Isolation Footers on Spatial M3TM

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Re: Isolation Footers on Spatial M3TM
« Reply #20 on: 21 Aug 2018, 02:11 am »
I just found the manufacturer that uses the gaia II's on his equipment, Merrill audio.
http://merrillaudio.net/element-118-power-amplifier-monoblocks/#1523011845948-04ae8e92-a067

ric

« Reply #21 on: 21 Aug 2018, 02:05 pm »
For $36K adding the Gaia's is almost a no brainer. I have continued to be impressed with what they have done for my M3's and turntable. Next would be under my amp. whatever they are doing, it sounds right!

DavidS

« Reply #22 on: 21 Aug 2018, 02:26 pm »
thinking of getting these for my M3s?  Are they easy to install?

ric

« Reply #23 on: 21 Aug 2018, 02:34 pm »
Super easy as they come with a few different thread types. As i said in a different post, my experience was that they sounded muffled to my ears and I was ready to resell them, but then I suspected the rubber suction cup bottoms may be the culprit, so I put some (Herbie's) where the rubber hits the floor and WHAM, huge improvement. I wrote the company about this and they were not familiar with it, so it may be that the floating floor over concrete that I have caused a negative interaction with them.
I believe these come with a refund if not satisfied, but mine are not going anywhere!

marvda1

« Reply #24 on: 21 Aug 2018, 02:56 pm »
thinking of getting these for my M3s?  Are they easy to install?
here you go , take a look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmK9vLIoVk8

Don_S

« Reply #25 on: 21 Aug 2018, 03:35 pm »
GAIA IIs come with three thread sizes  (M8, M6, and 1/4"x20) included in the package but other thread sizes are available upon request.  :thumb:

DavidS

« Reply #26 on: 21 Aug 2018, 03:52 pm »
should I get II's or III's?  Seems like the 3's are rated ok for my M3's?

jseymour

« Reply #27 on: 21 Aug 2018, 07:17 pm »
The IIIs are a perfect match for the M3. I have them on my M3TM.

DavidS

« Reply #28 on: 21 Aug 2018, 07:38 pm »
thanks - ordered a set of the IIIs.  Will post back once I have them and have a chance to listen with them installed.

marvda1

« Reply #29 on: 21 Aug 2018, 11:07 pm »
thanks - ordered a set of the IIIs.  Will post back once I have them and have a chance to listen with them installed.

if your speakers are on carpet, are you getting the spikes?

DavidS

« Reply #30 on: 22 Aug 2018, 01:37 am »
nearly 100 year old fir wood floors here - only carpet is area carpet but speakers sit on the wood floors.

MttBsh

« Reply #31 on: 24 Aug 2018, 04:12 am »
I've been looking at the Gaia IIIs to replace the spikes on my Cain & Cain single driver speakers. In one of the threads here someone claimed that little 2" X 2" DiversiTech EVA Anti-Vibration pads worked really well, so I bought a box of 48 of them earlier this week from Supply House for about $25.00.

They arrived yesterday and I not only put the pads under my speakers, but under my subs, under my amp, preamp and DAC and even under the butcher blocks they sit on. Did they make a difference? I'll use an analogy: I recently bought a nice high resolution mirrorless camera and have been shooting a lot of photos, but because I'm still getting used to the new lenses, a lot of my shots when magnified are slightly short of perfect focus. When I to get the perfect focus, the shots are incredibly sharp. What does this have to do with little pads under my audio components?

My audio system has sounded really good especially since the recent addition of a Mivera Purepower SE1200 Ice amp. But adding these little anti-vibration pads has really tightened up the sound and sharpened the focus, everything just sounds more precise and dialed in. Also, I have turned up the bass in my subs without getting any flab, just more and deeper bass.

Do these little guys transform a system as well as the Gaias? I have no idea, but they have made a big improvement in my system for a total of $25.00

Whitestix

« Reply #32 on: 31 Aug 2018, 11:56 pm »
Gents,
I have a pair of M4 TM's and received the SVS footers today. I have very thick carpet in my listening room and previously used the spikes provided by Spatial Audio, which I don't think contacted the floor under the carpet.  I suspect the SVS footers might be more efficacious on hard flooring, but my preliminary judgement is that the sound of the speakers is a bit more coherent and focused, with the image a bit more stable.  The footers for both speakers cost $100 so it is a very worthy tweak to considered. 

I will report back further impressions I have with them.  As I listen more critically with familiar music, I will have a better sense of their benefit. As an aside, I l do love the way they look under the speakers.  Cheers from a "cheap and cheerful" audiophile, Mark

Whitestix

« Reply #33 on: 2 Sep 2018, 05:36 pm »
I have listened my M4TM's with the SVS footers for a few days and I take back my initial impressions of them.  I really came to sense that the sound had gotten boomy and diffuse, not at all to my liking.  I swapped the spikes back in and the detail and focus is back completely.  Note that I have very thick carpet so you might find that they perform much better on hardwood floors.   It was worth a try.   Mark

DavidS

« Reply #34 on: 2 Sep 2018, 11:18 pm »
I received my Gaia III's on Friday.  They were a PITA to install - although brilliant part of my M3's is I just removed the footer bar to install them and then re-attached footer bar when done.  Just not a smooth fit for the threads and tough to get the gaps and directions all the same.  Took maybe an hour+ of back and forth with gap etc.  Definately a firmer footing than the original Spatial footers.  Feel like the speakers are more  on a more solid footing.  Now to the sound it has tightened up the overall sound noticeably over the stock footers.  Not earth shattering difference, just a solid tweak with a bit more bass and a cleaner overall signature.  A lot of money for a solid tweak but this hobby is seldom short of a couple hundred dollars.  Overall happy with end result, they will stay - recommended if you are happy with what you have and just down to tweaking to make it more better.  Back to the music.

yakbob

« Reply #35 on: 17 Sep 2018, 02:43 pm »
Can anyone tell me what the threaded bolt specs are? Size, pitch, etc. I'd like to look into a set of sliders to make positioning easier. I need to slide the speakers closer to the wall when not in use to please my wife.
Thanks! :thumb:

jseymour

« Reply #36 on: 17 Sep 2018, 02:54 pm »
The M3 thread size is 1/4 - 20.

yakbob

« Reply #37 on: 18 Sep 2018, 02:31 am »
Thanks jseymour!

yakbob

« Reply #38 on: 8 Oct 2018, 06:40 pm »
Because I slide my M3's out for most "in-room" listening, and back against the wall when not is use, I was interested in the larger Herbie's sliders...until I saw the price. I'm not saying they don't work, I'm just not shelling out $270+ for plastic and bolts.

To make the speakers easier to slide, I ended up building my own footers using 8 hockey pucks which I drilled out to install 1/4" brass threaded inserts. I mounted 3M peel and stick 2-1/4" sliders (for use on carpet) to the underside of the pucks and bolted them on with 1" screws. They work great and have not added to or detracted from the sound. Just offering this up for any owners looking for a budget alternative to spikes. I spent about $40 for the whole setup.  :thumb:

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #39 on: 11 Oct 2018, 02:05 pm »
Here's a video by Paul McGowan of PS Audio at RMAF this year.  It's quite a convincing demo that the Gaia isolation footers on speakers actually work.

https://www.psaudio.com/askpaul/rmaf-2018-and-isolation-demo/