Minimum Length for cables.

jb26

Minimum Length for cables.
« on: 27 Sep 2011, 11:21 am »
Hi,

I wanted to ask if there's a minimum length required for cables to ensure performance.

The reason I ask is that my dac sits on top of my amp, so the distance between the dac output & amp input is about 8cm.  However, my interconnector cables are 1m & are coiled behind the equipment.  For more aesthetic call management they would be about 20cm long.

It seems that interconnect cables are rarely available in distances less than 1m. Is this length just 'standard' or is it required for a quality transmission?

I'm asking specifically about interconnectors, but guess the same principle applies to speaker cables.

Jonathon Janusz

Re: Minimum Length for cables.
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2011, 12:29 pm »
My DAC sits right next to my amp, and I had Jason make me a pair of half meter long cables.  Sounds great to me and no mess behind the stand.  I also am running a half meter cable between my external hard drive and mac mini.

The USB between my computer and DAC, however, is one meter long.  When I asked the manufacturer about having a custom shorter length made, I was told that it could be done, but there was something regarding the cable length that was part of the design of the cable, and it would be considered a compromised design for changing it.

I guess that makes it clear as mud. . . can it be done?  Yes.  Does it change the performance of the cable in doing so?   :scratch:

Cheers!

srb

wywires

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2011, 04:57 pm »
In general shorter is always better, IMO. I've read reports that digital cables at 1.5M perform better than 1.0M. My tests have not shown any difference.

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2011, 04:29 am »
In general shorter is always better, IMO. I've read reports that digital cables at 1.5M perform better than 1.0M. My tests have not shown any difference.

Agreed

Æ

« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2011, 06:28 am »
I don't know about "digital" cables, but with wire, shorter means less resistance, less capacitance and less inductance, which translates to less insertion loss and less frequency response aberrations. I have a few interconnects as short as 18 inches.