The Absolute Sound reviews the LDR3.V2

33na3rd

The Absolute Sound reviews the LDR3.V2
« on: 10 Nov 2015, 06:13 pm »
The December 2015 (Issue 258) of The Absolute Sound gave a nice review of the Tortuga Audio LDR3.V2!

Unfortunately they screwed up the price, listing it at $1995 !

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: The Absolute Sound reviews the LDR3.V2
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2015, 07:52 pm »
The December 2015 (Issue 258) of The Absolute Sound gave a nice review of the Tortuga Audio LDR3.V2!

Unfortunately they screwed up the price, listing it at $1995 !

Yes, the review just came out. They have the correct price in the body of the review ($1195) but got it wrong in the summary section.

Here's a link to the review: http://www.tortugaaudio.com/documents/docs/TAS_Review_LDR3.V2_December2015.pdf

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2015, 08:14 pm »
Yes, the review just came out. They have the correct price in the body of the review ($1195) but got it wrong in the summary section.

Here's a link to the review: http://www.tortugaaudio.com/documents/docs/TAS_Review_LDR3.V2_December2015.pdf

Congrats, Morten! Great, well deserved review!

Cheers,
Pete

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2015, 08:42 pm »
As we used to say "Gabba Gabba Hey!"  Heck, I still say it.

Great review, Morten, and well deserved.

Steven Stone

« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2015, 09:07 pm »
Sorry about the specifications box -  :duh:

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2015, 09:29 pm »
Sorry about the specifications box -  :duh:

No problem and thanks for taking on this review Steven.  :thumb:

kernelbob

« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2015, 11:40 pm »
I read and then reread the review, but it didn't begin to capture the Tortuga's magic.  The exercise of introducing different lengths of interconnect by inserting additional connectors misses one of the key benefits of the Tortuga system... the elimination of switches, potentiometers, or added connectors.

Also, instead of switching back and forth between various interconnects, you need to leave the configured system alone and let the cables and components settle in if you really want to hear what the Tortuga can deliver.  That's when you'll hear the bass power and slam that you never expected from a passive device.

The reviewer was also remiss not to have explored the impact of the variable impedance controls that allow the user to precisely match the optimum load impedance for a source.  That's the key that let a Tortuga LDR1B to outperform two highly regarded five figure preamps.

stvnharr

« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2015, 03:55 am »
A few things passed thru my mind as I read the review, and some have been addressed in previous posts. The one thing that I picked up on right away at first listen is the tremendous increase in dynamic range, ambient information, and music presentation over what I had with only a stepped attenuator between dac and amp. I listen mostly to big classical pieces and what I described is not hard to pick up immediately. I think this also comes out in spades with any acoustic recording. However with close miked music, such as what most people listen to, there is not such a dramatic difference, though it is still there.
But a review is more than just a listener's perceptions. And I think the review did a good job of describing what the unit actually is and does. I felt the summary was a little understated, as if transparency is not a desired goal in music reproduction. Just go to any music concert of any kind in any venue and the music will always sound transparent.

Then again, TAS is in the business of promoting expensive audio equipment where almost anything costing under $10k is thought of as a budget/entry level unit. So to give any praise at all to a unit costing barely over $1k, and not deride it as "good for the money", or some other condescending term, is really quite something.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #8 on: 12 Nov 2015, 12:45 pm »
Much thanks to all for their thoughtful and supportive comments here, elsewhere and in PM/emails. The last few years have been an interesting journey and it's quite gratifying to have added some satisfying and positive audio goodness to this mad obsession we share, rant and rave about.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Morten

krbabu

« Reply #9 on: 13 Nov 2015, 01:07 pm »
Hello all
I am using a Bryson 4b sst2. Power amp

Is this passive pre a good match for my power , any users could share their setup and the nature of sound

Ythanks
Babu

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #10 on: 13 Nov 2015, 06:42 pm »
Hello all
I am using a Bryson 4b sst2. Power amp

Is this passive pre a good match for my power , any users could share their setup and the nature of sound

Ythanks
Babu

Moved this question/answer to a new topic. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138659.new#new

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2016, 09:03 pm »
The review is now live on The Absolute Sound website via the link below.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/tortuga-ldr3v2k-passive-preamplifier/

justubes

« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2016, 03:44 am »
Congrats to a fantastic gem of a product!