Setting up a New Well Tempered Amadeus

DavidS

Setting up a New Well Tempered Amadeus
« on: 31 Aug 2011, 01:38 am »
I am the new owner of an Amadeus turntable.  Ordered it with the new upgraded power supply but this is apparently 3-4 weeks away.

I think I set a record for setup - no not a good record - rather for slow setup - 4.5 hours of pretty steady puttering away.  I admit I am not handy.  But it worked great first time I fired it up.

I am mostly curious about setup of VTA.  I have my tonearm about level now but thinking it should be slightly angled from high at the back to lower in front.  What heights do you have the cup and post at.  Does VTA change depending on the cartridge - my cartridge is an Ortofon 2m Black.

I am also finding dropping the needle on the record quite challenging ... sure my technique will evolve.  Already getting good at lifting off the record.  I didn't put the arm lift on it based upon reading it will degrade sound quality but this may be the way to go.

Any experienced owners input would be great. 

David

michael w

Re: Setting up a New Well Tempered Amadeus
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2011, 11:46 pm »
VTA settings vary not only from cartridge to cartridge but also from system to system.

As the table is new to you, start off with the arm tube parallel and listen for a few weeks before adjusting VTA.

In general, raising the rear of the arm will affect the quality of the highs, to the possible detriment of the lows. And vice versa, lowering it will affect the lows to the possible detriment of the highs.

The ideal is reach a balance somewhere in between.

threadkiller

« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2011, 01:38 am »
Yes, agree, each cartridge will be different for vta.
Congrats, sounds like you've done well.
And yes, no need for finger lift.  You'll get the hang of it eventually and develop your own lifting style.  I try to emulate Firebaugh, and put the pinky of my right hand down on the table between the two pillars, and fold my other fingers on top of the pinky, and then lift the arm in the middle with my index. Works like a charm. I can now cue more accurately like that than with a cueing lever and fingerlift.  I suppose like using a fork in a way, which i'm good at, too.
You'll see how easy it becomes with time.  Some newbies take to it instantly, so don't be afraid. If you miscue, due to the damping, you can grab the arm before damage occurs.  Enjoy!

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2011, 06:24 pm »
Just spent the morning playing around with the VTA (lowering both the columns slightly), and wow has the bass improved from it. I'd recommend finding a recording that you have on CD or lossless digital and on LP and toggling back and forth to dial in the sound. Using the digital as a reference really helped out, and then you can play around to get the bass/treble balance that you prefer (I tilted things a bit towards the bass, which a) is where my Tranquility DAC feels a touch light and b) is the balance I personally prefer).

Having recordings that you know inside and out really helps in this set-up. It was listening to the TV on the Radio album "Dear Science" which I know extremely well from lossless digital and just picked up on vinyl that made me realize that the WTA was a bit bass light.

And lastly be sure to check the VTF after making adjustments to make sure it hasn't changed after your tweaking.

Now time to spin some albums with BASS.

Plink

« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2011, 01:14 am »
Hi David, i read a post one time where an Ortofon engineer said that their cartridges are typically designed for the arm tube to be level and VTF set within the recommended range.  This way, one can approximate correct SRA.  Btw, it is not VTA that you should be concerned about but moreso, SRA (Stylus Rake Angle).  Ironically, if you are in the range for correct VTA (arm tube level on most cartridges), changes in VTF will affect SRA much more than the same degree change in VTA.  Interesting physics here.  Fremer wrote a good piece on this and can be found online.

I would echo what others said as well.

How did I get to learn about this?  Well, I have been going through the daunting task of trying to get Ortofon's nude replicant stylus at the proper angle on my WTA.

I am by no means an expert but once you get all that set, play around with damping.  My cartridge didn't sound up to expectations until I had it damped correctly (not too much and not too little).

threadkiller

« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2011, 02:51 am »
Agree whole heartedly.  That sra can be very important, and is something often overlooked.  When done correctly, you'll hear a big change.

hesson11

« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2011, 03:57 am »
Yamamoto makes an add-on arm lift (hit link and scroll down). I've always wondered if it would work on the Amadeus/Simplex. It might make life a little less nerve-wracking for some folks.
-Bob

http://www.jacmusic.com/Yamamoto/Phono/index.html

threadkiller

« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2011, 04:35 am »
Seems like it would just get in the way. I would think anyone but the most advanced Parkinson's or ms users would be challenged by manually cueing the arm.  I've seen more people bounce a cartridge off the platter with a cueing device than using this arm, bob.   Relax.

DavidS

« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2011, 11:55 pm »
Just got back in after 5 days away ... and what excellent responses to read.  Much appreciated everyone.  Have some reading to do as I don't understand what SRA is, but think everyday I use it I get a better feel for fine tuning the sound from my new turntable.  Cueing is still nerve racking but sure experience will hone my technique. 

I am waiting on the new power supply - will be interesting to see what impact it has on the already quiet background.  Again thanks for sharing your experience with this great table.

David

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2011, 11:56 pm »
Let us know about that power supply. Would love to try it out with my WTA and P75 both...

threadkiller

« Reply #10 on: 9 Sep 2011, 12:12 am »
Will do...