Modwright Sony 9100ES -- should it be always on

cwt108

Modwright Sony 9100ES -- should it be always on
« on: 29 Apr 2009, 09:14 pm »
Hope to hear some feedbacks from 9100ES current users.

Do you always leave your Sony Unit power-on? I was reading a book on audiophile sound another day. The author suggested that we should leave the digital unit always on or at least turn it on 24 hours before the listening.

What is your opinion? My concern is this. If the 9100ES laser head is always on when the power is on, the unit's life might be significantly shorter. I remember that Dan suggested that we left the Sony Player on but turn off the PS9.0 from the menu.

Any feedback/comment will be appreciated.

PS. Dan just sent out the newly modified PS9.0 to me today. Will post my feedback on the improvement.

mdabb

Re: Modwright Sony 9100ES -- should it be always on
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2009, 04:18 am »
Hello,

Not sure if it is just a user setting (can't remember) but my 9100ES turns off automatically after maybe twenty minutes or so when there is no activity. All I usually do is turn on the power supply a half an hour prior to use and then turn on the player when I'm ready to listen. It usually takes another half an hour of playing before the sound really comes alive  :icon_twisted: !!!

I have also had the PS9.0 upgrade done and it is like having a new player all over again. Things really changed the more I listen and the new upgrade has made a positive improvement in sound. I believe you will happy !!!

As for tubes, I am currently using an older Bugle Boy GZ34 in the PS9.0 and a pair of Tung Sol 6900's in the unit. So far this is the best sounding combo of tubes I've tried yet along with my LS36.5, which I am using a Philips MB GZ34 and a pair of 6H30-DR's. Speakers are Dali Helicon 800's and a Pass Labs X150.5 amp.

cwt108

Re: Modwright Sony 9100ES -- should it be always on
« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2009, 05:22 am »
I am not aware that the Sony turns itself off after 20 minutes. I think that mine actually stayed on (probably just a setting).
Cannot wait for the new PS9.0 arrive.

I am using Bendix 6900 and Mullard for my 9100ES and also the same tubes for my LS36.5. Hopefully, one day, I could change the the two-box set.

I am always curious about the comparison between Transporter and 9100ES (a pair of Sonus Faber Cremona and CI D100s). Any feedback from anyone?

For now, I am a happy owner of my Modwright 9100ES.