ModWright's New and Future Mods Offerings!

modwright

« on: 22 Nov 2004, 10:23 pm »
Okay, here is the new lineup:

Denon 3910:  Mods will be offered for this unit, featuring transformer coupled analog stages and SS and/or tube output stages.  New units with mods will be offered.  I expedt pricing to start at $1900.

Cary 306/200:  Parts upgrade mods available for this fantastic unit.  I found the stock unit to be good, but a bit cold and lacking some musicality.  We have modified a unit with exceptional results, including upgrades to the power supplies.  Additoinal mods will include AC Bybee filters and upgraded op-amps in final analog stage.  Price for full mod = $750.

Lexicon RT-10:  Still in design stages as we are doing a custom mod for one customer.  Based on our findings and results, we will likely offer  a mod for this unit.  More info to come...

Sony Entry Level CD/SACD and CD/SACD/DVD players:  Mods are in the works for these players, to offer high-end performance at entry-level prices.  More info to come...

We are also going to be working with a high-end mfr. as a design consultant, to produce a MCH Universal Player for their line.

In addition to the long-awaited release of our SWL 9.0 and SWL 9.0SE linestage preamp, we have a lot on our plate.  We are also still finishing a couple of overdue mod jobs and I thank these customers again for their patience.

Thanks,

Dan W.

mr_bill

« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2004, 11:45 pm »
Dan,
You still mod the Sony 999es don't you?
Thanks,
Bill

Phil

« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2004, 02:57 am »
Dan,
for the Denon 3910, do you anticipate offering tube options that don't require an external power supply, that is, a one box solution?

Phil

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2004, 03:20 am »
Quote from: mr_bill
Dan,
You still mod the Sony 999es don't you?
Thanks,
Bill

I believe these are simply his NEWEST mods (as per the thread title).  I gotta assume all the 999ES, Pioneer,Denon etc are still on.  They are his mainstays.

Ted_B

modwright

New Wor Only
« Reply #4 on: 23 Nov 2004, 05:14 pm »
Yes, this is just the NEW lineup.  We are definiitely still doing the 999ES.  It is truly one of our top sellers and MANY people are quite happy with it.

The mods for the 3910 may include a one-box solution, provided there is more interest in it this way.  There are some limitations to how sophisticated of a PS we can build, simply due to space restrictions.  The transformer and choke are phsically large.

I am most excited about the use of signal transformers in the design, both SS and tube mods. I will be sharing my impressions here soon after I get the products from the UK.

I am also going to be ordering a pair of output line-level transformers from Jensen today for use in the preamp.  This will give us the option of adding balanced outs to the pre.

Thanks,

Dan

Welly Wu

« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2004, 09:56 am »
Dan:

I hope you find a minute or two to follow my thread over at Head-Fi regarding my ModWright LLC Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi.

I hope you do not discontinue work on this excellent platform with your exceptionally musical work.  I may be able to convince some of my friends to do business with you next year.  So, please put those key Pioneer related web pages back on line!

modwright

DV-59
« Reply #6 on: 24 Nov 2004, 04:46 pm »
I have read your review Welly Wu and I am very grateful for it!  I may in fact offer mods for this unit again, but I have to get caught back up first.  They just proved to be too time consuming.

Thanks,

Dan W.

J North

« Reply #7 on: 24 Nov 2004, 05:47 pm »
Dan,

Do you have the new DVP-NS975V in the shop?

Any comments on it yet?

Possible mods?

Thanks!

J North

« Reply #8 on: 24 Nov 2004, 05:50 pm »
Also, what about the SCD-CE595 and its upscale brother the SCD-C2000ES?

Thanks again!

Welly Wu

« Reply #9 on: 25 Nov 2004, 02:43 am »
Dan,

First, that's not a real review ;-).  Those are just impressions.  I've noticed that the so called ground loop hum is ever so quieter now that more time as elapsed.  I have the Ultimate Ears Ue-10 PRO which has 13.3 Ohms of resistance.  I can literally hear so deep into my equipment and my music that it's mind boggling.  I've noticed that changing some of the internal Pioneer Legato PRO pre-defined custom DSPs has an affect upon the noise floor considerably.  It also changes the balance, tone, and color of the unit especially when playing Red Book CDs.

All I got to say is that you've not just narrowed the gap between Red Book CD and Super Audio CD or DVD-Audio but you've crafted a finely tuned musical instrument.  This thing plays music so well that I am astonished how much of a paradigm shift I've made in terms of listening and critiquing HI-FI equipment to just listening to the music itself.  Period.

When I get a SUPER UNIVERSAL source component, it'll be sent to you only for future heavy heavy modifications.  That's how much I trust your work and your eyes & ears.

BTW: since so much has been heavily modded, the performance of DVD-Video at all resolutions on all types of compatible displays has been ELEVATED!  I know you may not have modded the video section, but you inadvertently did.  Unless, of course, I'm just a blind audiophile.

modwright

Sony Mods
« Reply #10 on: 25 Nov 2004, 05:28 am »
I do have a Sony 2000 and I believe the 975V, but I haven't had a chance to look at the 975 yet.

