KWA 150 REVIEW - 6 MOONS - By Srajan!

modwright

KWA 150 REVIEW - 6 MOONS - By Srajan!
« on: 28 Apr 2009, 06:15 pm »
The first official review of our KWA 150 is now up, at 6Moons.com:

www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/modwright5/amp.html

We at ModWright Instruments are grateful for the review and feel that it is a spot-on evaluation of the product that we set out to design.

Sincerely,

Dan W.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2014, 05:34 pm by modwright »

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: KWA 150 REVIEW - 6 MOONS - By Srajan!
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2009, 06:17 pm »
Congratulations on the review..and all the great feedback.  I look forward to my monoblocks soon.  :wink:

rydenfan

« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2009, 07:36 pm »
Dan, congrats on the glowing review :thumb: I know Srajan is a big SET guy so that review is most interesting.

I look forward to next week  :D

Bostonbean

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2009, 08:48 pm »
Congratulations on the review..and all the great feedback.  I look forward to my monoblocks soon.  :wink:

Are you moving from the Spectron amps to the ModWright?  If so, would you mind sharing your reasons?  Thanks

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2009, 09:05 pm »

Are you moving from the Spectron amps to the ModWright?  If so, would you mind sharing your reasons?  Thanks

I may likely keep both.  I have a need for a 2 channel system elsewhere, as well as one of the monoblocks (Spectron or MW) for my hirez surround (SP Tech Continuums).  Too early to tell what will fit where.  Nice thing is that both can be made stereo or mono (or biamped, which all 5 of my SP Techs can accept).

WG

« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2009, 11:49 pm »
Ted,

I'm very much looking forward to reading your impressions comparing the new Modwright's to the Spectrons.  I take it you will be doing this on at least two different pairs of speakers as well.  If your back can take it, this should be great fun.

Regards,
Will

modwright

« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2009, 04:16 pm »
I already have one customer who compared our amps in mono, to the Spectrons, in mono also, with electrostats.  The sonic preference was definitely the ModWright, according to our customer.  Admittedly the Spectrons have more raw power, but the feedback was that the MWI amps were more musical and engaging.

I too look forward to Ted's impressions, as well as Davids.

Thanks,

Dan

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2009, 06:20 pm »
David's amp is the Plinius.  He replaced the Spectron several months ago, although he might be able to compare with some memory of its sound I guess.

modwright

« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2009, 08:08 pm »
I realize that he has a different amp now.  I just meant that I look forward to his feedback, period.

Thanks Ted,

Dan

Philistine

« Reply #9 on: 30 Apr 2009, 12:06 am »
My KWA has been running for a couple of weeks now and is opening up nicely, most of my listening is at the opposite end of the spectrum to that carried out by Srajan in the 6Moons review - in my case low efficinency speakers at high volume levels.  I have run the KWA at lower volumes and can repilicate the review comments that it is capable of delivering a full quality sound at low levels, predominantly this has been with the KWA set to the higher bias level.  I find most amps struggle to adequately perform like this at lower volumes. 

In terms of raw decibels the KWA 150 is able to come very close to my 500 watt MF amp, but has a deeper and more controlled bass slam that is remarkable.  I have not heard the Spectrons so it will be interesting for Ted to see how it performs.

The most adequate metaphor I find for the KWA is auto related: when I first moved from Europe to the US I was determined to buy a muscle car but found that they certainly gave me the straight line A-B speed but lacked the handling, normal driving finesse and quality that I was used to from a German brand such as BMW/Audi/Porsche.  The German brands gave me the quality, driving around town comfort, high speed handling and straight line speed I was looking for.  I see the KWA 150 along the same lines, it's excellent at all volume levels, capable of performing with the whole gamut of speakers designers and has the style, quality and looks to go with it.