Anyone heard Planotspeakers?

Don_S

Re: Anyone heard Planotspeakers?
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jul 2015, 09:41 pm »
John,

Welcome to the Circle.  :wave:

I think the live stream idea is very good especially if it also eventually finds its way onto YouTube.

I also think a great idea would be to give a demo at a major show.  Then you get buzz from attendees who will post on multiple forums. Hopefully your demo will be something worthwhile and the press will pick up on it and spread the word.

I think the show route is your best bet because it automatically gives you broader coverage online and more credibility if many audiophiles give it thumbs up.  If you do a live stream or YouTube you have to get the word out somehow and it is only gets the respect of an "infomercial".

Bummer about the California Audio Show.  I will be there and would love to hear something truly new.

Good luck, 

Don

Planot

« Reply #21 on: 17 Jul 2015, 10:04 pm »
Thanks, Don. Good advice.
John

Planot

« Reply #22 on: 18 Jul 2015, 05:04 pm »
If you do a live stream or YouTube you have to get the word out somehow and it is only gets the respect of an "infomercial".

The live stream event will feature participants who will gain nothing from the event. The participants' reasonable expectations should be that if they are dishonest in their opinions, wether negative or positive, that it will harm their reputation. 

I am the only one that I expect to gain from any positive publicity.  I have no expectation that participants at the demo are going to be totally positive or negative about the performance of the Planot driver. My prototypes are, and always have been, proof-of-concept implementations. My hope is that everyone will agree that they point towards a greater enjoyment of the arts.

All I hope for is an intelligent and informed discussion and a positive appreciation of what I have achieved, so far. When my patent is commercialized, my reasonable expectation is that "MY implementation of the concept" will be vastly improved upon. This is just the beginning; I am advancing the science of sound reproduction.

John

Wind Chaser

« Reply #23 on: 18 Jul 2015, 06:26 pm »
I think the concept is very interesting and worth looking into. I'm not a potential manufacturer, but if I were in your shoes, the audience I would look for is companies that are already in the business of manufacturing loudspeaker drive units. The link below is a list as such.

http://www.helarc.com/linksdrivers.html

Wind Chaser

« Reply #24 on: 18 Jul 2015, 06:37 pm »
Question - what are the design challenges and limitations you have encountered so far.

Folsom

« Reply #25 on: 18 Jul 2015, 08:18 pm »
Sooo... does it sound like anything?

Mike B.

« Reply #26 on: 18 Jul 2015, 11:20 pm »
My advice is to get positive word of mouth. Have people post their listening impressions on the big audio related boards. I suspect that will trigger a request for a review sample.

Planot

« Reply #27 on: 18 Jul 2015, 11:24 pm »
Sooo... does it sound like anything?

I am not an audiophile that has seriously auditioned scores and scores of different speakers. But, that said I believe that it is sometimes easier to compare the performance of speakers against an known quantity such as a reference speaker that you have carefully compared to real sound. But, no, sorry I can not compare it to any speaker you are probably familiar with. I have a 3-way Essence system. Each driver is transmission loaded. The tweeter and super tweeter each have their own concrete enclosures. Each of the three enclosures can be "physically time aligned." The enclosure clusters have minimum diffraction fronts. The crossovers are single pole using Wonder Caps and 1% resisters. They use a combination of Audax and Morel drivers.

These are my personal reference. I am not a musician but I was the stage manager and audio visual expert for a museum concert hall for 10 1/2 years. The concert hall hosted a great number of mainly classical music concerts but also some jazz. I developed my ear in parallel with my interest in audiophile equipment. I was responsible for sound reinforcement and recording, etc. I have acute and sensitive hearing with and extremely, almost pathological, hatred of high frequency distortion.

I would like to do some live vrs live played through Planots.

John
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2015, 05:02 pm by Planot »

Folsom

« Reply #28 on: 18 Jul 2015, 11:31 pm »
You could just say it sounds nice, but you don't know how nice... or it needs some work. I mean, does it sound like another pair of speakers?

rodge827

« Reply #29 on: 18 Jul 2015, 11:46 pm »
John,
Welcome to AC your design is different for sure. Are there limits as to room size and placement of your speakers?

Chris

Planot

« Reply #30 on: 19 Jul 2015, 01:15 am »
John,
Welcome to AC your design is different for sure. Are there limits as to room size and placement of your speakers?

Chris

Chris:
There is a limit to the output of my current prototypes; small listening rooms.

I believe my design is limited only by the motor and by the total surface area of the diaphragm(s).
What are the limits of cone shaped diaphragms?

John

Planot

« Reply #31 on: 19 Jul 2015, 01:34 am »
You could just say it sounds nice, but you don't know how nice... or it needs some work. I mean, does it sound like another pair of speakers?

Sorry but I have no better answer to your question. I may in the future but I don't have one now.
If I tell you what others have said of the performance of the Planot I guarantee you will not believe me.
I prefer to have others speak for my invention. I have provided measurements and measurement parameters and no one believes me. This is why I want to find the correct research lab to certify and quantity the performance. I am talking to Indy Acoustic Research to do the measurements.

