Modwright Sony 999es and SWL 9.0 preamp question

nzera

Modwright Sony 999es and SWL 9.0 preamp question
« on: 20 Jan 2005, 05:11 am »
I currently have a Modwright PlatinumSony 999es running directly into a pair of Granite Audio tube monoblocs.  These tube monos have decent built in volume pots and are designed to be driven direct.  Happy with the combination, but am still considering adding the SWL 9.0 preamp.

Besides the obvious advantages of allowing multiple inputs and remote control, are there likely to be any sonic benefits from adding this preamp? As far as I can tell, the output stage of the Sony 999es shares much with the output stage of the SWL 9.0.  Is the SWL 9.0 going to be redundant if I am already using the Modwright Sony?  Does it make more sense to go with something else like a TVC passive?

modwright

• Facilitator
    • ModWright Instruments
Good Question.
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2005, 04:54 am »
That is a good question.  While I of course would like to sell you our preamp, here is the answer to your questions.

1) The circuit in the pream is actually a more sophisticated circuit than that used in the player.  It adds a Home Theater Bypass, a Tape Monitor loop and remote volume control and mute.

2) The preamp does provide voltage gain and buffering  like the tube stage in the player.

Bottom line, the preamp circuit will not detract from the sound and it will add functionality and convenience of the remote control.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Dan