Wharfedale Evo 4.4

msuwendy

Re: Wharfedale Evo 4.4
« Reply #40 on: 25 Nov 2021, 09:39 am »
Thanks to bunkbail, a link:

Wharfedale Evo 4.4 crossover

YouTube https://youtu.be/CMVomg-aaCU?t=353

Optimized

Hi does anyone know how to access to Evo 4.4 Crossover? it doesnt have any visible screw for the woofer or everywhere else unless the bottom of the speaker

Thanks

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #41 on: 25 Nov 2021, 05:21 pm »
When they said the AMT is tuned for a less bright sound, is that done in the crossover or the AMT driver itself?

One thing I wanted to improve is more dynamic, faster transit reponse than the slow PRAT from Wharfedales house sound. If we use better crossover parts, can we improve the overall PRAT and dynamic?

Sorry, I did not see this post until today.  The guys at wharfedale did not elaborate on how they tuned it except that it took a lot of hours to get it right.

I don't find the PRAT slow with the Evo's.   In fact, they sound nothing like the Diamond series which are slow, bloomy and warm.  The Evo's sound crisp, clear, resolving and dynamic with a hint of warmth.  The top end is silky smooth but a little recessed.  Bass is tight, fast and musical.  When I heard these at RMAF with a Primare I35 integrated we and everyone in the room were looking around for the subwoofer which was not there.  A lot of that had to do with the Primare which was hugely dynamic, crystal clear and very detailed and resolving.  My son and I felt it was the top sounding budget room at RMAF.  And I say budget lightly as the speakers are $2K and the Primare is $4500.

Of course, YMMV depending upon your electronics.

Wharf44

• EVO 4.4 / Atoll IN300 / Atoll DAC 200 / CA X50
« Reply #42 on: 6 Dec 2023, 07:18 am »
Hello Greyhound Fan,
I'm new here and registered specifically because of 4.4.
Are you still so convinced of the EVO's, or is your son?

I've been using the Evos for over a year now and I'm wondering if there's really room for improvement, I use them with an Atoll IN 300 and an Atoll DAC 200SE, they sound excellent, the question is whether they sound even better with Danny's crossover modification become.

It's a difficult decision because the kit including tax and shipping to Germany isn't exactly cheap.

I'm really afraid that your good sound will suffer as a result,
On the other hand, I'm very curious whether they would sound "even better" with such a modification.

Unfortunately, I haven't found any posts on the WWW where people report on the impression after the modification.

I would be pleased to receive an answer from you. :D

Regards
Chris