Wanted

fenterson

Wanted
« on: 24 Apr 2022, 04:50 pm »
Need a plastic motor pulley for a Pro-Ject 2 Xperience Classic turntable. The seller shipped it FEDEX with the label on the bottom of the box and the platter smashed the motor pulley, because neither were properly  secured. It shipped upside down. A dead motor with the PLASTIC pulley intact would also work. They want to sell me a new motor for $150. I need a pulley, not a motor.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Wanted
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2022, 09:59 pm »
Need a plastic motor pulley for a Pro-Ject 2 Xperience Classic turntable. The seller shipped it FEDEX with the label on the bottom of the box and the platter smashed the motor pulley, because neither were properly  secured. It shipped upside down. A dead motor with the PLASTIC pulley intact would also work. They want to sell me a new motor for $150. I need a pulley, not a motor.
I will move this topic to the Vinyl Circle.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2022, 03:12 am »
Make one out of wood.  Cut it to slightly oversized.  Chuck it in a drill, grind a groove in the outer edge. Try it.  If it runs too fast, grind out a bit more.   

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2022, 05:06 am »
So the person who sold/shipped a turntable wrong, wants to sell you the part from their mistake?

toocool4

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2022, 07:26 am »
Was it not insured? Even if it’s not insured, let the seller deal with the replace / repair they made the screw up. That is what I would, do.

S Clark

« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2022, 05:00 pm »
Was it not insured? Even if it’s not insured, let the seller deal with the replace / repair they made the screw up. That is what I would, do.
Was the seller a dealer or an individual?  If a dealer, you should negotiate a repair.  If from an individual, hopefully you got a good enough deal to afford a replacement motor (for which $150 is pretty cheap).

richidoo

« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2022, 10:23 pm »
Tell him youll accept the broken part replacement for free in exchange for repairing his broken TT (that he sold as good) for free. So then he doesn't have to refund you or chargeback or ebay or whatever middle man that he doesnt want involved.

I like Scotts wood pulley idea too! Try to work in some JB Weld or duct tape to make it totally cool!

toocool4

« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2022, 11:07 pm »
I will never understand why anyone buys something that arrives damaged, then they try to fix it or source the broken parts? It’s not what you ordered, send it back for a refund.
If I ordered anything and it arrives broken whether it’s the sender or the courier company’s fault, it’s not my problem.  It’s going back, can’t be dealing with that kind of headache.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2022, 11:27 pm »
If the seller won't make things right, and you cannot source a new replacement then take the broken parts to a local machine shop and ask them if they can make a replacement. They have the tools to measure motor shaft and pulley.
Pulley for your purpose needs to have the correct diameter not kinda right, to run at the correct speed and for a press fit in the center hole.
I know some tt's have speed adjustment by why not just do it correctly.
Not sure how the pulley is attached on yours, I know one of my tt's the pulley is pressed on. The machine shop can PROPERLY press a replacement on. Incorrect install of a pressed fit part could ruin the motor.

Easy part to make but usually pay a 1 hour minimum rate. Still relatively inexpensive.

S Clark

« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2022, 12:12 am »
A machine shop would probably charge almost as much as the $150 he's been quoted for a new motor and pulley.  At least then he'd have a spare motor.  I've got a TT that I got for about %70 discount because the motor spindle had been bent.  There were no real repair options and a new OEM motor was $700 + overseas shipping.  I put a Chinese motor on it and never looked back. 

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #10 on: 26 Apr 2022, 01:12 am »
You may be correct about the price. If he could purchase for $150 that would be the best solution. IF that was possible..  Although I did say most Machine shops charge an hour minimum that's what current price is here locally. Still a viable solution I believe. I made a few pulleys for similar projects and it is simple. CNC isn't needed and turning in a lathe is a 20 minute project.  Possibly less runout than an original part. If the motor functions properly I would make one for free if I had access to a lathe and tooling.
A machine shop would probably charge almost as much as the $150 he's been quoted for a new motor and pulley.  At least then he'd have a spare motor.  I've got a TT that I got for about %70 discount because the motor spindle had been bent.  There were no real repair options and a new OEM motor was $700 + overseas shipping.  I put a Chinese motor on it and never looked back. 
Glad that you could source what you needed for that motor. I purchased a Thorens tt for parts for the tt I built. Purchased a second tt for spare parts. Price was cheap. Not sure that could be done today.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #11 on: 26 Apr 2022, 02:17 am »
I will never understand why anyone buys something that arrives damaged, then they try to fix it or source the broken parts? It’s not what you ordered, send it back for a refund.
If I ordered anything and it arrives broken whether it’s the sender or the courier company’s fault, it’s not my problem.  It’s going back, can’t be dealing with that kind of headache.
+1.
Always possible file a claim at ebay, paypal or even credit card etc...
However to my surprise ebay and paypal work in joint communication in case of complaints, one will not accept open complaint if it has already been opened in the other.

S Clark

« Reply #12 on: 26 Apr 2022, 01:54 pm »
fenterson  hasn't bothered to look at responses since his original post.  Hopefully he's found a solution.