Loving the new BDP-3!

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Loving the new BDP-3!
« Reply #180 on: 6 Jun 2021, 03:09 am »
I suspect there's some simple software adjustment I haven't made, but I cannot get the USB outputs on my BDP-3 (both of them, actually!) to output any signal.

The USB DAC I've been trying has meters which tell me that no signal is being received from any of the USB outputs of the BDP-3.

The BNC-S/PDIF and XLR-AES digital outputs work perfectly on both units.

Any guidance or tips on resolving this curious problem would be much appreciated!

TIA, Joel.

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

See page 15

dubkarma

• "God made man because he loves stories." - Canetti
« Reply #181 on: 6 Jun 2021, 07:20 pm »
Many thanks for this. Now I've got the USB output working.

Now, however, the AES and S/PDIF outputs have stopped working, so I still can't compare USB digital output to the older protocols.

Back the manual, I guess.

dubkarma

« Reply #182 on: 10 Jun 2021, 06:46 pm »
Still can't get any output from AES or S/PDIF.

It has occurred to me that perhaps the BDP-3 does not permit both USB and AES/SPDIF to be active at the same time.

On the other hand, if that were the case, you'd think it would be mentioned in the manuals. . .

On to Bryston Technical Support, I guess. . .

gbaby

« Reply #183 on: 10 Jun 2021, 08:17 pm »
Still can't get any output from AES or S/PDIF.

It has occurred to me that perhaps the BDP-3 does not permit both USB and AES/SPDIF to be active at the same time.

On the other hand, if that were the case, you'd think it would be mentioned in the manuals. . .

On to Bryston Technical Support, I guess. . .

All digital outputs on the BDP3 work simultaneously. I have my BDP-3 connected to a BDA-3 as well as the SP3 using different digital outputs.

dubkarma

« Reply #184 on: 10 Jun 2021, 11:10 pm »
That's what I assumed—and continue to assume: that the BDP-3 outputs on BNC, XLR and USB simultaneously.

Mine doesn't.

My further assumption has been that the least likely explanation is a defect in the BDP-3 I purchased. Not impossible, of course, but I've had many Bryston components since I got my first 4B amp 30 years ago, and none has ever malfunctioned.

If that second assumption is correct, then there's some software setting that I have failed to implement that is preventing the BPD-3 from having all three types of digital outputs active at the same time.

Problem is I can't figure out, from the BDP-3 manual or the Manic Moose manual, what software adjustment has to be made to achieve that.

gbaby

« Reply #185 on: 14 Jun 2021, 12:39 am »
That's what I assumed—and continue to assume: that the BDP-3 outputs on BNC, XLR and USB simultaneously.

Mine doesn't.

My further assumption has been that the least likely explanation is a defect in the BDP-3 I purchased. Not impossible, of course, but I've had many Bryston components since I got my first 4B amp 30 years ago, and none has ever malfunctioned.

If that second assumption is correct, then there's some software setting that I have failed to implement that is preventing the BPD-3 from having all three types of digital outputs active at the same time.
Problem is I can't figure out, from the BDP-3 manual or the Manic Moose manual, what software adjustment has to be made to achieve that.

Email Chris and he can fix your issue remotely. Everytime, I had an issue with my BDP3, it was user error.

Gomiki

« Reply #186 on: 8 Aug 2021, 03:18 am »

Mine doesn't.

Last year I sent my BDP-3 to repair for the same reason, it was not software, it was a malfunction on the Buc Board " Integrated Audio Device (IAD)" , apparently caused by a power failure ," power outages and electrical disturbances .." they say me   :roll:.  They replaced the IAD with a new one in the warranty period, reinstalled firmware and configured devices. Now it works well.

P.D ,..I am wrong or with Roon you can only use the USB outputs, I think I remember that it does not let me change once I activate Roon, only if I activate it and I am not using USB, the IAD is active,,  or I am wrong, I am talking about off the top of my head  eehhh   :roll: :roll:

All the best..

Mayol A. Spain

dubkarma

« Reply #187 on: 9 Aug 2021, 03:31 pm »
Bryston Service explained to me that the USB and "regular" digital outputs (SPDIF, AES) cannot be active simultaneously; that ended my plan to switch back and forth between USB and AES to determine which had the highest audio quality...

Bryston, it seems, finds the AES output from the BDP-3 to be the highest quality, and since that's been my experience in the past, I'm okay with just using the AES output. . .

gbaby

« Reply #188 on: 27 Aug 2021, 04:45 pm »
Bryston Service explained to me that the USB and "regular" digital outputs (SPDIF, AES) cannot be active simultaneously; that ended my plan to switch back and forth between USB and AES to determine which had the highest audio quality...

Bryston, it seems, finds the AES output from the BDP-3 to be the highest quality, and since that's been my experience in the past, I'm okay with just using the AES output. . .

