Loving the new BDP-3!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Loving the new BDP-3!
« Reply #20 on: 11 May 2018, 12:18 pm »
Not to pressure the guys at Bryston, but now that Roon 1.5 is MQA-ready, is this a possibility for the BDP3 in the future?

Nope

james

Grant Hill

« Reply #21 on: 11 May 2018, 03:46 pm »
Hi All,

talking about Roon, is still not possible to use BDP3 plus Roon without a PC/Core for Roon right?

Nordkapp

« Reply #22 on: 1 Jun 2018, 07:53 pm »
Guys. Need help. Just received my BDP3. I am unable to connect it to the internet. It's visible on My network and playing music however. The Ethernet led on back is flashing amber. I've rebooted everything multiple times. Firmware is current. My router is functioning. Is there a password needed somewhere to access the internet? The media player is present but reads "BDP has no internet connection". Thnx.
Addendum...Just updated the firmware successfully. It's playing files from the locally attached drive and also DLNA w/JRiver. Does all this sound fine? Is the Amber led flashing out back normal? Thnx.
« Last Edit: 1 Jun 2018, 09:51 pm by Nordkapp »

schmidtmike76

« Reply #23 on: 2 Jun 2018, 12:42 pm »
Does the BDP 3 beat the Pi sonically or do they sound the same?

Xinon

« Reply #24 on: 9 Jun 2018, 09:06 am »
My BDP-3 is loosing USB connection all the time, Im about to give up on it.
Small static pop and USB is gone, only BUC Board is visible in the Dashboard.
Restarting BDP-3 don't help, turning BDA-3 off/on brings it back, but only for so long.
Now ROON can't find it, even though it is on same network and showing BDP in Roon ready mode.
At this price point Im really disappointed with the stability and user friendliness of this device.
It is now in service mode Service ID 14.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 9 Jun 2018, 01:20 pm »
Hi Xinon

Its always frustrating for us and the customer when they have issues with our gear.

We have thousands of BDP's out there now and have been trouble free for many of our customers for years.  Generally the problems are network related but I understand the BDP tends to get blamed when these issues occur but I am sure Chris will be able to help after he has a look at what's going on in your specific setup.

james

TJ-Sully

« Reply #26 on: 10 Jun 2018, 03:21 am »

...We have thousands of BDP's out there now and have been trouble free for many of our customers for years. 

Hi Xinon, I can attest to this. I have the early model BDP-1. it's been running for years without any significant issues. Once in awhile i need to power it off/on...and as soon as it fires up, it's rocking and rolling. Sorry to hear you're having issues, but if you can wait until Chris reaches out to you I'm sure thing will turn around for you. Hang in there!

TJ

NHSkier

« Reply #27 on: 10 Jun 2018, 09:32 pm »
Restarting BDP-3 don't help, turning BDA-3 off/on brings it back, but only for so long.
Now ROON can't find it, even though it is on same network and showing BDP in Roon ready mode.
At this price point Im really disappointed with the stability and user friendliness of this device.

If it's any consolation Xinon, I recently had problems with a similarly well supported Salk Streamplayer II. After a couple consultations with Jim, it turned out all my problems were due to network issues. My advice would be to stick with well supported devices like Bryston's and Salk's. The grass isn't greener on the other side.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #28 on: 11 Jun 2018, 05:22 pm »

Hi Xinon,

Is the service ID still 14?  Also it might be best to arrange to arrange a time to call is possible.  In the mean time if you aren't already you may want to consider updating to the current test build.

http://support.bryston.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=248

Chris

Nick V

« Reply #29 on: 11 Jun 2018, 09:29 pm »
Quote from: matthewpartrick on 11 May 2018, 12:12 pm
Not to pressure the guys at Bryston, but now that Roon 1.5 is MQA-ready, is this a possibility for the BDP3 in the future?
Nope

james

I understand Bryston's stance on MQA. Having said that, with the BDPs, with version 1.5 can Roon now perform the first "software unfold" of MQA with Tidal Masters and send the 88.2 or 96kHz digital signal to the BDPs?

As a Tidal subscriber, I feel like there's some value in that. I'm currently considering a used BDP-2 or Auralic Aries.

Krutsch

« Reply #30 on: 12 Jun 2018, 08:13 pm »
I understand Bryston's stance on MQA. Having said that, with the BDPs, with version 1.5 can Roon now perform the first "software unfold" of MQA with Tidal Masters and send the 88.2 or 96kHz digital signal to the BDPs?

As a Tidal subscriber, I feel like there's some value in that. I'm currently considering a used BDP-2 or Auralic Aries.

Yes.

Xinon

« Reply #31 on: 13 Jun 2018, 04:47 pm »
Hi Xinon

Its always frustrating for us and the customer when they have issues with our gear.

