***X-SLS & X-CS Encore, AV-1RS Build***

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: X-SLS & X-CS Encore, AV-1RS Build
« Reply #60 on: 18 Dec 2011, 10:09 pm »
Just finished all today, so I thought I'd wrap this up.

SLS and CS crossovers were on printed circuit board via AV123. RSs needed assembly. Long and skinny so it fits on floor of cabinet.

Crossover board ready for component mounting

Soldered and ready for hot melt glue

This shows wall cleat setup

Driver soldering, you can see crossover and No Rez

Giving them all a sound check and a little break-in before I crate them up to ship.
I hope it makes a nice addition to their home.

If I were doing over (and I might, I built another set along side these), I'd finish a little differently. I tried something I haven't done before; grain filling with a high build sealer as opposed to conventional grain filler. It worked OK, and is actually something I'll use in the future, but using both together would work better, I think. 

My black faux inlays got kinda lost in the dark stain, so that was a step I could have ommited and used hardwood only. They would show up better with a lighter finish. Some day I want to try red inlays.

In any project I always learn something in the way of method or technique, which, for me, is how any craft is honed. Honestly, if I were to consider the time spent to build these, I don't know that I couldn't have purchased something completed for similar cost, but that's the world of DIY, I suppose. I get a warm fuzzy knowing that they're the only ones like this and my hands made them.

There's a saying I ran across some time ago. I can't attribute the author, but since this is partially how I make my living, I like it. "By hammer and hand all things do stand". I should also tip my hat to Danny, who over the years has honed his craft into something to be envied. If it weren't for his efforts, my skills would be diminished.

Enough of the philosophy. Success to all you speaker builders reading this!

« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2011, 04:08 am by Peter J »

grimace

« Reply #61 on: 19 Dec 2011, 01:40 am »
Great work. What did you finish those N3 TLs (assume that is what they are) in the background with?  They look sweet.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #62 on: 19 Dec 2011, 02:38 am »
Great work. What did you finish those N3 TLs (assume that is what they are) in the background with?  They look sweet.

Those are actually Northcreek Rhythms, built many years ago. Northcreek used to sell kits. They're waterfall Bubinga finished in many coats of lacquer, probably 12 or 15, I just kept going till I liked how it looked.

They were filled with lighter colored grain filler and wet sanded between every 2nd or 3rd coat, probably ending up at 800 or 1000 grit then buffed with automotive compounds. Some of those coats would have been tinted with red toner.

It's sort of an old school way of finishing, too time consuming for production work. Probably spanned a month or so all told. Great finishes take time, but newer products like the sealer mentioned earlier offer some pretty cool ways to achieve results quicker.

musicmaniac

« Reply #63 on: 11 Mar 2012, 03:31 pm »
What a great thread!!! Thanks for sharing all of your hard work. How did they like their new home?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #64 on: 11 Mar 2012, 04:10 pm »
What a great thread!!! Thanks for sharing all of your hard work. How did they like their new home?

Thanks, I think they're happy, daughter tells me she has music on most of the day. The rears live next to centers on TV stand for now...nobody wants to fish the wires through attic to rear wall...wish I was closer, I'd do it for them.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #65 on: 1 Jul 2012, 05:24 pm »
I'm resurrecting this because it's essentially the same speaker setup with a different finishing twist.

When I originally built these for daughter and family, I fabricated a second set alongside them to the point of final finish 'cuz I had some ideas about a wild finish I wanted to try. In the meantime, y'all might remember the desktop speakers which I completed in a sort of modern look, which I'm fond of. You could see that here if you're interested

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=103789.0

This got me to thinkin' more about how most speakers look. I'm a wood guy and I like wood, but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to design and build a contemporary styled setup. This will document that and perhaps shed some light on some finer construction points I neglected in the first build.

First thing was to do a design study and see if my mental image looked good in the real world.

I liked the overall look, so I headed that direction. Ready to start laminating

Contact adhesive rolled on laminate and box. Over the years I've tried lots of contact glue, this is the best  adhesive I've ever tried...rolls on like paint and if it has a down side, it's that it takes a while to dry for assembly.

