Wolfson 8742 Chip in AVA DACs - Can it play back SACD rips?

strat95

I was just looking up the data sheet for the Wolfson 8742 chip

http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/dacs/WM8742/

and it appears this DAC chip is capable of DSD mode (DSD bit-stream support for SACD applications, Support for normal or phase modulated bit-streams, Direct or PCM converted DSD paths (DSD Plus), DSD mute).

Are the AVA DACs that employ this chip able to play back DSD streams?  Super Audio CDs (SACDs) can now be ripped to hard drive (check out the High-Rez circle for info) and played back by various means.  For example, there are plugins for Foobar and Jriver Media Player that allow you to play the SACD.iso file ripped from the SACD.  In addition, there are a handful of DACs (Meitner, Mytek, and the new Bryston come to mind) that can play back SACD streams but one has to convert the SACD.iso to individual DIFF files (I think).

I am guessing you need a USB input for this to work?

TV

firedog

Re: Wolfson 8742 Chip in AVA DACs - Can it play back SACD rips?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2012, 08:22 am »
Even DACs that have chips capable of native DSD playback generally don't have that feature "turned on". Why? Because you need specialized drivers and many companies that make DACs don't want to fool with that aspect, as till now DSD has been an extremely tiny market. Generally any DAC that is setup to do DSD will advertise itself as DSD capable.