor, Lawyer, Dentist, Therapist, Gardener, Vet, Clothier, Mechanic, Travel agent, etc....

In the words of Paul Harvey, ‘the rest of the story’ here is that people started calling him out on his glowing 600 review, and since he’s too immature with not enough  emotional intelligence to respond like a rational human being, who obviously made a mistake, he went on the defensive here.

maty

« Reply #117 on: 8 Feb 2020, 11:32 am »
In the second measurement of active study studio monitors - and with DSP crossover - Neumann KH 80 DSP, I just commented on the problem of the huge or less huge hole of the Klipsch RP-800F depending on the measuring distance.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/neumann-kh-80-dsp-speaker-measurements-take-two.11323/post-323377
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2020, 06:04 pm by maty »

Danny Richie

« Reply #118 on: 8 Feb 2020, 03:12 pm »
Saw this last night, thought I'd pass it along. He specifically calls out this Klipsch upgrade at the 11:30 mark.

https://youtu.be/jN2DCNsHusQ?list=PL3XRie2Nc6cgv--IgpXPjYWLEJJcot8S1&t=692

Where did it go?

kejar31

« Reply #119 on: 15 Feb 2020, 05:27 pm »
Received my RP-8000F kit on Wed.. Started the Crossover build and am just about ready to take the speakers apart...

Will post more pictured of the build and install with measurements if anyone is interested