Things that go bump in the right

Don_S

Things that go bump in the right
« on: 27 Sep 2022, 07:38 pm »
When I turn right either while moving or from a standing stop I hear a noise from my right rear wheel. My car is a 2004 Highlander FRONT wheel drive with only 59,000 miles. There is not much in the rear to go wrong.

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

mcgsxr

Re: Things that go bump in the right
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2022, 08:22 pm »
Wheel bearing is the first thing that comes to mind.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2022, 08:32 pm »
Constant velocity joint is what is called.  It's the flex joint on the end of the drive shaft.  Proceed directly to a place of repair. Some drive this way for a while and some come apart and slap around inflicting more damage.

Can be done by owner if handy or a shop.

Alan.

I e

sandbagger

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2022, 09:39 pm »
no cv joint since its FWD
looking at the diagram, you have all kinds of possible noise makers. good news is none of them are ball joints
My guess is its going to be 7 but 2 and 3 are possible along with the top of the strut mount 16
a good independent mechanic should be able to find it easy enough

aldcoll

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2022, 10:37 pm »

Having issues with a whole front end.  But I do belive FWD  Front Wheel or 4 wheel that lieele gray out thing om the left of picture is a cv shaft.  They flex on both ends.  Usually if one looks under the car the rubber boot is ripped and the grease is distributed around the area.

My T o y search was 2.4L front wheel drive 2004.

Alan

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2022, 10:40 pm »
Scott Kilmer addressed it but I dont have the specific link.
Seems to be a gap in a suspension moving part.
https://www.youtube.com/c/ScottyKilmermechanic/videos

Don_S

« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2022, 10:48 pm »
Thanks for the info. I had previously peeked under the back of my car and did not see any boots or anything that had grease on it. Does that mean a boot is missing? I am thinking back to the half-axles on my old Subaru front drive only. I had nothing but problems with the half axles.

I do have an inquiry in to the nearest repair shop I trust for something like this.

aldcoll

« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2022, 10:55 pm »
I had a Honda accord I put 5 or 6 in.  I could do it in less then 30 minutes before I sold it.  I would go and get it looked at.  I do know of a couple folks that waited to long.

Alan

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2022, 11:00 pm »
If you push down the right rear side does the problem happen ?

sandbagger

« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2022, 11:03 pm »
people really cant read anymore can they  :duh:

He said its FRONT wheel drive and the noise comes from the REAR
There are no CV or half shafts in the rear

aldcoll

« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2022, 11:17 pm »
I realize he said rear noise.  And yet the sound he mentioned sounded like a cv.

So here is the test.  Go to a parking lot that is quiet.  Roll down windows or take a friend.  Drive in a circle first right or left.  Does that make a difference?  Can observer make it out?  On the rear are some brake parts.  Is a shoe loose or worse?  Or take it to a shop. 

Alan

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2022, 11:21 pm »
people really cant read anymore can they  :duh:

He said its FRONT wheel drive and the noise comes from the REAR
There are no CV or half shafts in the rear
The noise is coming from the rear of the vehicle but you are saying the problem is in the front. Misinformation.

aldcoll

« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2022, 11:45 pm »
As we all know sound bounces around.  Drive close to a wall and who know where it comming from.  Diagnosis via email is tricky and who knows.  If it really is a rear noise with 2 moving parts plus bearings they will be warm.  Just offering my limited help and now so sorry I tried to help.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 27 Sep 2022, 11:57 pm »
Don are asking help why repair shop charges are not cheap.
Could be interesting remove the tire in question and look around.

aldcoll

« Reply #14 on: 28 Sep 2022, 12:40 am »
Thanks for the info. I had previously peeked under the back of my car and did not see any boots or anything that had grease on it. Does that mean a boot is missing? I am thinking back to the half-axles on my old Subaru front drive only. I had nothing but problems with the half axles.

I do have an inquiry in to the nearest repair shop I trust for something like this.

Look at the front axles etc.  Stop at any shop and get their opinions along as they don't have a fee to peek.

Its real common for. Heat shield in the exhaust to come loose and RATTLE.  A unique sound to its self.

richidoo

« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2022, 05:34 pm »
Do what the mechanic will do: Jack up the right rear tire off the ground. Apply jack stand for safety. Do not put any part of your body under the car without jack stand in place. Do not rely on the jack alone.

With parking brake off, spin the tire and listen for sounds like grinding, or rough feeling. That is wheel bearing. But it is often silent until there is speed, heat or heavy load so you may not hear a bad bearing. Bearing is usually a whining groaning din sound, not an occasional clunk. An automotive stethoscope applied to the wheel hub near the bearing will make hearing bad bearing very easy.

Try to wiggle the tire right and left, with hands at 3 and 9. Listen and feel for movement, clicks, thumps, sounds.
Repeat the wiggle up and down, hands at 12 and 6. This will reveal clunking due to suspension wear, like rubber bushings. A very bad wheel bearing will wobble here also, but it would have to be really bad.

Optional: remove the wheel and visually inspect everything. Age will cause dry rot on the rubber bushings. The twisting moment applied to the axle when you turn will make the worn rubber parts clunk. Also, jiggle the antirollbar up and down to check the end links for movement.
Good luck

Yatsushiro

« Reply #16 on: 29 Sep 2022, 10:15 am »
Do what the mechanic will do: Jack up the right rear tire off the ground. Apply jack stand for safety. Do not put any part of your body under the car without jack stand in place. Do not rely on the jack alone.

With parking brake off, spin the tire and listen for sounds like grinding, or rough feeling. That is wheel bearing. But it is often silent until there is speed, heat or heavy load so you may not hear a bad bearing. Bearing is usually a whining groaning din sound, not an occasional clunk. An automotive stethoscope applied to the wheel hub near the bearing will make hearing bad bearing very easy.

Try to wiggle the tire right and left, with hands at 3 and 9. Listen and feel for movement, clicks, thumps, sounds.
Repeat the wiggle up and down, hands at 12 and 6. This will reveal clunking due to suspension wear, like rubber bushings. A very bad wheel bearing will wobble here also, but it would have to be really bad.

Optional: remove the wheel and visually inspect everything. Age will cause dry rot on the rubber bushings. The twisting moment applied to the axle when you turn will make the worn rubber parts clunk. Also, jiggle the antirollbar up and down to check the end links for movement.
Good luck

A well informed, structured answer.

But, before you do any of that, make sure your wheelnuts (lug nuts?) are properly tightened.

Don_S

« Reply #17 on: 22 Oct 2022, 10:33 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions. Two different mechanics at two different shops could not find any problem. Both used a lift to raise the car. One took the wheel off and one did not. Bearings and brakes are fine. Best guess was the strut.  :dunno:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 22 Oct 2022, 11:17 pm »
It could be noise from the rear shock or its spring.