Potential interest in Hypex NC1200 based amp?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Potential interest in Hypex NC1200 based amp?
« on: 15 May 2019, 09:46 pm »
I've been following the development of class D amps for several years and have been particularly impressed with the Hypex NC1200 which can be found in several well regarded commercial offerings starting around $5k and up (and really up!!$$). Hypex currently only makes NC1200 amp and power supply modules available through OEMs. I recognize that class D may not float everyone's boat but I believe the NC1200 transcends previous limitations associated with class D and many consider its  performance as good as any top flight class A amp.

Due to their compact size, power density and efficiency,  the NC1200 and its power supply can each easily fit within Tortuga Audio's existing rugged extruded aluminum enclosure. Two such enclosures would be required, one for the NC1200 proper and one for the power supply. These enclosure modules can be easily connected seamlessly together into a single "double wide" box that would be 12" wide, 3" tall (plus height of feet), and approximately 9" deep. With this arrangement the power supply would be in its own shielded enclosure.

I believe we could build these amps here in the US for an internet price in the range of $3500-4000 with adders for those willing to pay for more exotic audiophile class rear panel hardware.

I'd like to know what you all think about the NC1200 and a NC1200 based amp in this price range.

BTW, this amp delivers 400W into 8R, 700W into 4R and 1200W!!! into 2R. It's a beast!!

Cheers,
Morten

The NC1200 amp module

The NC1200 power supply module

audio.bill

Re: Potential interest in Hypex NC1200 based amp?
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2019, 10:13 pm »
Morten - Since it appears that you're at the beginning of a potential product design phase, you should be aware of the newer PURIFY Class D technology. It's from the same designer of the NC1200 modules but is the next generation and supposed to be an evolutionary design with many improvements. NAD who has been successful using the Hypex modules for some time just announced that their new product designs will be making use of the new PURIFY technology. Here's NAD's press release announcing their plans: https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/nad-electronics-and-purifi-audio-announce-cooperation-agreement/

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2019, 01:13 am »
I would trial that recommendation above, along with the NC1200, and the 1200AS2 (or AS1 mono) IcePower. I built a 1200AS2 IcePower using the built in input stage. It sounds very damn good, and could possibly be made better using your own input stage. I believe it has provisions for this. This could take it to the next level.

Be happy to send you my 1200AS2 amp to play with if you want. It does allot right. It is the first Class D amp I heard present the "room" of the recordings pretty well.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2019, 01:09 pm »
Morten - Since it appears that you're at the beginning of a potential product design phase, you should be aware of the newer PURIFY Class D technology. It's from the same designer of the NC1200 modules but is the next generation and supposed to be an evolutionary design with many improvements. NAD who has been successful using the Hypex modules for some time just announced that their new product designs will be making use of the new PURIFY technology. Here's NAD's press release announcing their plans: https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/nad-electronics-and-purifi-audio-announce-cooperation-agreement/

Thanks for the heads-up on PURIFY. After checking out their website I get the impression they are not quite ready with product but I could be mistaken. They certainly have a capable technical team.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2019, 01:25 pm »
I would trial that recommendation above, along with the NC1200, and the 1200AS2 (or AS1 mono) IcePower. I built a 1200AS2 IcePower using the built in input stage. It sounds very damn good, and could possibly be made better using your own input stage. I believe it has provisions for this. This could take it to the next level.

Be happy to send you my 1200AS2 amp to play with if you want. It does allot right. It is the first Class D amp I heard present the "room" of the recordings pretty well.

Hi Paul,

I've contacted IcePower and will give them a hard look. I couldn't access the AS2 tech specs as yet but on the website the AS2 struck me as being physically longer than our standard enclosure module (8") and if so would not fit. I'm trying to keep cost/price down by using our existing line of extruded enclosure modules and not jump to a larger custom enclosure.

Roughly, what are the dimensions on the AS2?

Best,
Morten

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2019, 03:08 pm »
Morten,

With the NC1200 design you are considering, I would caution you about unnecessarily increasing the power supply impedance with the 2 chassis design. Doing a one chassis design with a sub enclosure (for the power supply) would make for a better choice provided you have adequate heat sinking and allow for natural convection for the power supply module which does get very hot/warm.

Some things to think about as you contemplate your future design.

Best,
Anand.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2019, 03:32 pm »
Morten,

With the NC1200 design you are considering, I would caution you about unnecessarily increasing the power supply impedance with the 2 chassis design. Doing a one chassis design with a sub enclosure (for the power supply) would make for a better choice provided you have adequate heat sinking and allow for natural convection for the power supply module which does get very hot/warm.

Some things to think about as you contemplate your future design.

Best,
Anand.

Hi Anand,

To clarify, there would only really be one enclosure. However, that enclosure would be composed of 2 identical extruded aluminum boxes each roughly 6" wide by 3" tall by 8" deep. They would be bolted together side by side with access ports between them for wiring etc. There would be a full width (12") front panel and full width (12") rear panel such that it would appear to be a 12" wide by 3" tall by 8" deep enclosure. These are heavy walled aluminum enclosure modules capable of acting as heat sinks albeit without fins. With the nCore gear this would locate the power supply within its own shielded box but it would still be immediately adjacent to the amp located in its own box less than a couple of inches away but separated by over 0.2" of double-walled aluminum.

Cheers,
Morten

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2019, 04:11 pm »
Thanks for clarifying.

Best,
Anand.