iFi and AMR

SFDude

Re: iFi and AMR
« Reply #20 on: 21 Dec 2016, 07:28 am »
Welcome Pez! Know you more from head-fi than here (I'm lurking on there under another alias) but congrats on the iFi gig.  :thumb:

Zero

« Reply #21 on: 21 Dec 2016, 06:55 pm »
Yo, I have AMR kit and I have iFi kit.  Does that mean I can play?   :lol:

brother love

« Reply #22 on: 21 Dec 2016, 09:39 pm »
Yo, I have AMR kit and I have iFi kit.  Does that mean I can play?   :lol:

Qualifies you to say twice as much.  :wink:

I'm looking forward to hearing Pez & others discuss the various iFi devices that they have in use & what improvements are seen. There seems to be a fair amount of overlap product-wise as they roll out new & improved devices that can serve multiple  functions. Either that, or I am confused as hell.  :lol:

Pez

« Reply #23 on: 22 Dec 2016, 09:32 pm »
As promised here is a quick synopsis of what I am using currently from iFi. This setup is what I use commonly at home. Yes it is bulky, but it is manageable to walk around with. The added weight is more than made up for by the incredible sonics this simple setup is capable of. What we have here is your basic iApplething plugged into the new Micro iDSD Black Label (shorthand mDSD BL) which is quite literally the best portable headphone amp/DAC/Preamp etc I have heard. I am floored at how next tier this setup is. The secret, the iDevice is running Onkyo HF player (more on that later) and it is running full 5.6mhz DSD directly from the camera kit cable to the mDSD BL.

The IEMs I'm currently using are the JH13 v2 in Zebrawood and Abolone.

The JH13s can be driven by almost anything, but the mDSD BL is literally the only headphone amp I have heard that brings them to a level of detail that is astonishing. There are some tricks to get them there. Most IEMs can be driven by the mDSD BL with IEMatch set to 'high' and power to 'eco' (in other words one of the lowest power settings). While the 13s can be driven this way they seem to thrive off of a bit more power. setting to 'ultra' on IEMatch and 'Normal' on power mode irons out the sibilance region and substantially warms up the midrange. This could be true with any number of IEMs and the mDSD is pretty much the only instrument on the market that will allow this level of adjustability. The bass control control is what really blows my mind with the black label. With Xbass OFF you get a kick that is substantially better than I thought was even possible with IEMs. When Xbass is ON it gives a kick to the bass that somehow manages to be controlled, staying true to the character of vocals, and still relatively tight. It adds just enough without being too much. Extraordinarily well voiced and I don't think I've ever heard bass EQ this well done. Likely due to the revoicing of Xbass on the black label (more on that later.)

More to come :thumb: I appreciate all the iFi love I'm seeing! Would love to see what other people are using in their iFi setups.

PeteG

« Reply #24 on: 23 Dec 2016, 01:15 am »
Congrats Pez. It's good to hear one of the good guys going into a very good audio company.
I believe the new circle will be very well received, I've listen to ifi products at RMAF and always wanted the micro-iDSD for the times I can't listen to my system and watch TV/sports.

Pez

« Reply #25 on: 23 Dec 2016, 03:33 pm »
Thanks Pete! Yep iFi is a great group! One of my main tasks is dressing up skeletons in a Santa suit.

Some of you might have met Curtis at RMAF. He's sorta become our unofficial mascot.  :D Happy Holidays Audiocircle fam.

JakeJ

« Reply #26 on: 24 Dec 2016, 01:50 am »
Dude! That diet is hard core.

Oh yeah, Happy Holidays to All!

Pez

« Reply #27 on: 28 Dec 2016, 08:08 pm »
Hey guys,

Hope your holiday season is going great! Got a recommendation for you. Check out Bjork "Biophilia" really superb sound quality. A touch sibilant on the track "crystalline" but really excellent other than that. Any way, really great concert video here: www.biophiliathefilm.com some of the instruments she uses are incredible. Giant Tesla Coil machine playing square waves, HUGE pendulum used during the performance that actually plays music. Any way, regardless of your opinion of her music she certainly knows how to do something big and different. Musical genius in my opinion.

24/96 and being converted to 5.6 MHz via the Onkyo software ($10 on App Store) fair warning, the album is recorded phase inverted and the bass is pretty boom if not corrected. But other than that it sounds amazing and the music is deep yet thoughtful. Some tracks like "Hollow" get dense but are still worth the listen if for anything the execution of something on this magnitude. on the Micro iDSD Black Label (mDSD BL) the scale is breathtaking and natural. It soinds great on my JH13s or the Meze Classic 99s. The mDSD BL is damn near miraculous despite the fact I'm using the iPhone as a source.

