Elyse DAC

talk2me

Re: Elyse DAC
« Reply #40 on: 30 Apr 2015, 04:44 pm »
Just bought a used Enlightened Audio Design CD-1000 as a transport for my Elyse DAC. I am very, very happy. This combo blows away my old Mcintosh MCD 550, Burmester 089 and GNSC Wadia S7i. The pioneer stable platter is really that good. I also got a laser lens assembly in the purchase for the future. I also will have Noble mods upgrade the diodes after I have enjoyed it for several months.

talk2me

« Reply #41 on: 3 May 2015, 04:26 pm »
** Update: Out of my cd collection some cd's would not play in the CD-1000, but would play in my Sony ES7200 blu-ray player. That, plus the fact parts are no longer available (only for the EAD Ultradisk 2000), I am now looking at Esoteric for a transport. If I can get the EAD/Elyse sound with the build quality of an Esoteric, I will call it a day.

Phil A

dminches

« Reply #43 on: 3 May 2015, 06:28 pm »
I never thought a transport could make that much of a difference.  I have never owned an expensive transport and now use a music server.

talk2me

« Reply #44 on: 3 May 2015, 09:11 pm »
There's one on Audiogon - not cheap though - http://app.audiogon.com/listings/transports-esoteric-p-05-transport-with-full-warranty-2015-04-17-digital-01060-florence-ma

Thanks, but I am looking at a DV-60 as a transport. I am very happy with the sound of the EAD pioneer stable platter, and hopefully the Esoteric can match or better it and with better build quality.

talk2me

« Reply #45 on: 3 May 2015, 09:12 pm »
Thanks, but I am looking at a DV-60 as a transport. I am very happy with the sound of the EAD pioneer stable platter, and hopefully the Esoteric can match or better it and with better build quality.

In my system, to me, it makes a very significant difference.

Phil A

« Reply #46 on: 3 May 2015, 11:48 pm »
A transport can definitely make a difference.  Many moons (in my old house) ago I owned a Micro Mega Duo Pro DAC.  I had several transports in the main system and had moved the Micro Mega to the main system from the basement system.  I had a friend come over right after I hooked up my Proceed PDMT to it.  I was playing a CD layer of a hybrid SACD and he thought I got a new SACD player.

modwright

« Reply #47 on: 5 May 2015, 07:20 pm »
Recent Elyse DAC customer feedback!

Dan, while I only have only put  about 25 hours on my new Elyse DAC since its arrival this week, I have to say that its purchase is a decision I would gladly make again. I have the Elyse running with NOS tubes, a Mullard 5AR4 rectifier and a pair of Siemens 6922 A frame gold pins.  The Elyse has taken my system and listening  experience to a whole new level. The music has more body, definition, dynamics and involvement. I am anxious to hear what further improvement there will be as the Elyse continues to break-in and the tubes burn-in.

As with my purchase of the LS 100 and KWA 100SE , I did not have an opportunity to audition the Elyse, but once again your talents and that of the Modwright team made that a non-issue. You give the rest of us the gift of a wonderful and enjoyable musical experience.  F. Chirco, May 3, 2015.

I will continue to share the feedback as it comes in!

Thanks,

Dan

talk2me

« Reply #48 on: 7 May 2015, 04:14 am »
^ Dan, Mr. Chirco, before he bought his Elyse DAC, asked me for my opinion.  :thumb:

modwright

« Reply #49 on: 7 May 2015, 12:10 pm »
Thanks!  I really appreciate that! Everyone that gets it loves it!

It has been a LONG labor of love!

Take care,

Dan

talk2me

« Reply #50 on: 15 May 2015, 09:28 pm »
I got a very good deal on a new in box old Esoteric DV-60, which sounds awesome with my Elyse DAC. And as the Elyse has been breaking in, it sounds so, so good also with my MacBook Pro on USB using 96hz. Not to give Dan any ideas, but he could easily sell the Elyse for $15K. It is that good. :bowdown:

jriggy

« Reply #51 on: 15 May 2015, 10:40 pm »
Congrats t2m. Glad you found a transport you are happy with. Now, if you ever get an opportunity to try the PWT Transport against it, ya gotta let me know. I may be able to try an Esoteric here locally though, too...

jriggy

« Reply #52 on: 15 May 2015, 10:42 pm »
any other reviews out there?
« Last Edit: 16 May 2015, 03:55 pm by jriggy »

Phil A

« Reply #53 on: 15 May 2015, 11:36 pm »

jriggy

« Reply #54 on: 16 May 2015, 05:09 am »
Thanks Phil.
I seem to like tube rectified, small signal tube based DACs. And still remember Elyse from over a year ago.  Def enjoy the updates.

talk2me

« Reply #55 on: 25 May 2015, 03:21 pm »
Also, the ModWright customer service is world class.

cheech

« Reply #56 on: 16 Jul 2015, 12:28 pm »
I purchased an Elyse within the last couple of months, and swapped out a Blue Circle DAC which I enjoyed. I replaced  the stock tubes with a NOS Mullard rectifier and Mazda 6922s. This DAC took my system to a whole new level, wider soundstage, more separation,  definition, and authority. Extremely well built as are, in my opinion, Dan's other offerings (have LS100 pre, and KWA100SE amp). I didn't have the opportunity to audition or hear at a show the Elyse, nor for that matter the pre or amp, but I have had absolutely no reservations with these purchases. Dan and his team are top notch talents!

modwright

« Reply #57 on: 16 Jul 2015, 01:37 pm »
Thank you for your support and feedback!  I greatly appreciate it and feel that our customers say it best.  Our customer are who we are here to please.

Take care,

Dan

mjalazard

« Reply #58 on: 22 Jul 2015, 02:59 am »
A transport can definitely make a difference.  Many moons (in my old house) ago I owned a Micro Mega Duo Pro DAC.  I had several transports in the main system and had moved the Micro Mega to the main system from the basement system.  I had a friend come over right after I hooked up my Proceed PDMT to it.  I was playing a CD layer of a hybrid SACD and he thought I got a new SACD player.
Dan actually experienced this (albeit with some limoncello under his belt!):
We had Dan's fully Modded Oppo BPD105 running in our NFS Audio room at the THE Newport.  I also brought along the venerable Nakamichi 1000mb CD transport ca: 1992 hooked into the digital input of the Oppo.  To my surprise, this 20+ year old performed and sounded better than the Oppo.  I really never thought a transport would make such a difference!
Kudos to that big aluminum brick!
I'de love to hear it with the Elyse.
Mike Alazard

Phil A

« Reply #59 on: 22 Jul 2015, 03:30 am »
Mike - I understand exactly what you mean.  I actually have 5 Oppo players spread among 4 systems (2 of them have outboard DACs), including a Modwright solid stated modded BDP-83.  While I no longer have the PMDT for many years, the best CD transport I have, I don't use at the moment.  Mostly since I have file playback, my Marantz DV9600, which is currently the best CD transport I own, sits in what is a guest room.  Including a couple of LD players, I have 11 transports between the system and one in a closet and I gave away two before a move about a year in a half.  I simplified the main system (which is an integrated A/V system with a Modwright KWA150 SE and an 36.5DM), otherwise I'd move the DV9600 if I used discs at all.  My Oppo 103D in the main system is used for only for movies (I have another 103d in what I'd call a third system and do have a hard drive attached to that with files) and twice a year when I have the Space Coast Audio Society over for a get together there may be a few discs played.  A good transport for someone who uses disc playback is a must.  When I had more room for components in the old place in the main system, the DV9600 was there even if was for occasional use.