AVA Business Model - why we are still here after 40 years.

aln

Re: AVA Business Model - why we are still here after 40 years.
« Reply #20 on: 27 Nov 2020, 01:29 pm »
Amen!  Frank is the best.

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #21 on: 27 Nov 2020, 02:35 pm »
Yes indeed. I've never experienced such a combination of great products and customer service with any other business!

trebejo

« Reply #22 on: 26 Oct 2021, 06:10 pm »
The continuation of a fine tradition is a good reason to stay in business, right?

In 1984, vol. 7, No. 2, Stereophile published its list of recommended components, and on page 84 that list includes this passage.

"Dynaco PAS-3X$
Owners of this old classic should not immediately
throw it out; if you come across one at a garage
sale, snap it up. Removal of capacitors, upgrading
of the rectifier  and power supply, and replacing
resistors can turn the old PAS-3X into a respectable
preamp. In the Van Alstine-modified version ($160),
it  can rival some of the better modern units.
"

37 years later, happy audiophiles are still discovering for themselves this affordable road to sonic bliss. I'd bet a dollar that 37 years from now, the T10 will still sound great...

rcag_ils

« Reply #23 on: 24 Nov 2021, 03:53 am »
I'd love to buy one for $160.

ChuckH

« Reply #24 on: 31 Jul 2022, 01:39 am »
Frank, I'm wondering if you ever seriously considered making a 3 or more channel amp with a 12v trigger for home theatre or putting a trigger on your current line of amps as an option?

Many years ago I had my Hafler 600 rebuilt into an Omega amp and later had that amp upgraded to a later generation Omega 3.  No comparison between the Hafler and the Omega.  Every aspect of the sound was better.

danielgk

• AVA engineer/technicion
« Reply #25 on: 31 Jul 2022, 09:40 pm »
We had a 3 channel Synergy for a while...nobody bought it.  MAYBE a couple units in as many years.  No where near the interest needed for the product to make financial sense.  You can buy three M225 mono-blocks, some people have done that (I think).

As for 12v trigger, same answer...very low interest and high cost to implement.  You can accomplish the same goal with a remote control outlet at a fraction of the cost it would take us to implement it.  This is the one Frank has, and its on sale now for under $13:
https://www.amazon.com/DEWENWILS-Wireless-Weatherproof-Electrical-Grounded/dp/B077Q78LSJ/ref=sr_1_22?crid=2S3RN7FWKQK0F&keywords=remote+control+outlet&qid=1659302863&sprefix=remote+control+outlet%2Caps%2C125&sr=8-22

Dan

ltdan

« Reply #26 on: 10 Nov 2022, 02:22 am »
I actually was thinking to try my Furman 15 PFI to do exactly this switching with the M750’s but the website states the following which made me think I shouldn’t.

“It is OK to use a power strip with an AVA preamp or DAC. Do not, however, use a power strip with an AVA amplifier! All amplifiers should be plugged directly into your wall AC jack. Also note that amplifiers should not be plugged into "switched" AC jacks. If you use a power strip with an AVA preamp, don't use the power strip to turn the preamp on and off; use the preamp's power switch.”

Was there an issue in the implementation in the past that caused issue but is maybe resolved now or should I continue to not give it a try? Obviously it’s easier to have the furman turn the amps on when triggered but I don’t want to put the amps at some known risk. Thanks!

danielgk

• AVA engineer/technicion
« Reply #27 on: 10 Nov 2022, 12:02 pm »
The Furman 15 PFI is rates at 15amps as is the remote control outlet mentioned above that Frank has been using successfully with a pair of M225 and, more recently, a pair of M750's.  The M225's are not all that power hungry and the M750's have a new "soft start" power supply board that makes them very easy to power up.  I actually had a 5a fast blow fuse installed by mistake in an M750 during testing and it never blew under multiple power up cycles, something that our older "big" amps would never have been able to do.  A pair of either M225's or M750's ought to be able to be powered by a 15a device without any problem.

That said, a pair of M750's does have the capability of drawing more than 15amps (over 7.5 amps each).  This will occur at power levels above 250w, continuous, rms.  At that power level you will more than likely have more issues with heat than with power input, however if you are pushing these amps that hard a pair of 15amp power conditioners/remote control outlets plugged into different 120vac power circuits would probably be the way to go.

Dan

ltdan

« Reply #28 on: 10 Nov 2022, 03:32 pm »
I see, thank you Dan for explaining for me! Very helpful info and will probably give it a try then. Thanks!

SoaringBear

« Reply #29 on: 24 Feb 2023, 10:53 pm »
I called AVA technical support this morning and Frank answered. Another secret of his company’s success. He knows his customers on a first-hand basis. I am a fan.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #30 on: 26 Feb 2023, 04:37 am »
Post/Publish/Let me know if you learn of a remote control outlet that can be controlled by a smartphone app over Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, rather than yet another hardware remote control. I've been unsuccessfully searching for those.

We had a 3 channel Synergy for a while...nobody bought it.  MAYBE a couple units in as many years.  No where near the interest needed for the product to make financial sense.  You can buy three M225 mono-blocks, some people have done that (I think).

As for 12v trigger, same answer...very low interest and high cost to implement.  You can accomplish the same goal with a remote control outlet at a fraction of the cost it would take us to implement it.  This is the one Frank has, and its on sale now for under $13:
https://www.amazon.com/DEWENWILS-Wireless-Weatherproof-Electrical-Grounded/dp/B077Q78LSJ/ref=sr_1_22?crid=2S3RN7FWKQK0F&keywords=remote+control+outlet&qid=1659302863&sprefix=remote+control+outlet%2Caps%2C125&sr=8-22

Dan

Wayner

« Reply #31 on: 26 Feb 2023, 12:40 pm »
Having been retired from the AVA organization for a couple of years now, I often am reminded of the products and the people behind them. I have 4 VisionQ phono preamps, 1 proto-type tubed phono preamp, 4 power amps (one is the original proto-type Ultravalve), the other is one of the first Ultravalves) a DAC and 3 preamps (2 are EC SS, the other, tubed. I still have many of the drawings that I made for parts over the years and have back-ups of the drawings on my computer. I have a scrap book of the product lineup on a shelf. I have a picture of Frank and myself working on the Ultravalve in the early days of the product hanging on the wall. I have a couple of parts drawers full of knobs and feet and other associated parts from the product line used to "fit" things just right.

All I can say is that there is more to AVA than meets the eye. Many talented and dedicated people helping make the prodcuts come to life. I sometimes can't believe that I was even a small part of it. When I was about 20 years old, I blew up my Dynakit Stereo 120 (yes there was smoke) and little did I know, the guy that fixed it up back then (from Jensen's Stereo Shop) would be the same person 30 years later that I did work for.

rcag_ils

« Reply #32 on: 28 May 2023, 01:25 am »
« Last Edit: 28 May 2023, 01:28 pm by rcag_ils »