Dynaco FM 5

timbo

Dynaco FM 5
« on: 29 Nov 2015, 01:45 pm »
 Do any of you have knowledge of the Dynaco FM5 . I know that with my limited capabilities that I will only be able to do so much with out taking it to a professional.  My questions are. Is the current in the Stereo and Tuned indicator circuits critical. I replaced the bulbs with #327 units and it seems to function well but the signal strength meter only rises when you tune past the 90 mhz point .  Also are there any recommendations for bulbs for the dial and meter ? I have  FM3 , SCA 35, Working on an ST70 , and the newly acquired FM5 which I find interesting . It picks up stations better than any other tuner in the house . I also have a Fisher 500 C. Thanks , Timbo

Guy 13

Re: Dynaco FM 5
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2015, 02:13 pm »
Do any of you have knowledge of the Dynaco FM5 . I know that with my limited capabilities that I will only be able to do so much with out taking it to a professional.  My questions are. Is the current in the Stereo and Tuned indicator circuits critical. I replaced the bulbs with #327 units and it seems to function well but the signal strength meter only rises when you tune past the 90 mhz point .  Also are there any recommendations for bulbs for the dial and meter ? I have  FM3 , SCA 35, Working on an ST70 , and the newly acquired FM5 which I find interesting . It picks up stations better than any other tuner in the house . I also have a Fisher 500 C. Thanks , Timbo

Hi Timbo,
I do not have any answers to your questions,
therefore I am of no help to you,
but you can help me
and post some pictures of your vintage stuff.
I love those things, when the manufacturers knews how to build something good
and nice looking.
Pictures please.

Guy 13
The tube guy.

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2015, 02:20 pm »
Suggest you contact Frank Van Alstine. He's very knowledgeable about the Dynaco stuff. You can get his contact info on his Circle.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2015, 02:23 pm »
Hi Timbo,
I do not have any answers to your questions,
therefore I am of no help to you,
but you can help me
and post some pictures of your vintage stuff.
I love those things, when the manufacturers knews how to build something good
and nice looking.
Pictures please.

Guy 13
The tube guy.
:o  :lol:

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2015, 04:47 pm »

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2015, 05:28 pm »
Searched their site and they don't do service on any of the solid state Dynamo items like the FM5 but they do have a good quality scan of the owner's manual (including the schematic).

Almost all of the parts in this tuner are made of "unobtainium" so I would repeat my above recommendation to talk to Frank Van Alstine before putting a lot of energy into it.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2015, 01:55 am »
Searched their site and they don't do service on any of the solid state Dynamo
This site is very fortunate to have someone like you to try and show when someone maybe wrong.
Did you think, for even a millisecond that I posted that link so he could find what little info is out there?
Keep up the good work..........

Douger

« Reply #7 on: 4 Dec 2015, 04:15 pm »
I have had an FM 5, don't use it any longer because I live in a bad place for reception. I second the suggestion to ask Frank Van Alstine, AVA on this forum. Welcome to AC!