I don't know. I switch between AES, USB and Coaxial regularly with no problems.  :o

dubkarma

« Reply #189 on: 28 Aug 2021, 04:53 pm »
Beats me!

Twiga

« Reply #190 on: 16 Sep 2021, 10:25 pm »
Does anybody know the maximum playlist size for a BDP-3?

The Manic Moose manual refers to the BDP-2 and says the following:

"Maximum Playlist Length: This defines the max number of tracks that can be cued in the playlist at any time. The default is 300
to prevent accidental loading of an entire drive into the cue which would temporarily paralyze the BDP. BDP-2s with more RAM and faster processing than BDP-1s are better equipped to handle very large playlists."

However, there is no Max Playlist Length mentioned for the BDP-3.

Thanks.

GSDaudio

« Reply #191 on: 18 Sep 2021, 11:18 am »
I set the playlist limit to 10,000.     I have about 5,000 songs on a usb drive.   About 30%  192/24 files,  20% 96/24 files and the rest CD files.   About 400 Gb used on a 1Tb drive.

No speed issues or crashes!  And I have all the MPD functions active including the Bryston database.

Hope this helps.

Twiga

« Reply #192 on: 19 Sep 2021, 03:38 pm »
Thanks! For some reason, I seemed to hit the wall at 1,000, but last night I was able to go way beyond that.

I'm not sure that I will ever need or want to create a playlist of 10,000 songs, but it is nice to know that I can if I want to.

Calypte

« Reply #193 on: 20 Sep 2021, 07:56 pm »
My BDP-pi lists 43,390 "songs" (oh, how I hate that term).  Are you guys saying the BDP-2 and BDP-3 can't handle that many?

GSDaudio

« Reply #194 on: 20 Sep 2021, 08:17 pm »
No I selected 10,000 as an arbitrary number which is more than double the songs I have.

I guess I should point out that I loaded every song for playback (left side of MM interface) and had no problems playing them.  Limits are not the same as loading.

Can you load all 43k of your songs in your Pi?

Calypte

« Reply #195 on: 20 Sep 2021, 09:07 pm »
To rip more CDs or downloads, I remove the Passport from the BDP-pi and do the work on my laptop.  When I re-attach the Passport to the BDP-pi and power up, it takes about 25 minutes for a complete "update" (I have no idea what that is) and database build.  The more files I add, the longer it takes.  Up to now, it hasn't choked on any number of files.  A small part of the total count is cover art.  Most of my music is classical music, where we speak of "movements," not "songs."  But I have some pop and jazz, too, where "songs" would be an appropriate term.  I can access any music within a few seconds -- as fast as I can poke my fingers on the cell phone screen.

gbaby

« Reply #196 on: 23 Sep 2021, 08:35 pm »
I set the playlist limit to 10,000.     I have about 5,000 songs on a usb drive.   About 30%  192/24 files,  20% 96/24 files and the rest CD files.   About 400 Gb used on a 1Tb drive.

No speed issues or crashes!  And I have all the MPD functions active including the Bryston database.

Hope this helps.
Why would you want such a large playlist? You could always have multiple playlist. :?

GSDaudio

« Reply #197 on: 24 Sep 2021, 11:02 am »
Short answer....I want to simulate my own personal radio.

Long answer....playlist creation is a pain for me so I would want to load all songs and have the Bryston select random songs to play giving me the illusion of radio.   However, MPD is not good at random playback.   It sucks.   If I load all songs and select random I always get the same songs in a row.    Therefore,  I get creative and build sub playlists and randomly accumulate them for playback.  Still not perfect.   At least MPD sounds fantastic....I can't listen to my tuner anymore because the compression/limiting has become intolerable.

But you are right.   If I want a playlist with specific music for a specific mood I would not need a large playlist.   Just enough music for the moment. I like a radio when I'm working and my Bryston is on all day without having to do anything.

Francois_Tardif

« Reply #198 on: 24 Sep 2021, 07:23 pm »
Hi,

I didn't know that "Random" always plays the same songs in a row?

My guess is that it could be corrected easily within the software.

François

zoom25

« Reply #199 on: 24 Sep 2021, 09:05 pm »
Thanks! For some reason, I seemed to hit the wall at 1,000, but last night I was able to go way beyond that.

I'm not sure that I will ever need or want to create a playlist of 10,000 songs, but it is nice to know that I can if I want to.

Cries in BDP-1. :bawl:

100 track playlist limit here. That's the one functionality I seriously miss. I mostly listen to full albums from to back, which are never close to 100 tracks, so no problem. However, I also have playlists and compilations that I have made for random play that are much bigger than the 100. When I try to load it, it only loads the first 100. Those playlists are useless on the BDP-1. I really wish there was a way to play all those songs from that one folder.