Sonore DIY USB Interface - USB to i2s interface

barrows

• Industry Participant
Re: Sonore DIY USB Interface - USB to i2s interface
« Reply #40 on: 31 Aug 2014, 04:27 pm »
what size of u.fl are used on the usb board ?
since i currently did not have any u.fl cables, is it ok to solder to pads directly behind.

for buffulo II.
also, just confirming, the trident for master clock is the one for  vdd_xo?   so remove L7 to
disable mclk power . ( i currently am not using the trident modules, so I assume, if i want to
restore using the buffulo master clock, i would just acquire/install the trident power module . )
(based on what I read in leonvb-Buffalo_II_Integration_Guide_V1.0.5, page 7  )

U.FL is a standard, there is only one size connector (there are multiple cables, but they fit the same board connector).  Digikey.com is your best source for U.FL cabling.  I just checked on my old B-II board, and it looks like you are correct that removing L7 would de-power the MC regulator.  It is a little tricky to provide external master clock on the B-II, the B-III and the B-IIIse actually have the connections in place to do this.
Even with the B-II I would still recommend using U.FL cables, I2S signals are pretty sensitive.  But for sure, you can wire with individual wires to the pads provided on the board.

If I was hooking up to the B-II, I would use U.FL cables, and hand terminate at the DAC side, connecting all the grounds (shield) to the ground point on the B-II input.  Masterclock is tricky: would search the B-II thread at diyaudio.com for "synchronous clocking" and there you will find info on how to connect an external master clock to the B-II.

Argopo

« Reply #41 on: 1 Sep 2014, 05:31 pm »
I have been working on a Dual Mono TPA Buffalo build using the older ES9008 boards. I can't seem to get the boards to work in a mono setup (I think they were meant for stereo) since the firmware on the on-board controllers or the Volumite controller seems to only recognize each board as separate stereo.

I've decided to ditch those boards, and go with a dual mono build with the more recent IIISE boards. And I want to use the Sonore USB interface only for DSD. And use the S/PDIF Mux 4:1 board for PCM.

Now, due to problems with the ESS chip and how it sees PCM/DSD in a dual-mono setup (http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/forum/yaf_postst3052_DSD-problem-on-Doble-Mono-configuration.aspx) I need to remap the inputs using a pair of Otto switches, as follows:

SWITCH A:

SWITCH B:

Here are photos of the build so far: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjWVkmmA

I am currently using JRiver from my HTPC connected to the DAC via BNC (modded on pc) for 24/192 playback. With JRiver I'll be able to create 2 zones, one for PCM via S/PDIF and the second for DSD via USB.

One other thing to note: my HTPC is about 25 feet from my DAC (which will require me to use a USB extender (http://www.icron.com/products/icron-brand/usb-extenders/cat5/usb-2-0-ranger-2212/).

In consideration of the above, I have the following questions:

1. What would be the limitations in using the interface solely for DSD?

2. I know you advise using the USB interface directly to a BIIISE board (since it was designed that way), but will I encounter any issues by using the interface with the pair of switches?

3. Will I encounter problems using the USB interface with the USB extender?

Thanks!

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #42 on: 1 Sep 2014, 06:57 pm »
1. What would be the limitations in using the interface solely for DSD?

None.

2. I know you advise using the USB interface directly to a BIIISE board (since it was designed that way), but will I encounter any issues by using the interface with the pair of switches?

This probably would not cause any "problems" but I myself am wary of putting all this stuff in the I2S path.  Every connection will add reflections and round the edges of the waveforms, adding additional jitter.  if there are enough connections and distortions of the signal, it could cause a loss of lock.  The only way to find out is to try it.  Keep in mind that the general rule for I2S signals is to keep them at 10 cm long or less, and closely coupled with their ground return.

3. Will I encounter problems using the USB interface with the USB extender?

As long as all of the USB products which you use are specified to be totally compliant with USB 2 specifications when used in the configuration which you choose to use, then it should work fine.

Additionally: I see no connection for bit clock in your diagram? I am pretty sure you are going to need bit clock for this to work.

Argopo

« Reply #43 on: 1 Sep 2014, 07:10 pm »
Additionally: I see no connection for bit clock in your diagram? I am pretty sure you are going to need bit clock for this to work.

Bit Clock is handled by the first switch "OTTO II 2:1 MUX SWITCH A".

Regarding the I2S cables, I will be using U.fl wherever possible, keeping them as short as possible.

If this setup does not work, I may just build the DAC with two single stereo boards (One for PCM) (One for DSD) and switch in the analog domain after the I/V stages.

But, like you said, I may need to try it out first to see if it works.

SCompRacer

« Reply #44 on: 6 Sep 2014, 06:45 pm »

But, like you said, I may need to try it out first to see if it works.

I've got a dual mono BIII with Sidecar and multiple inputs that sounds fantastic. Instead of adding an OTTO between the Sidecar and DAC I chose to use relays to fix the mono DSD issue with dual mono boards. I built a simple BIII with Legato for a friend and my dual mono still sounds better despite the complexity and extra switches. Once I go USB only I plan on simplifying it, but still need to retain the Denon CD/SACD player input for music meets where some folks bring hard media. 

I am really interested in replacing my Amanero with the Sonore. I had purchased the Acko isolation boards but that surface mount stuff is too small for my old eyes, even with a lighted magnifier. I think the Sonore price is very reasonable.

sondale

« Reply #45 on: 17 Oct 2014, 09:56 am »
Vortecjr,

I have sent an email to be placed on the waiting list, when do you expect the next batch to be ready?