-|-|-|-

Some people, especially engineers, prefer to measure speaker performance while other people want to hear speaker performance. Some people will only believe their ears and some people will only believe numbers. The truth is independat of both until such time that we have the ability to describe the experience of hearing numerically. That may only happen if we can quantify the experience through noninvasive brain scanning. Unfortunately or not many outside factors are involved in the way we process sound. There is not a direct 1:1 correspondence between the phenomena of sound and our experience of it. But if we work together we can close the gap. Speakers are the window on the solution.

John

I can't post anymore until next week but please keep questioning. I'll check back and I hope I can answer all your questions.

Planot

« Reply #32 on: 19 Jul 2015, 01:39 am »
Please follow the link below to vote for Planot for the Create the Future Design Contest sponsored by Tech Briefs, COMSOL, HP and others. Pleas share with friends.

http://contest.techbriefs.com/2015/entries/consumer-products/5851

Thanks,
John

rodge827

« Reply #33 on: 19 Jul 2015, 01:46 am »
Chris:
There is a limit to the output of my current prototypes; small listening rooms.

I believe my design is limited only by the motor and by the total surface area of the diaphragm(s).
What are the limits of cone shaped diaphragms?

John

John,

Thank you for the answer to my question, but no need to be defensive with your response.
I'm intrigued by your new/different approach to transducer design...not combative.

Be well,

Chris     

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #34 on: 19 Jul 2015, 01:48 am »
I imagine that a long triangular or square cross section diaphragm like the one used would twist significantly along its length when being driven at one end, and this would affect coherence by providing multiple arrival times—in fact, a time period over which a steep-fronted impulse would arrive at the listener, slowing the rise time and blurring detail. That's my first thought seeing something this long being driven from one end.

I guess that, acoustically, this is an omni directional line source which is a nice configuration for home use.

Have you tried a motor at each end, M. Gaudreault?

Folsom

« Reply #35 on: 19 Jul 2015, 02:02 am »
I wish you the best John, but if you can't tell me if it's better than say my laptop speakers...

You could have a room full of people that listen to it, but if they don't say a word perhaps none of them will buy it or invest. Yet if even just you said, not to bad right, for a triangle. Who knows what they'd say or pay once they start defining what they hear. For the record not everyone believes reviewers or testimonials anymore than the manufactures comments.

I have to assume if you're hear you have a mild amount of confidence. I'm inclined to say I'd like to help you in anyway possible but you have to tell me if it even sounds like music. I assume it does, but I don't think it should be a stretch to say yes.

Russell, I wondered about that too, however I realized that you're talking about motor matching. Tight tolerances and stiffness might be more practicle initially.
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2015, 04:23 am by Folsom »

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #36 on: 19 Jul 2015, 02:19 am »

Russell, I wondered about that too, however I realized that you're talking about motor matching. Tight tolerances and stiffness might be more practicle initially.

No, I'm not talking about motor matching, unless I misunderstand you.
I was simply addressing the configuration chosen where a long, narrow shape is being rapidly oscillated by a motor driving it at the end. It seems to me that at higher frequencies and louder levels, where significant torque is being applied in a rapidly alternating directions, that there might be enough twist to be audible, if the device is light enough to respond properly at high frequencies. In my mind the design trade off would be similar to cone speakers in that you want lightness of the diaphragm but need strength at the same time. We all know about the complex break-up characteristics of cones, but why would that not also apply to long triangular shapes such as these?

Folsom

« Reply #37 on: 19 Jul 2015, 02:37 am »
Russell, you weren't, but I'm fairly certain that's the first consideration once you jump into two motors.

Planot

« Reply #38 on: 19 Jul 2015, 03:16 am »

"I have to assume if you're hear you have a mild ammount of confidence. I'm inclined to say I'd like to help you in anyway possible but you have to tell me if it even sounds like music. I assume it does, but I don't think it should be a stretch to say yes."

Sorry I misunderstood the thrust of your question. It's sounds very good. It reveals a very great amount, of inner detail. It is able to decode more spatial information, though in a very natural manner, than any speaker I have heard. It plays very deep with exceeding realism. It is able to convey the decay of a plucked or struck string better than any other speaker I remember.  I had never heard that anywhere but in my concert hall at the side of the Steinway grand. I love it. You have a very broad stereo band to sit in. With a  good binaural sound source it creates an acoustic space that is most startling, when, the signal stops and this grand acoustic cathedral collapses into black silence.

John

Folsom

« Reply #39 on: 19 Jul 2015, 04:24 am »
"I have to assume if you're hear you have a mild ammount of confidence. I'm inclined to say I'd like to help you in anyway possible but you have to tell me if it even sounds like music. I assume it does, but I don't think it should be a stretch to say yes."

Sorry I misunderstood the thrust of your question. It's sounds very good. It reveals a very great amount, of inner detail. It is able to decode more spatial information, though in a very natural manner, than any speaker I have heard. It plays very deep with exceeding realism. It is able to convey the decay of a plucked or struck string better than any other speaker I remember.  I had never heard that anywhere but in my concert hall at the side of the Steinway grand. I love it. You have a very broad stereo band to sit in. With a  good binaural sound source it creates an acoustic space that is most startling, when, the signal stops and this grand acoustic cathedral collapses into black silence.

John

Thanks John, I'm excited to see what it turns into now.