I will post my impressions of both as soon as I am done with them.

Thanks,

Dan

Jose Garcia

« Reply #11 on: 26 Nov 2004, 03:17 pm »
Hola Dan, saludos.

Please, post some opinions on the sound of both units, specially the 2000ES, and about the internal construction.

Don't eat to much turkey sandwiches  :lol:

Jose.

gitarretyp

« Reply #12 on: 27 Nov 2004, 06:22 am »
Dan,

Could you clarify the pricing for the 3910 mods (i realize this is only tentative right now). It seems that you say mods will start at ~1900 for it. Is this true, or will this be the price of a universal truth type mod? Any pricing info you could supply would be helpful as i'm trying to decide on either the onkyo sp1000 with little to no mods or a modded denon 3910.

Thanks

Welly Wu

« Reply #13 on: 27 Nov 2004, 10:29 am »
I'd still go with a ModWright LLC Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi:

1. Hassle free functions
2. Excellent video quality
3. Exception musical lyricism
4. Less expensive

For me, I would be hesitant investing more than the $3,000 USD threshold for any digital source component (and I am very much a proponent of source first philosophy).  I would rather prefer to spend less and begin saving for a SUPER UNIVERSAL PLAYER that plays it all...and I would send such a machine to Mr. Dan Wright for heavy modifications as I trust his ears.

That's just my opinion.  Don't chase specifications.  Don't chase cutting edge features.  You'll never be satisfied and you'll never catch up with the game: universal DVD players are computers and sold as commodities.  The technological landscape will change in the next four years with HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, HDTV being mandated on all American households, and the future of both DVD-Audio/DualDisc or SA-CD/SA-CS2CD is very much hanging on a thread.  Of course, 2005 will set the tone for both hi-rez formats in terms of merely surviving another year or failing completely.  Then, there is that rumor that both hi-rez formats will be "piggy backed" onto HD-DVD and Blu-Ray separately as a part of their standard specifications.

Who knows?

gitarretyp

« Reply #14 on: 27 Nov 2004, 07:27 pm »
I'd still go with a ModWright LLC Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi:

Actually, that raises another interesting question. I seem to have read recently on the asylum that you no longer mod the pioneers. Is this true?

modwright

Mod
« Reply #15 on: 28 Nov 2004, 05:19 am »
We are not currently modifying Pioneer units as we have too much other work at the moment.

Thanks,

Dan

rbrb

« Reply #16 on: 30 Nov 2004, 05:28 pm »
Dan anxiously waiting for your impressions of the 975V, hint, hint.

modwright

Answers:
« Reply #17 on: 30 Nov 2004, 06:35 pm »
Okay, mods for the 3910 will start at $1500 for the mods, including tubes.  I expec them to go up to $2000 with options.  I will be stocking fully modified players, with tube mods starting at approx. $2600 - $3000.

I will listen to the 975 today.

The 2000 is a good unit and I am definitely interested in pursuing a mod for it.

We are no longer offering Pioneer mods - simply too busy and have to limit our offerings.

Thanks,

Dan

Jose Garcia

« Reply #18 on: 30 Nov 2004, 08:23 pm »
Thanks for the information.

Have you checked the innards of the 2000ES? It has a lot of space to work these units. Have you found any information on those DSD chips?

What do you like about the unit? As you know I have one and there are not much written about it, even when I found it to be a great inexpensive unit. There is no formal review , maybe because it is a cheap unit  :wink: .

One thing I would try to work on it is the lower frequencies. I could be wrong and you will notice it, but I found it be a little boomy although it works ok with some Cds. I also thing that it has a low output, that based on my experience with my previous unit. I have to increase the volume on my McCrmack RLD-1 a few Db's to pair my favorite listenning volume.

The unit, as is, is very detailed, has good side/back soundstage and the timbral accuracy is very nice to ( specially on percussion and brass).

Check to the "blackness", at times it seems not to be as clear as I wanted it to be. This doesn't mean that is muddy, it has just a little veil in front that can be due to my electrical system ( ???)...

Damping..that's an area it can be improved. Specially on the top lead and under the 2 transformers.

One thing I like about it is that it doesn't congest at high volumes and it gets very dynamic ( speacially with Salsa and Latin Jazz).

Dan, please  :mrgreen: ...let us know your impressions, how they compare with mine and against other units.

Take care,

Jose.

J North

« Reply #19 on: 30 Nov 2004, 09:53 pm »
I talked to OADE Bros today about the 2000ES.

They felt that it's SACD performance was very good and redbook was about average.

The sales guy also said that the beefier DVP-NS555ES DVD/SACD changer gives better redbook performance but may not give better SACD performance (Oade is impressed with the DSD chip in the 2000ES)

All comments were relating to stock models.

I am wondering which unit would be the better overall performer after mods?