F-1 Great Niki Lauda has passed

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
F-1 Great Niki Lauda has passed
« on: 27 May 2019, 04:32 pm »
This passed week one of the greats of F-1 since the 70's, Niki Lauda died. Too early at 70, yet his skill and accomplishments were a life's full. Consulting with the Mercedes-AMG (correction) team since retirement, he continued to contribute to the F-1 scene. Condolences to his family and friends. To those of us who were able to watch him in his prime as a driver, remember his technical skill, ferocity, and perseverance. If you haven't seen Ron Howard's 2014 movie Rush, it tells some of his story, and is a well done dramatization. Fans of F-1 will miss you Niki. Rest In Peace
« Last Edit: 27 May 2019, 06:24 pm by ArthurDent »

Goosepond

• Virna!
Re: F-1 Great Niki Lauda has passed
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2019, 04:42 pm »
I remember seeing that godawful crash (maybe at Monaco) of his. It was a miracle he even survived that fire and every time I saw his face, I thought about how painful that must have been.

Gene

Mike B.

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2019, 04:58 pm »
RIP Niki. He survived and won more championships and went on to mentor many drivers. A inspirational human

won ton on

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2019, 06:17 pm »
A D        He actually worked with Mercedes-AMG, and his crash was at the Nurburgring in Germany.
             RIP Niki.

Emil

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2019, 06:29 pm »

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2019, 06:31 pm »
A D        He actually worked with Mercedes-AMG, and his crash was at the Nurburgring in Germany.
             RIP Niki.

wto correction noted. Watched the Monte Carlo race yesterday, and as older minds sometimes do, associated Hamilton with McLaren rather than his current team Mercedes. Getting old & drifty.

won ton on

« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2019, 07:42 pm »
A D       He did win a f-1 title with McLaren, it is getting a bit boring seeing  Merecedes win all the time

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2019, 08:12 pm »
RIP Niki.

My brother-in-law stationed in Germany liked in 70s liked Niki and used to drive around europe to see him race.

Niki said in a recent interview on utoob that the Rush movie was about 80% correct. Kudos to Ron Howard.

Niki's "grownup in the room" influence on the entire F1 sport will be sorely missed.