Carmen Gomes new album Ray! in 768kHz - 24bit + free download

WGH

"Up Jumped the Devil", Carmen Gomes previous album, is one of the most natural sounding recordings in my 411 GB music library. The album is an tribute to Robert Johnson: "The low A, 27.5 Hz, from the bowed down tuned double bass representing the Mississippi night, the drums creating the sounds surrounding the night and the guitar being Robert’s mind."

I like her music too and would buy her recordings if they were only available at 44.1kHz - 16 bit. Her new album "Ray!" has the potential to take the sound as close to the master tape as possible.

"The RME has a maximum sample rate of 768kHz. To really see what the RME ADI-2 is capable off, we created a 768kHz/24bit file straight from our Studer A80 tape recorder playing the ¼" reel to reel master tape from our latest release [Ray!]. Listening and A/B comparing with the Studer the result is quite convincing. In our opinion the sound is very close to the analog master tape."

The Sound Liason team has made one 768kHz track from the album available for free for a limited time period.
The only favor they ask in return, is that you give them a bit of feedback.

https://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/856-ray-carmen-gomes-inc

Sound Liason is a pioneer in using state-of-the-art equipment using one mike

"The advantages of the One Microphone approach to recording are obvious; phase coherence, perfect imaging, great sense of depth, superior realism. Another advantage is that it forces the band being recorded to really play. There is nowhere to hide, no fixing it in the mix. Our ears are much more sensitive to phase errors than we are aware of. The obvious solution to avoid phase errors is to record the whole band from one point. But until recently we didn't experienced a microphone that was up to the task. Drums and piano sounded too distant and the sound stage did not reflect what I heard standing in front of the band. The first thing that impressed me about the Josephson C700S was the natural sound of the mic and the sound off axis. This is what makes the difference between a good microphone and an average microphone. Secondly the microphone is quite unique, it has three capsules instead of the more common two.
So when recording with the Josephson C700S, instead of placing microphones at the instruments we now place the instruments around the microphone. Mixing is no longer possible. We have to create the complete sound stage at the spot by carefully moving each instrument closer or further away as well as left and right in relation to the microphone. The benefits of this way of working is that the result is completely free of phase errors and that the sound is very natural with a wide deep soundstage. So far all musicians have been struck by the incredible authenticity of the recordings and commented that they never heard their instrument sound so real and lively."
- Frans

https://www.soundliaison.com

96kHZ - 24 bit Hi-res and Redbook downloads of "Up Jumped the Devil" are also available at Bandcamp for $9.23

https://carmengomes.bandcamp.com/album/up-jumped-the-devil-discovering-the-music-of-robert-johnson-part-1-a-sound-liaison-one-mic-audiophile-recording

This is a recording by Danish audiophile label Sound Liaison One Mic + Recording using two Josephson C700A microphones. The C700A is identical to the C700S except that it has only one figure of 8 capsule. The three musicians and Carmen are in a studio recorded naturally.

PA

Carmen Gomes sells redbook CD versions as well as 44.1 flac downloads of all her Sound Liaison albums as well as the albums from her pre Sound Liaison period  on her

https://carmengomes.bandcamp.com/ site.

Phil A

Love her stuff.  My friend has the RME DAC.  I bought the 24 bit DXD version.

PA

Did you guys check the 768kHz version and compare with the DXD?

WGH

My DAC only plays 24 bit/96kHz so even though I have the 768kHz free track waiting in the wings there is no practical way to listen to it.

Phil A

I have the file downloaded.  My music server (Lumin U1) can do 768kHz but my DAC (EMM Labs DAC 2X) will only do 384kHz.  I bought the DXD.  My friend has the RME DAC that can do 768kHz but his Lumin U1 mini only can do 384kHz.  I downloaded the file just to have it (I think I have an 8x DSD file of something else somewhere as well - my music server can handle it but not my DAC).  My secondary system DAC (Teac UD-503) can do quad DSD but only 384kHz on the PCM side.  There sales director of EMM posted 6 years ago that quad DSD is in the works (https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/20602-meitner-emm-labs-firmware-upgrade-72014-sonic-bliss/page/7/#comments) but apparenntly it hasn't happened.  So I figured I'd just have the file just in case there is a firmware upgrade.