This setup is so excellent for taking with me to do chores around the house.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2016, 12:11 am by Pez »

Pez

« Reply #28 on: 4 Jan 2017, 07:41 pm »
Happy New Year AC! Let's have a little fun. First let's talk about the iSilencer 3.0. What is it? In short it uses active noise cancelation to reduce jitter and packet errors inherent in noisy USB path. I use it between my iUSB-Retro desktop setup. The main thing I get from it's use sonically is a much cleaner sibilance region and air. It seems to be one of those devices that works pretty much anywhere in the signal path. From my external hard drive to the computer. From the computer to the Retro, wherever.

Check it out here: http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-isilencer3-0/

I'm going to give away an iSilencer at random to anyone who posts the following:

Hell yes!!! I want iFi on AC!!

And your Audiophile New Years resolution. That's right, what nerdly audio geek wry do you have planned for 2017? New gear? Less gear. Getting into Hi res (yes please!) whatever it may be. Post it! I'll pick winner at random. Multiple entries are encouraged. Just please... don't spam.

Good luck everyone!
« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2017, 01:55 pm by Pez »

mcgsxr

« Reply #29 on: 4 Jan 2017, 07:55 pm »
This sounds like fun to me.

In terms of a new years resolution, it would be to better handle hi rez streaming at home to a portable device with improved sound quality.

I still use Logitech Media Server on a dedicated netbook as my server.  I use iPeng at several ios devices, and have purchased in app replay.  This allows me to stream up to 24/192 over wifi.  The iPad 2 (and iPhone 6s as far as I know) are limited to 24/96 internally, so if I listen directly out of the ios device I am limited to 24/96.  A portable DAC may allow for 24/192.

I am using headphones directly out of the ios devices and expect the headamp portion of those ios devices can be improved.  I anticipate that several iFi devices can work to get me there!

Should be fun!

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #30 on: 4 Jan 2017, 08:57 pm »
Look what happens when I go out of the country for a spell! 8)

I am not doing cans or IEMs for the highest fidelity. :nono:   While working out -- yes.  But I would love to try the iphono2 and see where it stacks up.  I suppose I can get it through Amazon to test drive and return it. 

iFi I think is in east coast (Virginia?).  Does this mean you might come out this way?

Best wishes, dude. :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #31 on: 4 Jan 2017, 08:59 pm »

My audio New Years resolution is to either finish making and/or buying the last couple of cables for the main system and perhaps one back-up system.  From where I've upgraded in other systems to finish rotating equipment to back-up systems.  I've never been to RMAF so I want to go this year.  I also will try (but may need therapy) to not look at any other upgrades before RMAF>

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #32 on: 4 Jan 2017, 11:21 pm »

Currently running iFi usb and split cable in between Carbon server and W4S DAC. Come to think of it I have the USB dongle in there too. Own the original iFi DAC which lives in a drawer currently.

My only beef is keeping track of the device names...

Oh shit, I didn't read very carefully, did I? New Years resolutions are not something I consider much but since it's a requirement to this offer I guess I'll get with it.

I resolve to finish painting house, meditate more and eat pomegranates.
« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2017, 07:53 pm by Peter J »

BRN

« Reply #33 on: 4 Jan 2017, 11:45 pm »

Plan on standing JRiver on a fabless Windows PC. Maybe upgrade my iDSD Nano to the iDSD Micro BL. Cleanup my digital music files.

roscoe65

« Reply #34 on: 4 Jan 2017, 11:45 pm »

My audiophile resolutions for 2017 including wrapping up a number of audio projects that have been stuck in the "progress" phase for too long.  Once I have narrowed down how things will end up, I get to to sell off unused equipment, after which I will immediately regret selling it.

bacobits1

« Reply #35 on: 5 Jan 2017, 12:06 am »

It would be great to do this once a month. :lol: :thumb:

Already have the Phono 2 , pm me if you need to know anything.

D

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #36 on: 5 Jan 2017, 04:15 am »

My new year's resolution is to be a grumpier angrier reviewer  :lol:

I'm trying to decide on a new motto. So far I'm leaning towards "I'm not a good enough photographer to be an audio reviewer."

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #37 on: 5 Jan 2017, 07:38 pm »

This year, I am going to get my wallet out for Zenwave Audio Cables, and finish my ceiling treatments. Hopefully not buy too many tubes   ;)

gnostalgick

« Reply #38 on: 5 Jan 2017, 08:32 pm »

My audio new year's resolution is to get new speakers--specifically smallish floorstanders with extended treble, amazing mid-range, and better bass than one would expect.  ProAc Studio 148s are looking most likely, as I've been able to demo them with my music & my amps, but the Salk Song3s are also exceptional.  I may also try to hear the Tannoy 8XTF if I get a chance. I also need to get a new cartridge for a Dual 1219 & learn turntable set up.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #39 on: 5 Jan 2017, 08:42 pm »
My shipment from Music Direct arrived today. DC iPurifier, iPurifier2, and a Mercury USB cable. My Intel NUC/Mytek Brooklyn combo sounds better than ever! Nice affordable gear that works!