Best sounding CD version of Machine Head

Huck

Best sounding CD version of Machine Head
« on: 21 Jun 2022, 11:15 am »
Hi:
 Just heard a streamed version (AMZ) of Machine Head by Deep Purple,so now I would like to compare the best sounding CD version...what is your opinion on this? Thanks! :popcorn:

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
Re: Best sounding CD version of Machine Head
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2022, 12:01 pm »
The Steve Hoffman mastered Audio Fidelity gold disc.

Huck

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2022, 12:12 pm »
Thanks for the reply.I was also looking at EMI Holland label,catalogue number 7 46242 2 which has higher DR numbers which in my experience does not equate to good sound,but I may try that one,as not many AF versions available from what I have found-searched.Thanks

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2022, 12:30 pm »
I was fortunate to pick one up when it was released. Yeah now they're going to be kinda hard to find but if you can it sounds amazing.

Huck

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2022, 12:34 pm »
I bought a used 7 46242 2 EMI label from Discogs,so hopefully the sound will be OK.
I will keep a lookout for the AF Gold version also.Thanks,Huck

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2022, 01:12 pm »
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/WPCR-14166?s_ssid=e41f9562b1c1a7baa0

This is the best sounding version, it has bonus track "When A Blind Man Cries" and has two audio layers, one for SACD players and the other for regular CD players.

Huck

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2022, 03:48 pm »
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/WPCR-14166?s_ssid=e41f9562b1c1a7baa0

This is the best sounding version, it has bonus track "When A Blind Man Cries" and has two audio layers, one for SACD players and the other for regular CD players.
Thanks!Huck

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2022, 04:11 pm »
Thanks!Huck

You welcome Huck.In the past I have had three versions of this cd and this one is the best so far.I hope, one day Japan will release "Deep Purple In Rock" with "Black Night" as a bonus track.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2022, 04:25 pm »

You welcome Huck.In the past I have had three versions of this cd and this one is the best so far.I hope, one day Japan will release "Deep Purple In Rock" with "Black Night" as a bonus track.

Have you listened to the Steve Hoffman remastered Audio Fidelity CD? I can't speak for the SACD layer, but I have a hard time believing there is a redbook version out there that sounds better than the Audio Fidelity version.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2022, 04:36 pm »
Have you listened to the Steve Hoffman remastered Audio Fidelity CD? I can't speak for the SACD layer, but I have a hard time believing there is a redbook version out there that sounds better than the Audio Fidelity version.

If you talking about 1997 double cd edition, then yes, I have heard it long time ago, on different equipment though.I don't honestly remember and I did like all that extra tracks.I chose this one as a best edition for me, because it sounds good, it has my favorite bonus track and it looks very close to original.I can be very picky, when it comes to reissues, but this one perfect in my books.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2022, 04:52 pm »
No!

The 2010 remaster by Steve Hoffman himself.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2217589-Deep-Purple-Machine-Head

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2022, 04:58 pm »