K.F.

The album is starting to get some very good reviews from the audio press.
Here is Hifi news & records review;
Just when you thought you'd heard every possible take on the songbook of Robert Johnson, from true acoustic versions to Clapton's electric tracks, up jumps singer Carmen Gomes with her own rendition. The legendary bluesman died aged just 27 in 1938, amidst all those 'sold his soul to the devil' legends, and left a catalogue of just 29 songs, so you could argue there's nothing new to hear. However, Gomes gives her selected tracks an atmospheric, mystical spin, with minimal backing, a simple mic set-up, in Sound Liaison style, and a 'straight to DXD' as-live recording approach. Her sultry voice has immediacy and intimacy, the instruments captured with real vitality, and the whole recording drips with presence and a sense of performance. I can imagine this one proving popular on the demo circuit if we ever get back to them – and that would be no bad thing. AE

"Up Jumped the Devil", Carmen Gomes previous album, is one of the most natural sounding recordings in my 411 GB music library. The album is an tribute to Robert Johnson: "The low A, 27.5 Hz, from the bowed down tuned double bass representing the Mississippi night, the drums creating the sounds surrounding the night and the guitar being Robert’s mind."

I like her music too and would buy her recordings if they were only available at 44.1kHz - 16 bit. Her new album "Ray!" has the potential to take the sound as close to the master tape as possible.

"The RME has a maximum sample rate of 768kHz. To really see what the RME ADI-2 is capable off, we created a 768kHz/24bit file straight from our Studer A80 tape recorder playing the ¼" reel to reel master tape from our latest release [Ray!]. Listening and A/B comparing with the Studer the result is quite convincing. In our opinion the sound is very close to the analog master tape."

The Sound Liason team has made one 768kHz track from the album available for free for a limited time period.
The only favor they ask in return, is that you give them a bit of feedback.

https://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/856-ray-carmen-gomes-inc

Sound Liason is a pioneer in using state-of-the-art equipment using one mike

"The advantages of the One Microphone approach to recording are obvious; phase coherence, perfect imaging, great sense of depth, superior realism. Another advantage is that it forces the band being recorded to really play. There is nowhere to hide, no fixing it in the mix. Our ears are much more sensitive to phase errors than we are aware of. The obvious solution to avoid phase errors is to record the whole band from one point. But until recently we didn't experienced a microphone that was up to the task. Drums and piano sounded too distant and the sound stage did not reflect what I heard standing in front of the band. The first thing that impressed me about the Josephson C700S was the natural sound of the mic and the sound off axis. This is what makes the difference between a good microphone and an average microphone. Secondly the microphone is quite unique, it has three capsules instead of the more common two.
So when recording with the Josephson C700S, instead of placing microphones at the instruments we now place the instruments around the microphone. Mixing is no longer possible. We have to create the complete sound stage at the spot by carefully moving each instrument closer or further away as well as left and right in relation to the microphone. The benefits of this way of working is that the result is completely free of phase errors and that the sound is very natural with a wide deep soundstage. So far all musicians have been struck by the incredible authenticity of the recordings and commented that they never heard their instrument sound so real and lively."
- Frans

https://www.soundliaison.com

96kHZ - 24 bit Hi-res and Redbook downloads of "Up Jumped the Devil" are also available at Bandcamp for $9.23

https://carmengomes.bandcamp.com/album/up-jumped-the-devil-discovering-the-music-of-robert-johnson-part-1-a-sound-liaison-one-mic-audiophile-recording

This is a recording by Danish audiophile label Sound Liaison One Mic + Recording using two Josephson C700A microphones. The C700A is identical to the C700S except that it has only one figure of 8 capsule. The three musicians and Carmen are in a studio recorded naturally.

miamikash

Loved her blues album(up with devil), have to look this one up. If only apple music had a google search   :scratch:

K.F.

Check the video from the 'Don't You Cry' Session; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQtwN4zO8is