Re: Nxtreme speaker build videos
« Reply #20 on: 2 May 2021, 01:51 am »
I used about 8 oz. on mine.

Thanks.

Captainhemo

« Reply #21 on: 2 May 2021, 09:02 pm »
Hey Jason

I'd guess 8 oz is going to be plenty but never hurts to have  some extra  on hand... you  don't  want the glue gushing out all over the place.  When you glue  the  braces in the dado's, a bead right down the center of the dado is all you  need, same with dado's on rear of  baffle. In the 10 degree rabbet on rear of baffle, you want a nice even covering, run a decent bead down the inner corner then use a small brush to even it out.

I'd have never have painted these first  but that is just me...  joints,  glue lines  etc all need to be dealt with before painting in my opinion.

With regards to  the video,   we dry fit those on the bench and there was no gaps so you've got some thing  "kicked " or too much clamping  force.   The wings need to be pulled forward into the  rabbet slightly,  you  will not  accomplish this  using clamps from the  rear of brace to   front  of baffle, it will only pull the  brace forward... you  need to cut a scrap  chunk of wood or something  to  reach across the back of the wings, then you can gently pull from the  scrap  wood to the  front baffle through a woofer hole, multiple woofer holes is better.

We also like to use small  6"  quick clamps  from inner  woofer cutouts to front edge of wings to squeeze them against  the baffle rabbet, but not too tight as it can press the wings out,

jay

speshal

« Reply #22 on: 5 May 2021, 04:36 pm »
Hey Jason

I'd guess 8 oz is going to be plenty but never hurts to have  some extra  on hand... you  don't  want the glue gushing out all over the place.  When you glue  the  braces in the dado's, a bead right down the center of the dado is all you  need, same with dado's on rear of  baffle. In the 10 degree rabbet on rear of baffle, you want a nice even covering, run a decent bead down the inner corner then use a small brush to even it out.

I'd have never have painted these first  but that is just me...  joints,  glue lines  etc all need to be dealt with before painting in my opinion.

With regards to  the video,   we dry fit those on the bench and there was no gaps so you've got some thing  "kicked " or too much clamping  force.   The wings need to be pulled forward into the  rabbet slightly,  you  will not  accomplish this  using clamps from the  rear of brace to   front  of baffle, it will only pull the  brace forward... you  need to cut a scrap  chunk of wood or something  to  reach across the back of the wings, then you can gently pull from the  scrap  wood to the  front baffle through a woofer hole, multiple woofer holes is better.

We also like to use small  6"  quick clamps  from inner  woofer cutouts to front edge of wings to squeeze them against  the baffle rabbet, but not too tight as it can press the wings out,

jay

Thanks for the tips.  I did a test glue on the shipping damage panels just to get a feel for amount and drying time.  Then, I did my first actual glue last night of the left speaker.

I think everything went well with minor challenges from the clamps and glue brush shedding.  I'll have videos soon.

I know you guys do the dry fit, but I was referring to the fact that the replacement panels were sent separately from the original braces, so everything still dry fitting with the legacy braces was impressive.

In hindsight, I might have chosen to paint after... especially if I wanted a car quality paint finish, but I gained a few advantages painting first.

1.  Putting multiple coats on small pieces and examining quality was much easier than with a 7 foot tall cabinet and limited access to the braces... top and bottom.

2.  I had to assemble these in my room because they are so large and riskier to carry upstairs (especially me solo).  Thus, I really couldn't paint something that big in a small room after construction.

3.  Choosing Duratex was more conducive to painting before construction because there's no way to get that roller and pattern to the edges of things like the braces once it's assembled.  I would have had to use something other than Duratex on the braces, but since they are visible from the rear  I tried to keep everything consistent.

Definitely a pro woodworker and painter would breeze through this much easier and have more clamps/tools/space.  However, I'm proving that even a total noob can do it. 

Thanks again for the help.

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #23 on: 5 May 2021, 11:13 pm »
Great work Speshal. Welcome to the newb brigade. Sanding, sanding and more sanding help with that car finish.  :lol:

Keep up the great work.
SC

speshal

« Reply #24 on: 7 May 2021, 02:11 pm »
I have two update videos since I last posted.

One was just some practice I did on panels that had shipping damage, but the latest video shows me glueing and assembling everything.

Overall, it came out pretty good, and I'm happy with the results.  Thanks for all the tips which definitely paid off.

I did learn a few things (mainly with tools) that may help others novices like myself.

