Encore X-CS tweeter mount question

tc2007

• Industry Participant
    • CNC cut DIY speaker cabinet parts
Encore X-CS tweeter mount question
« on: 19 Sep 2021, 06:17 pm »
Question about the Encore X-CS tweeter mounting on the front baffle. Does it have to be flush mounted? I don't have access to CNC right now and my wood working guy may not able to do the counter sink properly with his skill set. So does it matter if the tweeter sits a bit outside (counter sink height is 0.18").

I know Danny is real thorough with his designs, but what is the side effect of the tweeter sitting out vs flush mount.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Encore X-CS tweeter mount question
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2021, 07:51 pm »
Question about the Encore X-CS tweeter mounting on the front baffle. Does it have to be flush mounted? I don't have access to CNC right now and my wood working guy may not able to do the counter sink properly with his skill set. So does it matter if the tweeter sits a bit outside (counter sink height is 0.18").

I know Danny is real thorough with his designs, but what is the side effect of the tweeter sitting out vs flush mount.

The tweeter has to be flush mounted. The woofers overlap the tweeter to get the acoustic centers as close as possible. If the tweeter isn't flush mounted, the woofers won't seat and seal properly. Also, you can't just space the woofers wide enough apart so they don't overlap the tweeter. For one, I don't think there's enough space to do it and even if there is, the crossover is designed for the drivers relative positions. Moving them will mess up the crossover.

subsonic1050

« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2021, 08:13 pm »

As Mike said, the recess is necessary. The good news is that it definitely doesn't require a cnc. It can be accomplished fairly easily with a router.

tc2007

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2021, 12:01 am »
The tweeter has to be flush mounted. The woofers overlap the tweeter to get the acoustic centers as close as possible. If the tweeter isn't flush mounted, the woofers won't seat and seal properly. Also, you can't just space the woofers wide enough apart so they don't overlap the tweeter. For one, I don't think there's enough space to do it and even if there is, the crossover is designed for the drivers relative positions. Moving them will mess up the crossover.

Yeah I didn't think about the overlap. I know the X-LS has an overlap but for some reason I thought the X-CS had lot of space between the drivers.  :duh:

Toecutter

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2021, 03:00 am »
I did my xls encores with a series of hole saws , got a set at harbor for 15 dollars. I'm by no means a great woodworker but I know my way around a saw.

First I marked the depth on the holesaw with tape. Then drilled a 4 inch to the depth then 3 1/2 then I drilled a 3 all the way through.  Cut away the material between the 4 and 3.5 with a knife. Checked and adjusted depth with calipers. Had to open the 3 inch hole a bit with a rasp.
The harbor freight hole saws were a tiny bit undersized which worked out.

tc2007

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2021, 01:44 am »
Thanks. I ended up ordering a CNC front for this. :)