Recommended service contact Boston are for Luxman

maverick74

Recommended service contact Boston are for Luxman
« on: 9 Feb 2019, 04:25 pm »
Hello all. I am not certain if this is the correct place for this question...
Can anyone recommend a service shop in the Boston area for a Luxman unit? I have an L-505U integrated that I would like to have serviced. Nothing wrong with it....I am simply looking for someone to look it over and recommend if anything is needed. Thank you!

**also where does this question belong on the site? :)

RPM123

Re: Recommended service contact Boston are for Luxman
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2019, 06:05 pm »
If there is "nothing wrong with it", then why do you feel that it needs to be looked at?

maverick74

« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2019, 06:18 pm »
Well I have frequently read that many owners of their equipment have intermittently had their equipment proactively evaluated. I am not sure if, by use of your quotation marks, you are drawing skepticism of my inquiry. Forgive me if I am not as seasoned as you might be. Thanks for replying but you did not answer my question.

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2019, 07:05 pm »
Did you check Luxman's website? They typically list authorized dealers as well as service centers.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2019, 08:03 pm »
If the unit is less than 20 years old, the electronics are not likely to have changed value much.  Old gear need caps and occasionally resistors, but new stuff should be bullet proof. 

thorman

« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2019, 09:41 pm »
Wiktor Amps of Waltham ......Victor is a great guy. Very talented and specializes in Vintage gear. I just had my Marantz 2265 done...Very nice work.......

Victor is located at the Telephone Museum in Waltham...

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2019, 02:08 am »
I moved this to All Solid State although it could just as well gone into the Vintage section.
I suppose a check up couldn't hurt, it looks to be a beautiful piece of gear.

RDavidson

« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2019, 04:17 am »
The Luxman L505U isn't vintage, but any respectable tech should be able to check for components like caps, resistors, diodes, etc for problems. I doubt anything more is needed than the check-up the OP is looking for.

john1970

« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2019, 12:01 pm »
Audio Video Therapy in Nashua NH is an authorized Luxman dealer.  Plus the owner, John Rein, is a great guy.  He could probably arrange sending the unit back to Luxman for service.

http://www.avtherapy.net

Good luck,

John

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2019, 07:27 pm »
Paul Hovenga of many moons audio.  Reasonable.  Quality.  Also will offer mods where needed if desired.  His recommendations always spot on.

Paul79 here on audio circle.

maverick74

« Reply #10 on: 18 Feb 2019, 12:52 am »
Much thanks to you all who responded with helpful guidance to have my Luxman evaluated. I will reach out to Victor in Waltham as it is closest to my home. Thanks again!

maverick74

« Reply #11 on: 8 Mar 2019, 12:06 am »
Thorman...thank you for the referral to Victor at Wiktor Amps in Waltham MA. He checked the unit and cleaned it and says all is well. I appreciate the referral. Vic is a terrific, honest and extremely knowledgable guy. Thanks! tony

thorman

« Reply #12 on: 8 Mar 2019, 01:15 am »
You bet Tony ..........Victor is an awesome/talented guy and I am very happy he location is also close to me............