No Rez and Tube connectors for X-Statik

ddobanion

No Rez and Tube connectors for X-Statik
« on: 24 May 2022, 03:33 pm »
I have a pair of AV 123 X-Statik speakers.  The factory crossovers were upgraded with the Sonicap and Mills resistor upgrade.  How much improvement would the No Rez and Tube connectors provide?

Thanks

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: No Rez and Tube connectors for X-Statik
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2022, 04:48 pm »
A little bit.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2022, 04:51 pm »
I have a pair of AV 123 X-Statik speakers.  The factory crossovers were upgraded with the Sonicap and Mills resistor upgrade.  How much improvement would the No Rez and Tube connectors provide?

Thanks

Tube connectors will improve clarity and detail up top.
NoRez will improve bass control, but removing the original stuffing is an absolute pain that is an exercise in frustration.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2022, 05:37 pm »
…removing the original stuffing is an absolute pain that is an exercise in frustration.

This!  I’ve had my AV123 X-Statiks for over 10 years now.  Updated crossovers made a huge improvement.  I looked at adding No Rez but after scraping that factory glue / liner out of other X-series speakers I balked at doing the Statiks.  It’s not easy.  You will scrape the hell out of your hands. 
I would build a brand new cabinet before doing that again!

fre11111

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2022, 10:07 pm »
I had the experience of removing the fill in an older AV123 cabinet. Its not a pleasant experience. It took days cleaning it up.

Tube Connectors should be a great upgrade. GOODLUCK👍🙂

ddobanion

« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2022, 11:42 pm »
Hmmm.  Looks like tube connectors only would be the way to go.

westly197

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2022, 01:42 am »
Tube connectors do almost nothing, and that is the point. If you connect your speaker cables directly to the crossover with no connector in the path, you will hear very near what you get with tube connectors. If you like what you hear, but want the ease  of removing the speaker cable with a nice clean connector, then tube connectors will be the next best sounding solution.

ddobanion

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jun 2022, 09:03 pm »
I get where you are coming from but how in the world would it be practical to connect the speaker wires directly to the crossovers on my X-Statiks?

fre11111

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 9 Jun 2022, 11:22 pm »
I think westly197 is trying to discredit tube connectors. One way or another you will need some sort of binding post. Tube connectors is a cheap and good option.

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2022, 01:07 pm »
I want to chime in on the no Rez part of this. I have a pair of AV123 X-Statiks that I did no rez for.  The old stuffing and glue is admittedly a pain but not insurmountable. A heat gun, and paint scraper, and some time and it can be done. It’s nearly impossible to get every bit of glue off but you can have plenty of space for no rez to attach.

I would argue the effect of no rez on the statiks as being necessary and more than worth the time and money investment. I’ve had a few pairs of Statiks over the years and have experience back when AV123 was around and now. No rez helps dramatically in the tightness of the bass on just the speakers. The natural sound of the statiks definitely improves noticeably. I put no rez on all my speakers.

Hope that helps!
Robert

ddobanion

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jun 2022, 09:38 am »
Thanks Robert.  Sounds like if I use the tools and take my time dividends will be gained.  I am consistently delighted by these speakers.  Believe it or not I use them in a nearfield set up in a small room and they sound fantastic.  Now driving them with an 8 watt tube amp to good effect.

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jun 2022, 06:55 pm »
Thanks Robert.  Sounds like if I use the tools and take my time dividends will be gained.  I am consistently delighted by these speakers.  Believe it or not I use them in a nearfield set up in a small room and they sound fantastic.  Now driving them with an 8 watt tube amp to good effect.

DEFINITELY worth the effort.  The good news is, you only have to dig that crap out of the bottom half of the speaker.  WAY easier than doing it in an X-SLS or X-MTM.  Get a good paint scraper or two, a heat gun, and some patience. lol  Patience is the key.  Most of the stuff will rip out by hand but the horrible glue they used and some residual attached deadening will be what you have to scrape off.  Get as much as you can off but don't worry if there is a tiny bit still there.  That's normal.  Good luck!

Robert

westly197

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jun 2022, 06:02 am »
I think westly197 is trying to discredit tube connectors. One way or another you will need some sort of binding post. Tube connectors is a cheap and good option.

Totally the opposite, I’m pointing out why tube connectors are great. Connections are a point that can only degrade your sound, tube connectors come as close to having a continuous wire connection as possible, which is why they are likely the best solution available.

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jun 2022, 03:00 pm »
Totally the opposite, I’m pointing out why tube connectors are great. Connections are a point that can only degrade your sound, tube connectors come as close to having a continuous wire connection as possible, which is why they are likely the best solution available.

You are 100% correct.