At the moment I am driving my TP Buffalo II with an exau2i which sounds very good but can only handle DFF files, since most DSD recordings are supplied as DSF then this is a little inconvenient! :green:

vortecjr

• Facilitator
  • the sound has to be in concert with the music....
    • Sonore by Simple Design
« Reply #46 on: 18 Oct 2014, 12:24 pm »
i just received this board... plug into my mac its not detected.... The USB PG led is light up though but nothing happens... some jumpers i need to connect ? The output voltage from the voltage regulator on the USB PG shows ~1.26V.

The PCBs arrived and are being sent to the assembler. Things are moving along, but no ETA. I'll keep you posted.

Jesus R

Mags

« Reply #47 on: 1 Dec 2014, 02:18 am »
Any update on ETA for the USB to I2S modules? I'd be interested in obtaining one.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #48 on: 1 Dec 2014, 05:41 am »
I heard from Jesus that the next batch of boards will be available soon.  I would recommend contacting him and getting your name on the waiting list.

Mags

« Reply #49 on: 2 Dec 2014, 04:18 am »
Done.

Mags

« Reply #50 on: 5 Jan 2015, 09:36 pm »
So as I await my USB-I2S board, I'm planning the implementation with the Buff IIIse. I will need to use both the S/PDIF input of the Buff and the I2S from the USB board since I have an older source that can only use the S/PDIF, in addition to a computer that can use the USB. The Buff IIIse allows switching from S/PDIF to I2S inputs with an external switch - easy.

BUT...since I plan to use both the S/PDIF and I2S inputs of the Buff I'm assuming I can't then use the synchronous clocking feature of the Sonore board, since the Buff IIIse will need to have it's onboard clock running (with the associated Trident regulator in place) to handle the S/PDIF input. Is that correct?

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #51 on: 6 Jan 2015, 02:23 am »
So as I await my USB-I2S board, I'm planning the implementation with the Buff IIIse. I will need to use both the S/PDIF input of the Buff and the I2S from the USB board since I have an older source that can only use the S/PDIF, in addition to a computer that can use the USB. The Buff IIIse allows switching from S/PDIF to I2S inputs with an external switch - easy.

BUT...since I plan to use both the S/PDIF and I2S inputs of the Buff I'm assuming I can't then use the synchronous clocking feature of the Sonore board, since the Buff IIIse will need to have it's onboard clock running (with the associated Trident regulator in place) to handle the S/PDIF input. Is that correct?

Correct.

Jesus R

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #52 on: 6 Jan 2015, 02:24 am »
I heard from Jesus that the next batch of boards will be available soon.  I would recommend contacting him and getting your name on the waiting list.

FYI fresh batch of boards are available for purchase...

Jesus R

seenc

« Reply #53 on: 8 Jan 2015, 12:31 am »
please recommend good diy solution to add spdif aes/ebu output?

Mags

« Reply #54 on: 8 Jan 2015, 03:53 am »
Hey, just noticed that my board has no labels on any of the components/connections, unlike the one in the picture in the first post! Is that intended?

Guess I can work off the picture if I have to.

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #55 on: 8 Jan 2015, 11:49 pm »
Mags, shoot me an email...

Jesus R

koccxsc

« Reply #56 on: 29 May 2015, 04:09 pm »
Hey, for anyone using the interface, or interested, I just built a really trick 3.6 VDC power supply, and bypassed the first stage onboard regulator on the USB interface.  I am now getting the best sound I have ever heard out of my Buffalo DAC.  Of course, I built a crazy supply, haha:  Bridge with my favorite ONsemi ultra soft diodes, then a capacitor multiplier filter section (which cuts the ripple down to nothing), followed by a carefully tuned Salas shunt reg.  Many thanks to Salas over at diyaudio for advice and the Cmultiplier.  I figured going all in on this supply made sense, since I am using the masterclock feed from the interface to clock everything.
So, it is definately worth experimenting with ultra low noise supplies at 3.6 VDC.
Hello barrows,
could you post the circuit? Which transistor did you use for the multiplier?
Thank you!

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #57 on: 29 Jun 2015, 10:24 pm »
FYI a fresh batch of boards is now available for purchase...

Jesus R

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #58 on: 29 Jun 2015, 11:32 pm »
Hello barrows,
could you post the circuit? Which transistor did you use for the multiplier?
Thank you!

Only just saw this, sorry!  It is a little difficult for me to post a schematic, I will have to draw it by hand and then photograph it, but it can be done.  I can confirm the transistor used was a MJE15032 (I used an ONsemi part).
Since then I have changed to using a Salas Reflektor regulator to power the USB board, and found the C-multiplier was of no benefit with the RefleKtor, so I ditched it.

koccxsc

« Reply #59 on: 5 Jul 2015, 07:18 pm »
Only just saw this, sorry!  It is a little difficult for me to post a schematic, I will have to draw it by hand and then photograph it, but it can be done.  I can confirm the transistor used was a MJE15032 (I used an ONsemi part).
Since then I have changed to using a Salas Reflektor regulator to power the USB board, and found the C-multiplier was of no benefit with the RefleKtor, so I ditched it.
Thank you, barrows!
I've got some Salas Reflektor boards here, so I will build my DAC using only Salas reg.