Power Conditioner/surge protector recommendations for external hard drives

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
I store my music collection on two external hard drives with two back ups.  Any recommendations for pretty basic conditioners and/or surge protectors for external hard drives?  Thanks in advance.

TomS

ZeroSurge, just pick how many outlets and current you need.

https://zerosurge.com/plug-in-products-solutions/

Speedskater

• Kevin
Yes the ZeroSurge and it's twins are excellent but very expensive!
Most people don't need any power conditioners or additional surge protection for external hard drives.
In fact no one should need power conditioners for digital and computer units.

TomS

Yes the ZeroSurge and it's twins are excellent but very expensive!
Most people don't need any power conditioners or additional surge protection for external hard drives.
In fact no one should need power conditioners for digital and computer units.
Starts at $175 for the best surge protection in the business and I assume he would use it for more than a hard drive or 2.
If you think that's expensive you're definitely not a bonafide audiophool  :D

Speedskater

• Kevin
Yes, it's dangerous to only have surge protection on some of your interconnected components. It's an everything or nothing situation. And all the surge protection units need to be the same model number.

WGH

You should use a combination of surge and battery backup for external backup drives, especially if the drives are the spinning kind. Although the arm will automatically park during a power failure you still could lose data:

"Although hardware damage should not occur, data loss is still possible. If writing is in progress, the hard drive will finish writing the current sector before retracting to the parking area so that sectors are never corrupted as a direct result of power failure. However, because data that has recently been sent to the drive may not have been committed to the platters (they are briefly held in the onboard cache for performance), that data may be lost on a power failure."

A small APC or other name brand battery backup is all you need, you don't need to overthink or over engineer this solution.

charmerci

Meh - get a SurgeX anyway. It improved the sound of my system - and this from skeptic that didn't think it was possible.

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
Thanks for all of your recommendations.  You've given me much to think about.