We have thousands of BDP's out there now and have been trouble free for many of our customers for years.  Generally the problems are network related but I understand the BDP tends to get blamed when these issues occur but I am sure Chris will be able to help after he has a look at what's going on in your specific setup.

james

My english is not the best, I try to explain better.
I have no problem with network, I never loose the network connection with BDP-3.
I can see it and find it on my Mac in "my.bryston.com", I can go in and configure it without issue.

It is connected to bda-3 with USB.
After playing for a while, from either ROON or USB stick, there is a sharp "hiss" from speaker(like when something is short circuit) and the USB "handshake" between BDP-3 and BDA-3 is lost.
The BDP-3 still plays files, but there is no sound.
It sometimes plays the files as normal, but sometime just skipping through all files in playlist.
Sometimes it is enough to restart the DAC, or restart BDP and DAC.
And sometimes I need to go into the menu and select USB and save.
Have tried 4 different USB cable and still the same.
Tried USB1 and USB2 on dac, and different USB out on BDP.
Not tried AES/EBU in ages, but have cable and can try to see if this is stable.

Xinon

« Reply #32 on: 13 Jun 2018, 05:08 pm »
Hi Xinon,

Is the service ID still 14?  Also it might be best to arrange to arrange a time to call is possible.  In the mean time if you aren't already you may want to consider updating to the current test build.

http://support.bryston.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=248

Chris

Thanks Chris
Downloaded and installed the beta.
Testing now, 31 song playlist from Tidal playing.
Sound is of course excellent, if it is stable I will send you a bottle of Scotch :thumb:

Update:
7 songs and needed to restart DAC. BDP playing as normal, green USB light on DAC, but no sound.
Restart dac and push play on BDP and sound is back.

2  songs later the same happens.

Xinon

« Reply #33 on: 13 Jun 2018, 05:45 pm »
Just to eliminate Network, I take out ethernet cable and playing from USB stick using only the buttons now.

(Before I restarted the DAC I tried to push play, the DAC locks on 44K1, but no sound till after restart.)

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #34 on: 13 Jun 2018, 08:24 pm »
Just to eliminate Network, I take out ethernet cable and playing from USB stick using only the buttons now.

(Before I restarted the DAC I tried to push play, the DAC locks on 44K1, but no sound till after restart.)

Sorry I'm a little confused, are you using Roon or MPD?  I thought you had been using Roon and are you still using Roon or have you switched to MPD?

Chris

rfbdp1

« Reply #35 on: 14 Jun 2018, 03:20 am »
Interesting review of BDP-3 in Hifi-Advice/ April 27 that prompted me to play files directly off hard drives attached to my BDP-2 instead of through Roon with files on the core computer. Anyone care to comment on differences in SQ between the two sources? I'm in process of selecting a few files to compare.

zoom25

« Reply #36 on: 14 Jun 2018, 04:47 am »
Interesting review of BDP-3 in Hifi-Advice/ April 27 that prompted me to play files directly off hard drives attached to my BDP-2 instead of through Roon with files on the core computer. Anyone care to comment on differences in SQ between the two sources? I'm in process of selecting a few files to compare.

I, for one, think they sound identical. You are playing out of buffer. As long as it's filled in advance, that's all that matters.

Xinon

« Reply #37 on: 14 Jun 2018, 05:16 pm »
Sorry I'm a little confused, are you using Roon or MPD?  I thought you had been using Roon and are you still using Roon or have you switched to MPD?

Chris

I am using Roon, but to eliminate network issues i swithed to MPD and removed the ethernet cable.
Its strange because I use ROON on a Lumin D1(streamer) and Apple TV4 both through BDA-3, ATV4 wireless and Lumin with ethernet cable from the same router (as the BDP-3 also is hooked on to) with no issue.

Now Im beginning to suspect that maybe it is a network issue, because I played all evening yesterday on BDP-3(MPD) without any errors.
Maybe BDP-3 is more sensitive to small network issues or errors from Tidal, Tidal is not always stable, it sometimes is very slow.

Installed a new QNAP NAS today, and gonna change the ethernet cable from the router to BDP-3 next week.
Been playing some ripped albums from the new NAS today with ROON and BDP-3 and  no issues so far.
Maybe I came out a little strong blaming everything on the BDP-3, I sure hope so, cause the sound it makes is unbeatable.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #38 on: 14 Jun 2018, 11:50 pm »
The problem with comparing mpd “offline” vs roon is your not necessarily isolating the network as the culprit as you have also changed which piece of software is rendering the audio.  Do local files play fine through roon and is it just tracks from TIDAL or is it both local files and tracks from TIDAL?  Can you use MPD to play files from a NAS or TIDAL (the beta/test build should have a TIDAL option in Media Player)?

Chris

James Tanner

• Facilitator