Of course, if there's any other feedback, I welcome the advice before doing the second speaker.  Thanks again for the help!

https://youtu.be/djx4HpG6fQ0

speshal

« Reply #25 on: 16 May 2021, 02:06 pm »
For those interested, I finished glueing and touching up the NXtremes.

I'm finished painting with Duratex, but considering doing something cool with the solid wings (maybe ghost flames). 

The wings are huge and angled in a way that I think they lend themselves to creativity much like lines on a car.

The textured white Duratex does give a cool stone obelisk vibe when viewing in-room, but any speaker with "extreme" in the name might need even more.

Thanks again to those who helped me get to this point.

https://youtu.be/nGmpPG56ei0

speshal

« Reply #26 on: 1 Jun 2021, 01:50 am »
Another update where I played with aesthetics while waiting on the drivers and crossover.  This update is mainly for LOL'ing at me because it's definitely NOT the right way to add designs to the speaker...especially if it's already coated in Duratex.  However, I made the best of it.

On the flip side, I may be the first to use LEDs, but we'll see if I keep them permanently.  The problem with waiting so long for the drivers is that it tempts me to tinkering with ideas.

https://youtu.be/jiM4jCYtq00

Rock Ball

« Reply #27 on: 1 Jun 2021, 05:12 pm »
On the flip side, I may be the first to use LEDs, but we'll see if I keep them permanently.

That was a creative idea.

speshal

« Reply #28 on: 2 Jun 2021, 12:57 am »
Thanks...I expected it to be a bust and cheapen the look, but they have made these LED strips so thin now that it's practically invisible when off.

When on, it's very customizable, so I think I'm going to go forward and do it on both speakers.

One day I'll get to actually listen to these things...like you've been fortunate to do for awhile.  Fingers crossed.

morganc

« Reply #29 on: 2 Jun 2021, 02:32 am »
Love the LED. Strong work.

speshal

« Reply #30 on: 26 Jun 2021, 10:19 pm »
Getting close to being finished...video to come soon on my channel

mkrawcz

« Reply #31 on: 26 Jun 2021, 10:24 pm »
Looking good! Almost time for the fun.

speshal

« Reply #32 on: 8 Jul 2021, 02:02 am »
I'm finally up and running...not without some more road blocks along the way (bad woofer).

I'm behind on videos, but I had lots of emails asking about showing wiring process, so here's a video on that.  It's mainly geared for beginners who are new to soldering, schematics, etc.

This stuff is nothing to experienced people, but it can get quite confusing to newbies.  Thus, I try to give tips from that perspective.  Others may do things differently.

https://youtu.be/_E5Ao-Gn10o

speshal

« Reply #33 on: 13 Jul 2021, 02:18 pm »
Pretty much finished the build and figured I'd wrap up this thread with a pic.  The LEDs on the speaker turned out much better than I thought.  It adds an ambiance that is 100% controllable... and more interesting than either a white ceiling light or total darkness.

Soon, I'll have more videos on my YT channel in terms of feedback on the performance compared to other mega dollar speakers in familiar with like YG, MBL, Rockport, Wilson, Magnepan, Alsyvox, Wisdom, etc.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #34 on: 13 Jul 2021, 04:02 pm »
Very nice  :thumb:

Looking forward to the review and comparisons

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #35 on: 13 Jul 2021, 05:10 pm »
Miflex caps will take about 400 hours to fully burn in, so I'd wait till then if you're doing serious comparisons with other speakers.

speshal

« Reply #36 on: 24 Jul 2021, 09:55 pm »
I'll have videos with my personal impressions, commentary and measurements, but here is a video with just music clips.

The cell phone mic does a decent job and the visual on the LEDs I added shows how it adds ambiance.

This video isn't public yet, so the only way to watch is via this link.  I figured I give the guys here an early look.

https://youtu.be/n_x28aMHrTM

mkrawcz

« Reply #37 on: 24 Jul 2021, 10:05 pm »
The bass response is really impressive in that room without OB servo subs.

speshal

« Reply #38 on: 26 Jul 2021, 05:37 pm »
Thanks...I really like Danny's OB sub.

It's not only great for the money, but it's great period.

It also gives lots of versatility in terms of settings/preferences.  It would be my go-to recommendation for almost anyone, especially with speakers that need to get crossed over high.

However, when you have bass management capabilities already and a REL25 sub, it's hard to beat for true sub frequencies and integration.

speshal

« Reply #39 on: 13 Aug 2021, 02:21 pm »
I did a final wrap-up video to address various questions I received and final thoughts after living with them for awhile now and dialing things in.

Thanks again to those who helped along the way.

https://youtu.be/jlipNXQ8uss