"R" upgrades: Seeking a clarification.

Bosh

« on: 2 Feb 2004, 05:03 am »
I purchased a T6 Phono-only preamp just about one year ago to this date.  Do the 'R' (or any other) upgrades currently on offer from AVA apply to this unit at that vintage?

On one hand I'll be slightly pissed if the answer is Yes (more $$$ into something I thought I already paid for) and on the other I'll be worried if the answer is No (because, to be honest, this unit sounds a little starved in the power department).

(Anticipating possible question; cart is a Grado Reference Master, High Output version).

TIA

avahifi_lj

« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2004, 04:06 pm »
he "R" upgrades for the T6 line are not the same as the "R" upgrades for the T7 line; however, the regulation circuit we added to the T6 design does enhance the unit nicely.  I suggest calling Frank to discuss the cartridge/preamp combination if you have questions regarding the operation (651-330-9871).

Unlike many manufacturers we try and offer the latest circuits to people who have previous generation products.  The updates/upgrades are offered at a significant discount over having to purchase a whole new unit.  There is obviously more profit in selling new equipment, but Frank has always felt it important to support his past customers.  We have many customers who have older generation products and are very happy with what they have and see no reason to upgrade.  Other customers like to keep on the leading edge and upgrade frequently.  The decision to upgrade a product is the customers, we just like to make sure the option is available.

Thanks for your interest in AVA products!

Larry Jenkins

Bosh

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2004, 05:35 pm »
Fair enough, pardon the cranky attitude of the originl post.  Now, about "the courage to change the things I can"...

Would any upgrade available increase the available output on the T6 phono only pre?  What may be at work here is the fact that, due to a move, I've had to go with much longer pre-to-amp interconnects (but then again, they're a VERY low cap/low resistance design, so...?).

The cart is a high output (4.mv?) moving iron from Grados Reference line, so it ain't like I've suddenly swapped in a micro-micro volt MC or something.  And I don't think the tubes come into play here (NOS Mazdas), or do they?

Thanks

(the real issue may be simply that I HATE shipping stuff away :x )