Three pieces of advice

Mariusz Uszynski

Re: Three pieces of advice
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jul 2023, 02:03 am »
1. Family is more important than gear. Stick to an equipment and music budget that is appropriate for your circumstances and spend time with people, not just your system.
2. Listen long and often before locking in an opinion about what matters and what doesn't, and what's good and what isn't.
3. Before deciding on an equipment upgrade, try moving your gear and your listening position around. You might end up with new priorities.

I'm bit high right now (it's medicinal), but that's a wise words, well said.Peace out.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #21 on: 30 Jul 2023, 02:52 am »
1. Start with a budget, which includes having a means to pay for it.

I always said to have a budget, and apply it to the areas of your sound system.

Example: $1K for the analog (turntable, cartridge, and phono pre-amp), $1K (for the amplification and control), etc.
When you upgrade, you double or triple the $1K. An option is to sell the original area of your sound system (if you don't decide to keep it for a secondary system) to fund the upgrade. Deals can be had with used equipment, but shouldn't be the end all focus. Look for sales and closeouts. Definitely check out direct-to-customer vendors at audio festivals.

2. If your system can't handle all kinds of music, it's only partially good.

Some people will not agree, but it is the truth. You should not care how classical music sounds on their horns with tubes. Look at how many people on this forum listen to metal, electronica, popular music, and the like. Listen to your music, not theirs. If a vendor at a will not allow you to listen to your music, they might be hiding the fact that their overpriced crap can't handle it (or they are looking down at you and your music). I witnessed a popular vendor play rap music for someone who was auditioning the system.

3. Listen to the music, not the equipment.

When your favorite band or song is playing, rock out. Don't complain about imaginary faults, In my time at audio festivals, only once or twice I had to leave a room over terrible sounding speakers.

vrao81

« Reply #22 on: 30 Jul 2023, 04:15 am »
1) Price is no indicator of quality
2) Newer is not always better
3) Don't trust reviews
4) Buy used whenever possible
5) Even better, DIY
6) Don't spend excessive amounts on cables
7) Headphones give you better bang for the buck compared with speakers

Mike-48

« Reply #23 on: 30 Jul 2023, 04:48 pm »
1. Take advantage of the often-overlooked upgrades: Moving the speakers, moving the listener, and treating the room. Your equipment may be better than you think. In doing this, a measurement setup (e.g., free REW and a UMIK-1 for ~$80) is not absolutely necessary, but it can help you get great results quicker.

2. If you're thinking of changing cables or you find some recordings great and others unpleasant, consider adding a simple defeatable equalizer to your system, such as something from the Schiit Loki line. The fact is, some recordings are great and others are unpleasant.

3. Buying used is not always an economical approach. Once a system reaches a certain level (let's say "very good" to your ears), it may be more economical to pay the new-equipment price in exchange for an extended home trial of anything you're considering. That can save a lot of equipment churning, which is itself expensive.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #24 on: 30 Jul 2023, 10:26 pm »
1) Price is no indicator of quality
2) Newer is not always better
3) Don't trust reviews
4) Buy used whenever possible
5) Even better, DIY
6) Don't spend excessive amounts on cables
7) Headphones give you better bang for the buck compared with speakers
Very well said, I agree with all these items.
I will use this your post on other topic in the Starting Block Circle about the same subject.

Rocket

« Reply #25 on: 31 Jul 2023, 12:48 pm »
Hi Zuman,

Really good advice that I should have thought of so many years ago :).

Cheers Rod

mick wolfe

« Reply #26 on: 31 Jul 2023, 04:37 pm »
A lot of great advice offered here and a few clunkers. From my experience, one of the better simple pieces of advice was mix4fix's #2. If your system can't handle all kinds of music, it's only partially good.  Two noted clunkers or poor advice were offered by the OP. 1. Avoid horn speakers. 2. Speaker sensitivity isn't important. Everything considered though, mostly excellent/positive advice can be found in this thread.

viggen

« Reply #27 on: 31 Jul 2023, 06:24 pm »
1. do not Avoid horn speakers.
2. Speaker sensitivity is especially important.
3. Keep buying and selling even if you're happy with what you got assuming you have the time for it

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #28 on: 31 Jul 2023, 10:28 pm »
I cant blame him on horn, it need a big room and a good tube amp, I had listened a AvantGarde Uno(or Duo?) in a top system/big room and was a disappointing expenrience, the soundstage was 2D and horizontally narrow.

