Audiocom Clock Module

audioengr

Audiocom Clock Module
« on: 25 Aug 2003, 04:15 pm »
I was curious as to whether these improved clock modules would have much effect on my modded Perpetual Technologies P-3A DAC, so I tried one.  Reference Audio Mods was having a closeout on them at $99.  It fits very neatly inside the P-3A and appears to draw small enough current that the custom power supply that I made is sufficient.  Not certain that the standard wall-wart would be sufficient though.  Need to try this yet.

They are definitely an improvement.  The image focus and realism is just that much better.  Detail rendering is improved and there is even more "separateness" of instruments and vocalists.  On the Allison Kraus live album she sings duets in several tracks.  You can easily follow either of the singers that are simultaneously singing.

Unfortunately, there are just a few of these left, replaced by the "Superclock".

audiojerry

Audiocom Clock Module
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2003, 04:24 pm »
Have you ever compared the 'clocking' ability of the P-3A to the 'reclocking' performed by the P-1A? Using just the stock wall warts,
I felt the P-1A added no positive benefit to the d/a conversion. But when I added the much better Monolithic power supply, both the P-1A and P-3A improved significantly, and P-1A resulted in a positive gain to the overall sound.

audioengr

Audiocom Clock Module
« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2003, 05:40 pm »
I have compared the modded P-3A to the P1/P3 combo with a P3 improved power supply.  I didn't have an improved P1 power supply.  The P1/P3 combo just never did it for me.  Too rolled-off sounding.  I doubt if a better power supply wouldl make much difference.  Maybe a modded P!.  The P1 also causes a lot of digital noise in the audio.

OBF

Audiocom Clock Module
« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2003, 07:39 pm »
Audioengr,

Do you think this clock would benefit the Sony 7000 or 7700s?  Or maybe a better question would be if you think it would worthwile on a tight budget compared to other upgrades?

audioengr

Audiocom Clock Module
« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2003, 09:09 pm »
Do you think this clock would benefit the Sony 7000 or 7700s? Or maybe a better question would be if you think it would worthwile on a tight budget compared to other upgrades?

Hard to say.  I know it makes a big difference in the DAC's.  I suppose I will have to put one in one of my 7700's to find out. Unfortunately, it is almost a $300 experiment, not to mention the hassles of getting it into a very tight board with shielding over it.  Probably have to run a mini-coax from off the board.

The other mods make a HUGE difference.  If it does help, the improvement will probably not be as dramatic as the other mods.

rcrump

Audiocom Clock Module
« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2003, 10:04 pm »
A number of years ago I did the power supply mods to a CEC TL2 transport and shipped it off to Tony DiGiovive of G&D Transforms and they put in their clock and output stage....The unit came back for a listen and the polite little transport had become a firebreather.....A great clock is paramount for digital quality.....

Ears

Audiocom Clock Module
« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2003, 11:01 pm »
The superclock 2 is said to be twice the improvement of the original.
Most likely because it is chock full of Blackgates.

Rocket

g&d clocks
« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2003, 12:49 am »
hi bob,

i live in perth western australia and amazingly these clocks have even made it here.

i have an entry level pioneer cdp with g&d clock installed and it is a stellar performer.  i recently tried to contact tony but he never returned my email :).

do you know if he is still making clocks?

audioengr,

have you thought about using g&d clocks or the guido tent clocks they are relatively inexpensive.

regards

rocket

audioengr

Audiocom Clock Module
« Reply #8 on: 30 Aug 2003, 05:32 pm »
Rocket - I have heard of the Tent clocks, but not the other you mention.  Do you have sources, websites?

Ferdi

Audiocom Clock Module
« Reply #9 on: 30 Aug 2003, 08:34 pm »
not sure anyone is interested but I have a Tent Clock in my Sony CDP. Very good!. I have not used the SPDIF improvement circuitry.

Ferdi

Jay S

Audiocom Clock Module
« Reply #10 on: 31 Aug 2003, 02:48 am »
Here's some info on the Tent clock:

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/accessories/cd_xo_clock.html

Let me know what you guys think.  I've been wondering about this for a while, esp since Brian Cherry's shop is not far from me.

audioengr

Audiocom Clock Module
« Reply #11 on: 18 Sep 2003, 02:05 am »
Ears wrote:
The superclock 2 is said to be twice the improvement of the original.
Most likely because it is chock full of Blackgates

Not really.  I have tried the Superclock and the Superclock2 now.  The Superclock actually has more black gate caps on it.  The S2 is definitely a bit better, but also a lot costlier.  I will be taking a P-3A to play at CES with S2 in it.  The Superclock is a great value, but is discontinued.  I only have one left for a P-3A for one customer.

With the S2, a harpsichord piece that I have sounds really live.  Not so with the Superclock.  With other material, the difference is more subtle.