"Your player was not found." (SB3 - Version 3 SqueezeBox)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
I returned today from a one week vacation. Just before I left I thought it would be a good idea to unplug all of my electronic gear. Normally, my gear is turned on 24/7.
Now, when I fire up SlimServer (6.5.4) on the PC, It tells me:

"Your player was not found."

When I press the power button on the SB3's remote, the message I receive on the SB3 front display is:

"Waking up SlimServer...."

then

"Connecting to SlimServer...."

Then the SB3 powers down and turns off without warning or further information.

If I press the [play] button on the remote it says:

"Problem: Can't connect to SlimServer"

I've been through the SlimServers settings at it does appear to be able to 'ping' the SB3. Although I'm not a very good networking guy, I'm not sure I'm using the word "ping" in it's correct context, but it does appear the network is working.  :scratch:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bob

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
It's possible that you had a hard IP address specified in the server settings but didn't set one on the player.  When you powered it back up, it would then potentially have obtained a different IP address. 

If you're doing a ping or can otherwise find the IP of the player and the server, make sure each one is looking for the proper other IP address.

Bryan

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
 :scratch: Ok Bryan, thanks.
I'll play with that. But you need to remember who you're talking to.   :oops:

Bob - networking dumbass

bpape

• Industry Participant
Well - if you successfully pinged the player, the ping will tell you what the IP address is.  Short of that, you can look at the player info page on the unit itself and it will tell you the IP address. 

On the server, you should be able to go do a DOS prompt.  From there type:

IPCONFIG /ALL

One of the things it will tell you is the IP address of your music server PC. 

When doing the network setup of the SB, one of the steps is to select your server.  It will show you the IP address of the server it's trying to find.

Bryan

chadh

I deal with this kind of thing often.  For example, if my PC reboots because of a microsoft software update, my SB2 will be lost somehow.  It doesn't seem to be a problem with IP addresses or anything. 

All I do is to STOP and then EXIT slimserver/squeezecenter and then start the software up again.  For some reason, this seems to allow the PC to find the SB2.  I'm not sure why, but I suspect that McAfee is responsible for disallowing the connection when the PC reboots.  The process is easier with slimserver, as there is an explicit "STOP" option, as distinct from the "EXIT" option.  Now I've installed squeezecenter things are a little more difficult.  I have to stop squeezecenter in the task manager before I exit the task bar application.

Chad

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
All I do is to STOP and then EXIT slimserver/squeezecenter and then start the software up again. 
I've seen this before with other programs, but didn't think of it regarding the SB.
I gave it a shot, to no avail. Thanks Chad.  :thumb:

.....you can look at the player info page on the unit itself and it will tell you the IP address......
On the server, you should be able to go do a DOS prompt. 
Ok, cool. I tried both and get two totally different addresses. But which one is correct, and where do I type the correct one in?

Thanks guys.

Bob

bpape

• Industry Participant
They should be 2 different IP addresses.  1 on the server is the address for the server.  The one on the SB is it's own IP.  Now you just need to tell the SB during the network setup to use the IP of the server. 

Bryan

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
On the PC in "Network Connections" I find an address of 192.168.0.1

By holding the power button on the remote for several seconds I can access the SB setup screens. I assume this is where I need to change the address? I entered the above address manually in the SB using the remote control on the screen that says:
SqueezeBox Setup (4 of 4)
Connect to 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1)

Doesn't work.
Am I in the right area?

Bob :scratch:

bpape

• Industry Participant
You sure it's 192.168.0.1?  Usually, the modem/router/etc. will be 192.168.1.1 and the PC's will be 192.168.1.100, 101, 102, etc.

Did you do the DOS command I gave you?  That's your real IP address for the server.

