Treat the wall behind an OB speaker?

Hollis Prince

Treat the wall behind an OB speaker?
« on: 26 Jul 2021, 11:56 am »
So I've just finished my X-Statik build this past weekend and I'm really enjoying my listening experience. I have them 39" from the wall, and I think they sound absolutely phenomenal. They are in my living room, a large room with 10' ceilings. The living room and kitchen is one big giant room.

Anyways, as soon as I can afford a new TV, I'm going to move everything upstairs into my music room (I'm a musician too) and turn the room into a "home theater" room.

So should I treat the wall behind the X-Statiks? I don't notice any smearing or anything. Is this a common practice with OB speakers?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Treat the wall behind an OB speaker?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2021, 08:16 pm »
I prefer a quiet room to a lively one, so I tend to treat the front half of the room with more absorption, and then using diffusion or bare walls in rear areas.

Badd99

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2021, 08:38 pm »
While I don't have my nx otica built yet, I have full front wall and side wall qrd (the real stuff) diffusion. It made a TREMENDOUS improvement to my current speakers even though they were 4.5ft from the front wall to begin with.

Common design is diffusion front and back wall (front wall the most important) and absorption on side walls and ceiling. I however like side wall diffusers more as my room seems significantly bigger with it and it's just pure awesome.

Vince in TX

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2021, 08:47 pm »
I prefer a quiet room to a lively one, so I tend to treat the front half of the room with more absorption, and then using diffusion or bare walls in rear areas.

This is exactly what I'm doing to my theater room.   I just ordered six 24"x24"x6" corner bass traps and three 48"x12"x2" to go right behind the front channel speakers.   I already have six 24"x48"x3" for the side walls.  Back of the room is oddly shaped, so it already has some diffusive properties, although I may treat the top corners at some point.

Badd99

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2021, 12:01 pm »
This is exactly what I'm doing to my theater room.   I just ordered six 24"x24"x6" corner bass traps and three 48"x12"x2" to go right behind the front channel speakers.   I already have six 24"x48"x3" for the side walls.  Back of the room is oddly shaped, so it already has some diffusive properties, although I may treat the top corners at some point.

Are you SURE you like a deader room? Have you ever heard real qrd diffusion? Not that cheap fake pseudo diffusion. Makes a stupid difference. Way way way better than all that absorption imo.

Absorb low frequency which is what is needed. Diffuse the rest imho.

Vince in TX

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2021, 12:28 pm »
Are you SURE you like a deader room? Have you ever heard real qrd diffusion? Not that cheap fake pseudo diffusion. Makes a stupid difference. Way way way better than all that absorption imo.

Absorb low frequency which is what is needed. Diffuse the rest imho.

With eleven speakers and two servo subs (quad 12" drivers) in a 15'x21' room, controlling primary and secondary reflection and LF is my primary goal at the moment.    I got a phone call a couple of weeks ago while watching a movie, and when I paused where the room was quiet I could clearly hear my voice reflecting off the front and side walls (nothing treated yet).   Now I have six 24"x48"x3" mineral wool panels on the side walls.  I have six 24"x24"x6" mineral wool corner pieces for the front and three 12"x48"x2" for behind the front channel speakers on order.   I'm still debating on where to place diffusion panels (either front or back).   Just hitting the primary reflection points on the side walls already made a difference.   I'm still new at this, so I'm sure mistakes will be made.    :)

Badd99

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2021, 04:39 pm »
With eleven speakers and two servo subs (quad 12" drivers) in a 15'x21' room, controlling primary and secondary reflection and LF is my primary goal at the moment.    I got a phone call a couple of weeks ago while watching a movie, and when I paused where the room was quiet I could clearly hear my voice reflecting off the front and side walls (nothing treated yet).   Now I have six 24"x48"x3" mineral wool panels on the side walls.  I have six 24"x24"x6" mineral wool corner pieces for the front and three 12"x48"x2" for behind the front channel speakers on order.   I'm still debating on where to place diffusion panels (either front or back).   Just hitting the primary reflection points on the side walls already made a difference.   I'm still new at this, so I'm sure mistakes will be made.    :)

Full front wall qrd diffusion will make a huge difference. It's like pulling your speakers out 10ft when in reality you have them 4ft. Really helps with soundstage depth and width. Back wall also is very important, but only if your listening position is within say 8ft from it. Diffusion is expensive, much more than absorption. Check out Dennis folley from accoustic fields on YouTube for help. He also sells pdf plans for qrd diffusers that aren't hard to make. Save a lot of money.

RonP

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2021, 05:03 pm »
I bought some diffusers from PI Audio. They were not expensive. 4 panels for about $225 I think.

https://piaudiogroup.com/

(scroll to the bottom)

subsonic1050

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2021, 05:09 pm »
Hey Hollis - glad to hear you're loving your x-statik's. How much break in do you have on them? Did you notice much of a shift during break in?

FWIW I have full QRD on my front and back walls, and absorption on the side walls and ceiling. Sounds magnificent with my Magnepans, which are obviously dipole.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jul 2021, 09:54 pm »
Hey Hollis - glad to hear you're loving your x-statik's. How much break in do you have on them? Did you notice much of a shift during break in?

FWIW I have full QRD on my front and back walls, and absorption on the side walls and ceiling. Sounds magnificent with my Magnepans, which are obviously dipole.

Same here.....
QRD on front wall, tri traps on front corners, bass traps front corners and absorption on ceiling and side
first reflection points.

I've had a few different O.B. type speakers in the room...V1, Super V, PAP trio, X-Statik and some full range
on baffles....and it works exceptionally well...
The V1s in the room below

I've also tried my Selah Arrays....used for fronts on my HT.....and the QRD didnt seem to work as well....but thats what
I had expected...

Vince in TX

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jul 2021, 09:59 pm »
Full front wall qrd diffusion will make a huge difference. It's like pulling your speakers out 10ft when in reality you have them 4ft. Really helps with soundstage depth and width. Back wall also is very important, but only if your listening position is within say 8ft from it. Diffusion is expensive, much more than absorption. Check out Dennis folley from accoustic fields on YouTube for help. He also sells pdf plans for qrd diffusers that aren't hard to make. Save a lot of money.

I've been reading a bit more on this, and I think I'm going to use QRD on the primary reflection points.   I may also use it behind the center channel.  Thanks for the tip!    :thumb:

Hollis Prince

« Reply #11 on: 1 Aug 2021, 01:34 am »

I've been using my X-Statiks for a couple of weeks now, mostly at moderate to low volume as 2-channel HT, just for like watching TV, live concerts, etc. When the family isn't around I'll crank it up a bit.
If there was any break in, it wasn't noticeable after the first day or two.
They do sound really good, really effortless even high volumes. They're super articulate and detailed, but not fatiguing at all. The more I listen, the more I want to keep turning 'em up.

Badd99

« Reply #12 on: 1 Aug 2021, 11:04 pm »
I've been reading a bit more on this, and I think I'm going to use QRD on the primary reflection points.   I may also use it behind the center channel.  Thanks for the tip!    :thumb:

Glad to help. I also do this - I have 3 qrd-7 on the front wall and 3 qrd-7 on the left wall and 2 qrd-7's on the right wall for primary reflections (I bought 8, didn't know layout then so they are not equal, but that third one on the left is behind the speakers so its not a true reflection point.)

I then have full corner bass traps. Love this setup and sound. I have thick carpet and pad for floor absorption. I have absorption right above the speakers as well.