Dowels to keep the two surfaces from touching while aligning

Like this

Laminate roller to roll it out

Mid-stream assembly,  greenish dots are embedded neo magnets

All laminated and cutting driver holes

Centering bit (Vix bit) for drilling pilot holes for driver screws

Add a little countersink to keep screw threads from jacking laminate off surface

Bevels routed, I'm using black edge band

Trim the edge band

Used a black marker to color tweeter recess edge, looks better once mounted

Progress

srb

« Reply #66 on: 1 Jul 2012, 05:27 pm »
Is there a roundover on the inside of the woofer cutouts?

Steve

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #67 on: 1 Jul 2012, 05:56 pm »
Moving on to glass inlay, here I'm cutting recess for tile.

Inlays set and drying

And subsequent grouting

Onto some grill details. I prefer grills to be as shallow as possible, but these drivers that sit on top of cabinet present some challenges. I planned these better that the first ones. Here's a shot of grill back relieved for woofer rim

Laying out holes for magnets. I position the grill where I want it, drop the magnets onto grill and mark the the hole position. Doing it this way there's no need to be concerned about polarity when installing magnets in cabinet. This random method makes a grill that always oriented right, and if there's pairs of grills, they will be unique to a specific speaker...clear as mud?

Grills taped in place with riser blocks and wax paper under magnet holes

Magnet holes are drilled oversize so alignment isn't critical

System Three T-88 epoxy mixed up

I waggle a toothpick around it the hole with a glob of epoxy on it. Epoxy flows around magnet and locks it into position.

Epoxy wont stick to wax paper so it's a no-mess kinda deal.

Once magnets are glued in, a light sanding on the grills and they get a coat of flat black paint and dry overnight

More later.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #68 on: 1 Jul 2012, 05:58 pm »
Is there a roundover on the inside of the woofer cutouts?

Steve

Yep, 1/2" roundover. Hard to see in the pic, but its there.

Captainhemo

« Reply #69 on: 2 Jul 2012, 01:53 am »
This is great.  Threads like this provide us newbies (as well as verterns) so many  helpful tips and  techniques. It's really fortunate that we have guys  like you  that post these threads.  AWESOME  :thumb:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #70 on: 2 Jul 2012, 02:56 am »
Thanks CaptainHemo, it's my pleasure and welcome aboard!

SLSs done tonight,  getting some break-in time in the shop.

Grill frames naked

And a couple of vanity shots

skeeter99

« Reply #71 on: 2 Jul 2012, 03:23 am »
Wow those are simply stunning!! Seriously ridiculously amazing work. I may commission you to do my next build for you ... Wow!

Scott

Captainhemo

« Reply #72 on: 2 Jul 2012, 04:20 pm »
Wow, the finished speakers look remarkable

Danny Richie

« Reply #73 on: 2 Jul 2012, 04:35 pm »
Those do look really good.

Saturn94

« Reply #74 on: 6 Jul 2012, 02:36 pm »
I'm usually not a fan of more contemporary looking speakers, but those look fantastic! :thumb:

rockdrummer

« Reply #75 on: 6 Jul 2012, 04:03 pm »
I really like the angled theme throughout.  Coming from a novice woodworker, awesome workmanship and creativity.
I will also take the magnet install method for my next build. 
Thanks for sharing!

ben

Ron

« Reply #76 on: 6 Jul 2012, 08:47 pm »
  All of your speakers look very nice. I especially  like the construction and style of your tower speakers. Thanks for all the pictures you posted during the construction process for others to see.
Good job!  :thumb:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #77 on: 7 Sep 2012, 09:12 pm »
For those interested, we just visited daughter and family (the recipients of first set in this thread) in Michigan, and the rears were still sitting on the TV shelf...unconnected.

I couldn't leave without getting them installed, not because of them but rather my ocd  :? Spent a few hours fishing some wire in the attic and walls. Daughter had one requirement that they be equally spaced around what she has on the wall. So here's what I figured out.

and the fronts, I suggested they put center on top just under TV...it might happen...

The dark mahogany looks nice in their home. Wasn't completely set up, (exchanging receivers for a better one) before I left, but what little I listened to a football game it added a nice ambiance to the room.

jparkhur

« Reply #78 on: 18 Sep 2012, 05:33 pm »
Peter,

This was a wonderful build and the significant pictures adds even more to it than usual.  Masterful veneering.   Thanks for all the great pics.

JP :D

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: ***X-SLS & X-CS Encore, AV-1RS Build***
« Reply #79 on: 26 Mar 2013, 09:09 pm »
 Hi all, the second set in this thread is for sale here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=115384.new#new