The only horn I want to try is the Frugal Horn.

borism

« Reply #29 on: 1 Aug 2023, 12:22 am »
Understanding that it's a journey and what seems like a final destination is only another way station. So, have fun!

PTCannizzaro

« Reply #30 on: 16 Oct 2023, 07:55 pm »
Sounds good!!!

unfairlane

« Reply #31 on: 17 Oct 2023, 11:11 am »

Do you know anyone who owns a wery good sounding system and (mybe) a lot of experience? A well seasoned audiophile?
   Before buying or deciding anything, ask if he will bother to help you listen to the component you`re concidering to buy.

And, do not waste your money on expensive cables or gadgets.

richidoo

« Reply #32 on: 17 Oct 2023, 02:00 pm »
1. Audio hope is dope.

2. Mid-fi really is good enough.

3. Ego is never satisfied.

Bonus track:
4. A healthy body and mind are the greatest hifi upgrades.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #33 on: 17 Oct 2023, 03:29 pm »
What are three pieces of advice you would offer your younger self entering this hobby?

Here's mine:

1. Avoid horn speakers.
2. Speaker sensitivity isn't especially important.
3. Watch the used market to see what new gear people are keeping/selling.

None of the above. Choose a budget. You are building a system. Synergy matters.

charles

fredgarvin

« Reply #34 on: 17 Oct 2023, 04:29 pm »
If you keep cats in the house, avoid speakers covered in 'socks'.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #35 on: 17 Oct 2023, 10:30 pm »
Only one piece of advice:  Just buy the piece of gear you really want in the first place.  It will save you $$ in the long run.

Hi Tyson. So much for Cheap and Cheerful, ha. Looking at your gallery, I don't see the Spacials. Did you sell those in favour for the Exotica's? Audiophools need to know.

Rocket Ronny

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #36 on: 17 Oct 2023, 11:38 pm »
Hi Tyson. So much for Cheap and Cheerful, ha. Looking at your gallery, I don't see the Spacials. Did you sell those in favour for the Exotica's? Audiophools need to know.

Rocket Ronny

Yep, sold the X3's and bought a pair of NX-Oticas with triple OB sub towers to take their place.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #37 on: 18 Oct 2023, 02:26 am »
I find that surprising as you felt the Beyma air motion was one of the best highs. Anything you can share between the two? Thanks

Rocket Ronny

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #38 on: 18 Oct 2023, 04:39 am »
I find that surprising as you felt the Beyma air motion was one of the best highs. Anything you can share between the two? Thanks

Rocket Ronny

Main thing is I moved up my Super 7's from my downstairs HT system to my 2 channel system on the main floor because the Super 7's really are better than the X3's for music. 

I tried using the X3's in my HT setup and they sounded good, but just didn't produce enough bass on action movies.  So I sold them and got the NX-Studio's and the triple OB stacks which are much better suited to the job. 

If I were to compare the NX-Otica to the X3's for just music, the NX-Oticas are superior, for my tastes.  The NX-Oticas are closer to a 'cost and space no object' design, while the X3's are more of a 'superlative sound in a compact package' design.  If I were still married and had to deal with the WAF issues, no doubt I'd still have the X3's because they certainly are more elegant in a living room space. 
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2023, 06:45 am by Tyson »

jpm

« Reply #39 on: 18 Oct 2023, 09:32 pm »
So I sold them ...

To me, which launched me on an almost finished amplifier odyssey.  They're perfect for my room as I can fine tune the bass to account for the  gigantic bass trap (leather sectional) located between where I do most of my listening and the speakers.