X statik damping material

Pierre T

X statik damping material
« on: 19 Sep 2021, 11:22 pm »
I am on my way to build my X Statik speakers. What kind of sound damping shall be installed on the bass section ? There is no info when we order the kit ?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: X statik damping material
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2021, 11:46 pm »
I am on my way to build my X Statik speakers. What kind of sound damping shall be installed on the bass section ? There is no info when we order the kit ?
Hi Pierre,  I will move this topic to the GR Research Circle for your conveniênce.

subsonic1050

« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2021, 11:51 pm »

GR Research sells a product called No Res which is the recommended material to line the cabinets in the X-statik. It comes in sheets roughly 2 feet square and can be easily cut down to fit. It has a pressure sensitive adhesive on one side to install it.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2021, 12:57 am »
You might save the price of a hamburger and fries by buying something else, but Danny's No-Rez is probably the best stuff out there, and it's easy. 

Vince in TX

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2021, 06:11 pm »
I can attest to the no-res.   Great stuff!   Very dense, heavy, and easy to install (not so easy to cut with a dull blade, though, so have plenty of sharp blades handy).    :thumb:

Servo Sub 4:

A/V-1RS:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2021, 07:18 pm »
When I was active with speakers i tested various stuff materials, 20mm black foam was good but the best sound material according my taste was that brown car wood 15mm blanket, I noted the foam had a limited life after 10 years the sponge crumbled.

Vince in TX

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2021, 07:21 pm »
When I was active with speakers i tested various stuff materials, 20mm black foam was good but the best sound material according my taste was that brown car wood 15mm blanket, I noted the foam had a limited life after 10 years the sponge crumbled.

You're saying no-res only has a 10 year lifespan?   :o

That tidbit was missing from the brochure.    :D

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2021, 07:44 pm »
You're saying no-res only has a 10 year lifespan?   :o

That tidbit was missing from the brochure.    :D
No.
I used generic foam, it was in 2003 to 2019, so was more than 10 years.