Bryan
« Last Edit: 5 Aug 2008, 05:03 pm by bpape »

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Bob,

Sometimes the router just needs refreshing.  Turn the router off for a minute and turn it back on.  Then retry.  I know it's a low tech method, but it usually works for me.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
Re: "Your player was not found." (SB3 - Version 3 SqueezeBox)
« Reply #10 on: 5 Aug 2008, 04:40 pm »
Did you do the DOS command I gave you?  That's your real IP address for the server.
AHHHH, That's probably where I messed up. Can't remember where I got the address I've been entering in the unit. The more I dug around, the more addresses I found. It appears I entered the wrong one.
I'm at work now, I'll check tonight.
But I AM in the right place to enter the address? Right?? {via the SB3's remote}

Sometimes the router just needs refreshing.  Turn the router off for a minute and turn it back on.  Then retry.  I know it's a low tech method, but it usually works for me.
:lol: Amen brother. I tried that too. Actually unplugged it for and hour or so. No difference.

Bob

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 5 Aug 2008, 05:03 pm »
Yes - in the setup of the SB3 is where you tell it to use what IP/Name for the music server.

That said, that's only one side of it. The other is for the server to see the player.  One thing at a time though.

Bryan

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 5 Aug 2008, 05:43 pm »
Good deal Bryan. I'll get back with ya' tonight.

jaywills

« Reply #13 on: 5 Aug 2008, 05:46 pm »
Something you might try:  

When you get to the "Connect to" portion of the Squeezebox setup on the unit itself, try the "up" or "down" button on the remote control to see if there are any alternatives offered for your unit to connect to.  If so, try them sequentially, one at a time, until your unit connects with your network (assuming that Squeezecenter is running).  

I've had a problem similar to yours that arises when there's been a power interruption that has been resolved in this way.  For some reason, my setup generates a new "connect to" choice when that happens.  Good luck.  Cordially,

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 5 Aug 2008, 06:14 pm »
Yea, I saw those other options, so I know what you're refering to. I'm hesitant to play with them for fear of screwing it up and making things worse. I fear I've already made things harder than they should have been by entering the wrong number in the wrong place. My track record with networking isn't good.  :lol: :roll:
Worst case senario, as things currently stand, I might be ablw to bait Bryan with a cold beverage or two and have him come over and fix it for me. If I diddle where I don't belong I'm afraid he'll wash his hands of me.  :wink:

Bob

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 5 Aug 2008, 06:59 pm »
I've had dirty hands before Bob  :wink:

If we can't get it going, I'll be happy to drop over and we'll see what kind of damage we can do. 

Bryan

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 5 Aug 2008, 07:12 pm »
Cool! :thumb:
I have hammers too. Just in case.
If things get real nasty, I've got a pneumatic hammer we can use.

Nothing better than beer and power tools to fix a PC problem.  aa

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 6 Aug 2008, 03:31 am »
You sure it's 192.168.0.1?  Usually, the modem/router/etc. will be 192.168.1.1 and the PC's will be 192.168.1.100, 101, 102, etc.

Yes, the IP address found on the DOS 'IPCONFIG/ALL' shows 192.168.0.1
For "non three digit numbers", the SB wants zeros inserted before the "real" numbers. So I told it: 192.168.000.001

Extra Notes:
-- The sublet mask is; 255.255.255.0
-- The default gateway is left blank
-- Every few minutes, Windows gives me an error message: "There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network" with the yellow exclamation point in the task bar. But when I click on it (right or left click doesn't matter), the message goes away along with the yellow exclamation point. It won't "guide or assist" me in any way. It just wants to whine at me.

Bob

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #18 on: 6 Aug 2008, 12:12 pm »
Cool! :thumb:
I have hammers too. Just in case.
If things get real nasty, I've got a pneumatic hammer we can use.

Nothing better than beer and power tools to fix a PC problem.  aa

Bob

Does your sledge hammer come with a handler too?  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I haven't bothered with wireless for so long I am not sure.  Would purging the current Slimserver and reinstalling a new version help?

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 6 Aug 2008, 12:25 pm »
OK.  So what is the IP address of the SB3?  Do you have any other computers in the house or just this one and the SB3? 

Bryan